ship wreckage found on little talbot island ,fla

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
part of a old ship ---burnt hole and peg/dowel type construction method---(so old ship) has been found about 1 mile north of the parking lot on the beach / surf zone area---go in the park (cost $4) go to the parking lot---walk to beach go northward---find wreckage ---no metal detecting allowed or "taking of stuff"---so just "look" at it----very ,very interesting ship. Ivan

Upvote 0

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Ivan,
I am a little confused by your comment on not taking anything. Please forgive me as I have never MD on the beach in Fla. but I was under the impression that you could treasure hunt in the water as long as you did not use a MD? Is this not true or are there just special circumstances with this shipwreck. I would really like to know as i was planning on taking a scoop into the water and bagging up everything and running it under the MD when I came out. Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eli Stepp

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
little talbot island is a aquatic preserve area ---you can't even take drift wood off the beachs-the southern end of the island (where there are NO known wreaks at) allows metal detecting water line to dune foot (on the beach)---been there myself-- never seen such a "picked clean" spot in my life---3 hours for one dang screw cap---that was it!! ---the northern end has several known shipwrecks in and around the nassau sound area between big/little talbot island and amelia island and NO METAL DETECTING IS ALLOWED on the northern half of the island ---I wish to god it was---my pop and I (as a kid) used to detect there long ago before it became a "protected zone" there was and still is I'm sure a great amount of stuff to be found there.----the wreck site is thus protected and removing stuff would be highly frowned on--- but I still think its interesting to look at bit of history in person---I do alot of research on shipwrecks in the area---I do believe there is a 1715 era shipwreck in this area --- it went down somewhere between 39 to 40 miles north of st augustine and "parts" of its wreckage went ashore according to the 3 sources I have seen on it ---(1 english report--"likewize a large quanity of plate is cast away about 40 miles northward of st augustine") and two spanish reports---"wreckage found on the coast north of st augustine" and "15 leagues to the leeward of st augustine was found parts of large ship on the shore" note a spanish league was 2.6 miles ---so about 39 miles to the "leeward" or north---my information is solidly backed up--- these papers come from the english governor of virgina to the british home sec and from a messages to the king of spain from people accountible for the treasure fleets where abouts and the goods on them.--- thats about as solid as a source can be in my book. ---your stuff better be right beacuse if you screw up the report the king has your head lopped off-- Ivan

elistepp

Feb 1, 2007
Ivan,
I did not think about it beng a protected area. I have heard alot about these areas and didn't even think about that. Thank you for the information. So, do you think what I propose to do would be legal(scooping randomnly and bringing the stuff on shore to MD)? Definately don't want to get into any trouble but would like to give this a try. I know that it would be worse than a shot in the dark but would still like to give it a whirl. Thanks again for your information.

Eli Stepp

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
eye balling ::) only method--- as I said no metal detecting is allowed on the northern part so you could not have a detector where there no metal detecting allowed ;D Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread