Another scoop thread.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your moans, I need some help choosing a scoop.

1. The obvious choice would be a stealth scoop. Normally I'm all for getting the best, but holy smokes that is an expensive shovel. I'm looking at a 920iX Hybrid on the bay, its $411 CAD dollars with shipping, not including customs. Say I wanted to splurge for a nice handle, then I would be looking at $583 PLUS customs, well over $600 for a shovel. lol
I can blow a stack of bills with the best of them, but I am kinda taken aback by this. They have smaller models, and an older model, but I wouldn't want to "settle" for anything in that snack bracket.

2. A more rational choice is a Stavr scoop. Most of their models would cost me about $225 shipped, plus customs. The hardest part is deciding which model, as there are several. Something like the Monstrik or Evroexcavator might do. I have done a fair amount of research on these, I think they are sturdy enough.

3. "SKIF" sand scoop. As you many know there are other sellers of scoops on eBay from the Ukraine. Most are obviously not as nice as the Stavr, perhaps copies, however this "SKIF" scoop in particular looks fairly decent, albeit maybe a little rough around the edges. A great price of $140 shipped plus customs. Is anyone using one of these? He seems to have sold a fair amount, the feedback is positive, although the feedback is generally left right after purchase and may not accurately reflect performance.
(google "skif scoop ebay" if you want to see it.)

All of the scoops mentioned are comparable in size, 2mm metal thickness and have similar structural support. (Although the sunspot is the biggest @9" and has a couple extra gussets on the inside I think)
I will be using it with a 10" Excalibur in the freshwater. (I may use it on the dry beach too, but first and foremost I would like a sturdy water digger.)
Digging will be sand mostly first, AFAIK, but I'm sure I will end up in some silt and clay, potentially weeds or a few rocks as well.

So ya I'm kinda disappointed with the stealthscoop pricing, but I would sure like to have one, they are sexy. I like to think that a top quality digging implement would last a long time, therefor not really needing a lifetime warranty if it inflates the price. Perhaps I am mistaken, not sure what to expect yet as far as durability goes with these. I will agree you get what you pay for, to a certain extent. I certainly don't have to spend $600 to get a decent land shovel that's for sure.

So maybe you can talk me into the stealth, or perhaps provide a review of the SKIF.

P.S. I kinda like those round "Henry" scoops or the one made by "Evolution", but at around 6" I feel they are too small for water detecting. I may be interested in a 7" or 8" if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Upvote 0

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get the 920IX hybrid. I just got mine 2 weeks ago, I hunt everyday, And I love it. 4 1/2 lbs with wood handle so you can use it in or out of the water.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here's a pix of mine, customized to be a single-arm action. Added a pistol grip and arm-cuff, to mimic a "hipmount" type operation. Never have to bend over again, or stop to get 2-hands on the rod, etc.... :headbang: I started with a long-handled stainless steel scoop from ebay. There's a dealer there who goes by : "borderlineengineering". He took a distinct custom order, to get the basket angle *just right*, and some adjustment to the weight (you don't need the super heavy quage rod. And he added more holes in the duck-bill area of the scoop, to further lighten it up (doesn't compromise strength).

Then I had a friend who does stainless steel welding to add on the pistol grip, and holes drilled to make for my own arm cuff. For the downward stroke, you merely flip it around upside down the opposite way. (if that makes sense). Notes:

1) Distance of over all length is crucial. So it doesn't drag the ground as you walk.

2) Angle of basket to rod is crucial, so you don't find yourself having to contort, to get the right angle of slice for your downward strokes.

3) Distance of pistol grip to arm cuff crucial, so that all the weight doesn't go to a single part of your arm bones or elbow. Doh!

Attachments

• 2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 2012-10-25_16.26.01.jpg
    2012-10-25_16.26.01.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 132
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 176

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 720i hybrid and they're handle cost around $215 and another $30 for their wooden handle. I highly recommend it and the 90 degree version. I have a Trex (quite heavier) with the angle mount and much prefer the 90 degree stealth.

Last edited:

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Live and learn when it comes to scoops. Atlas thats the case for me. I purchased one of the eBay Ukraine scoops and they are actually very well made and I have no issue with the quality of it. But since it's my first scoop and hind sight is 20/20 I would go for a wider and deeper digging scoop since I detect primarily in the water and you want to find your targets sooner than later and the smaller width and length on my scoop makes recovering targets just a bit harder but like I said the scoop is well made.

OP
OP
P

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the 920IX hybrid. I just got mine 2 weeks ago, I hunt everyday, And I love it. 4 1/2 lbs with wood handle so you can use it in or out of the water.

That is a little lighter then I expected. Thanks for the input, very tempting.

Here's a pix of mine, customized to be a single-arm action. Added a pistol grip and arm-cuff, to mimic a "hipmount" type operation. Never have to bend over again, or stop to get 2-hands on the rod, etc.... :headbang: I started with a long-handled stainless steel scoop from ebay. There's a dealer there who goes by : "borderlineengineering". He took a distinct custom order, to get the basket angle *just right*, and some adjustment to the weight (you don't need the super heavy quage rod. And he added more holes in the duck-bill area of the scoop, to further lighten it up (doesn't compromise strength).

Then I had a friend who does stainless steel welding to add on the pistol grip, and holes drilled to make for my own arm cuff. For the downward stroke, you merely flip it around upside down the opposite way. (if that makes sense). Notes:

1) Distance of over all length is crucial. So it doesn't drag the ground as you walk.

2) Angle of basket to rod is crucial, so you don't find yourself having to contort, to get the right angle of slice for your downward strokes.

3) Distance of pistol grip to arm cuff crucial, so that all the weight doesn't go to a single part of your arm bones or elbow. Doh!

I found the page. They might be a little small for me but I do like the design. The arm cuff and peg seems like a great idea, I like the idea of one handed operation, I will probably try that.
What angle did you end up settling on? (pole vs bottom of basket) I suppose the angle of the mouth may play into this as well?

The 720i hybrid and they're handle cost around $215 and another $30 for their wooden handle. I highly recommend it and the 90 degree version. I have a Trex (quite heavier) with the angle mount and much prefer the 90 degree stealth.

Interesting that you prefer the 90 degree. I did notice that the shipping is lower on their website as opposed to eBay. I guess part of my problem is the Canadian dollar is a little weak these days, the 720 would cost me $365 CAD plus potential customs. I wish I could try it out to see if I could get away with the 7" version, although it's within around $50 of the 9" so I could go either way on that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigger is better when it comes to scoop, especially when trying to recover targets in water..

OP
OP
P

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live and learn when it comes to scoops. Atlas thats the case for me. I purchased one of the eBay Ukraine scoops and they are actually very well made and I have no issue with the quality of it. But since it's my first scoop and hind sight is 20/20 I would go for a wider and deeper digging scoop since I detect primarily in the water and you want to find your targets sooner than later and the smaller width and length on my scoop makes recovering targets just a bit harder but like I said the scoop is well made.

OK you sold me on the bigger scoop, this was my gut feeling as well. I'm going for gold, so go big or go home I suppose.

I just bought the 920iX Hybrid scoop. The warranty would be nice should I ever need it.

They also have a model with the "toe pad", but I wasn't about to start adding more options (beyond the hybrid option), I'm assuming that stepping on the back of the basket is fine as it appears to be the same angle as the "toe pad"?

Thanks all for your input.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sending you a link to articles I wrote - you will find one on scoops in there

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... I found the page. They might be a little small for me but I do like the design. The arm cuff and peg seems like a great idea, I like the idea of one handed operation, I will probably try that.
What angle did you end up settling on? (pole vs bottom of basket) I suppose the angle of the mouth may play into this as well?....

You can see, from the pix, the angle that works for me. It's set in such a way as this: Imagine that you're about to long-handle-hoe weeds or whatever. That's a slight lean/bend forward, right ? Then the downward stroke of the basket slicing the sand would be at an angle of attack that won't cause you to need to contort your arms or posture, in order to get the proper "dig" angle.

I've got some videos of the scoop in action retrieving targets. I hope to someday get my duff in gear and host them to Youtube.

OP
OP
P

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sending you a link to articles I wrote - you will find one on scoops in there

Great article, I enjoyed it. Hopefully there are no sharks in my lakes!

I will peruse your other articles as well.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I can't see an arm cuff on my scoop giving me an edge. It would drive me nuts having one on my detector as well, It would be so awkward and I would feel like a cripple with two crutches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see an arm cuff on my scoop giving me an edge. It would drive me nuts having one on my detector as well, It would be so awkward and I would feel like a cripple with two crutches.
Armcuff on scoop gives you more lifting power.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

haha, now you're REALLY giving me incentive to post the video I've made on youtube. Yes I've had lots of people look at these pictures, and think to themselves "that doesn't make any sense", or "how does that work in actual dig/practice?". But after 10 minutes of getting used to the feel, stroke procedure, etc..., you'd never want to go back to other types again. I never bend over (more than a slight degree) in digging targets.

I had told the maker (who hosts that Ebay store), that I would get some videos of his product that I customized, in action. I made the video, but ... now will get to hosted form on youtube to share with y'all.

[AU:Magnet]

Apr 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember with BIG wide scoops, like these big Stealths, if you don't get the target on the first or second attempt, it can be 2ft down in no time. How loud your signal is, will determine how far you go in from the first attempt. If it sounds rather shallow, DON'T go all the way down with your first scoop load, if you miss it, it's gone,, it can take several attempts to get it again regardless of scoop size. Take half scoops first, it will save you big back and arm strains.

My old scoop was custom made, bit by bit as I needed it, it turned out to be over 30 lbs and ridiculous. I buried quite a lot of targets by missing them, never to be found. Detectors don't give good signals over fresh cave in overburden sand, it's not compact enough for good sonar. So go to other signals, and come back after an hour or so, you might pick up the signal from that lost deep attempt.

I am working on a new scoop at the moment, that I believe to be better than the stealth in design, I have 2 tricks up my sleeve that the stealth makers haven't thought of yet, I will post pictures after it is made and proven, by this stage, I will put a patent on it, it's one of the best ideas, yet, no-one has thought of it. I am using a modded Diamond head at present
[when I wade, I mostly hookah], I have modified it as a test dummy for now, and works fine.

The new scoop basket will be made out of 2205 stainless, way harder than normal 300 series. I am tipping stealth are onto this already, as if their scoops were made out of 300 series, with all those holes and not much meat in between them, I would bend those baskets in no time, over here, there are a lot of rocks and shells, to me the stealths are not made for this crushing, bending impact with rocks, [unless they are using high grade Stainless like 2205]

The stealths look awesome for sandy beaches. I'm not talking about pebbles, but fist size and above ironstone jagged rocks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions