Two good days at Zuma Beach in Calif

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0171.jpg Wednesday morning I was getting ready to drive up to Oxnard, Ca to check out two lots that have been good to me over the years when I heard a text come in on my phone. My friend Bill Paxton gave me a heads up that it might be a good idea to give Zuma a try, he thought their might be a good cut. As you can see by the picture he hit the nail on the head. When I got there their were coins all over the place. I mean some were just laying on the sand, and to top it all not another detector in sight.:headbang:

I had so much fun on Wednesday that I went back today and another friend joined me. He ended up with 3 silver halves (two were walkers) and a buffalo, and some other goodies.

My two day take was one walker half, clad half, 5 silver quarters, 8 silver dimes (1 barber, 2 mercs, and 5 silver rosies), 2 buffalo nickels, 1 wheat penny, 1 silver ring, 1 gold ring (yesterday), 1 gold chain (today) stamped Italy (18kt), 1 silver pendant, junk ring, some type of token, and misc other items. Plus a ton of clad. The silver coins are toasted but they still count in my book.

The silver dimes and lot of the clad dimes were very thin. The silver dimes came in at 12-38, 39, and 40 (used the CTX 3030). Must have been because they were thin :dontknow:

Two mornings of detecting and I didn't see another detector (except my buddy) until I was leaving today around 11. A first for me was the walker at the beach and also my first 18kt gold chain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the first picture. Should have noticed it was turned the wrong way. My bad:dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow... Congrats on the nice haul. Sounds like you had virgin territory. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, must be a coincidence :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You make me sick. Sick sick sick . Agghhkkk ! Someone up here was saying that the southern direction swell bump should merit a check on south facing beaches. But after studying the swell models in the days prior and during that, it just didn't seem like it had enough "umph" (duration of length of days, and heights) to get too excited about. Well I was wrong: a buddy of mine got scores of clad , and a few gold & silver jewelry. Congratz to you for stumbling on the right spot at the right time. Thanx for posting.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some awesome finds! I'm curious about some details on finding the gold chain with your CTX3030. How deep was the chain and do you recall if the chain was in a wad or small ball? Or was it stretched out and unfolded?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent talked to Bill in some time. Winner winner chicken dinner on that chain for sure. Harder to come by than chicken lips lol.

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, love that chain! Looks like she's got some weight to her!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW!!! You hit the jackpot, Randy!:hello2:

Great pic of the cut; I'm waiting for a setting like that up here in CT.

Congrats on the beautiful finds...that gold chain is stunning!:headbang:

Keep 'em comin'

Lorraine

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
great finds! and sweet mix of gold and big silver. I found a few of those really thin dimes recently, and they rang in the same... high 30s to maybe 41 or 42. They are probably half of the weight or less, so it makes sense they'd ring in lower.

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: I've been there done that Tom! If I hadn't been heading out that way I probably wouldn't have made the trip. Thank God I got the call. Thanks for the reply!

You make me sick. Sick sick sick . Agghhkkk ! Someone up here was saying that the southern direction swell bump should merit a check on south facing beaches. But after studying the swell models in the days prior and during that, it just didn't seem like it had enough "umph" (duration of length of days, and heights) to get too excited about. Well I was wrong: a buddy of mine got scores of clad , and a few gold & silver jewelry. Congratz to you for stumbling on the right spot at the right time. Thanx for posting.

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill is a good guy! I've learned a lot from him. If it wasn't for Bill I would have never pre-ordered the E-Trac when it was getting ready to come. Simply put when Bill suggest something you need listen. He's a great person and good detecting partner! Just wish he could get out more :thumbsup:

Havent talked to Bill in some time. Winner winner chicken dinner on that chain for sure. Harder to come by than chicken lips lol.

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chain was two feet deep, just kidding:laughing7: It was very shallow probably 1 to 3 inches deep and it was tangled up in a bunch. It came in with crappy tones, I just knew it wasn't iron so I dug it. Took out a scoop of sand, kicked the pile with my foot and saw the chain. It was a pleasant surprise. It's been years since I've found one, I was over due:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies!

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone up here was saying that the southern direction swell bump should merit a check on south facing beaches.

Grasshopper!!:tongue3:

SnT

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks for that information. It pretty much fits with how I see and hear most chains are found, unless of course they're using a PI machine. Great find, good ear!

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sleepy! I've learned to keep the coil pretty much flat on the sand, I grid, and I move slow. Pretty sure I would have missed it if I wasn't moving slowly or if the coil had been an inch or two off the sand. Just got lucky :headbang:
Awesome! Thanks for that information. It pretty much fits with how I see and hear most chains are found, unless of course they're using a PI machine. Great find, good ear!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread