Infinium noise in the water drives me nuts! Tuning tips?

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright guys, I'm still struggling with noisy operation. How are Infinium users dialing their machines in for shallow water use in waves?
I balance on wet sand then get in the water. I end up with discrimination at 3 to quiet it down.
Am I losing much depth? Is this just part of using this machine?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All machines that use discrim. lose depth

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Todd, I've been struggling with this same problem for a few years! I feel the machine is a loud machine! It must be properly ground balanced and I've determined that the coil cord should be wound tight all the way up the shaft! Thanks for the pdf, I'm going to give it a read!!

SoCalJohn

Greenie
Nov 4, 2007
Keep it as low as you can. I keep mine around three at the most. You will start to sacrifice depth with more than that for sure.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My method helps me, but it is the nature of the beast. I ground balance at the water's edge while in the slow mode and not taking a wave over the coil. I do not set DISC above 3...above 3 I start to "loose" nickle targets. I try not to detect in less than 3 feet of water if the surf is more than a couple of inches. The higher the surf, the deeper the area I stay in. Sometimes I search for the quietest frequency if the "falsing" is too much.

As for the coil cable: I have the smallest loop from the coil directly to the shaft so that the coil can be rotated its full range. Then run it straight up the shaft and use electrical tape to hold it in place until I get to the lower and upper shaft point at which I start to wrap the coil around the shaft up to the control box area. Here I use the electrical tape to hold the wraps tight.

I have a shaft for each of the coils I use on the Infinium so I do not have to tape the coil cable when I change between coils.

As Casper said, with an increase in discrimination you will loose some depth, you will also loose nickles. If you loose nickles, you will start loosing gold. No matter how bad the "falsing" gets I never turn the discrimination up to the point of loosing a nickle target.

While swinging, the more consistent you are in keeping the coil parallel to the bottom, not lifting the coil at a sweep's end and the more uniform the bottom is the less "falsing" you will hear. And remember the more and faster the depth of the water changes, mainly due to wave action, the more "falsing" you will encounter.

Even with the "noise" or "falsing" I enjoyed the Infinium for almost 10 years. When I received an ATX for Christmas two years ago, the Infinium has taken a back seat. With the ATX's sensitivity, discrimination and audio adjustments along with it's circuit improvements...it has been my primary detector in the waters of New England. I can not wait to run the ATPro with the NEL BIG 15X17 coil in the fresh water lakes this summer. The ATX will probably take a back seat at the fresh water lakes...we'll see.

OP
OP
ToddD

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waves were making it noisy, cranked it to 5, walked about 10 paces, took one scoop as a wave knocked me over, looked in the scoop and had this. Sometimes it's a matter of dumb luck.

IMAG1435.jpg

OP
OP
ToddD

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the tips and feedback!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Todd, I see you got the Garrett blue head phones.

Mine drove me bug-nuts. No volume control. Insane racket. Constant squee up and down with every wave. Then I discovered a small crack in the insulation leading into the box, just above the plug. Every time the smallest wave washed over the cord- squeeee squeee Sealing it solved that mess.

Grey Ghost headphones, with volume control- made my life so much nicer.

Try not to hunt over 2.5 on the discrim. Don't want to lose the small gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread