OBN does it again

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So after buying a lightly used Excal 1000 on Craigslist I quickly learned I was in need of some upgrades. OBN was the man of choice after reading mods & seeing some of his YouTube videos. First up was a remote pinpoint. Works like a dream. Then I needed some headphones. I decided on some GrayGhost Amphibians. I had them set up for quick disconnect in case I wanted others in the future. Then I thought I was done. Ended up messing up the coil wire where it hardwires to my excal. I decided it was a great time to upgrade to a 15" CoilTek WOT. That to was quick connected. My 10" bbs is also retrofitted for a quick connect so that I can switch back and forth at will. I then went to home depot and bought a carpenters leather belt and set the excal to hip mount on the back side so I wouldnt have any issues with either the shaft hitting it and especially the shovel contacting any of the wires. Works GREAT. Weight is centered at my core.

Apparently I am the test mule for the WOT quick connect :headbang: so I hope it goes well. . Here are some pix and thanks OBN.

20150513_132508.jpg 20150513_132522.jpg 20150513_151855.jpg 20150513_151950.jpg 20150513_152035.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Looks great!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is the man he is great he will even talk you through your own upgrades. And gave me some great advice to on what to buy. HH

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks JeepGold, And Thank You for being a tester on that coil change fitting..your the 7th I have out there and we should get a good idea by next winter on how all goes. So anyone that would like upgrades please check with Lostitemsrecovered (LIR) Dave... I have closed shop for the hunt season and digging that yellow stuff..Yesterdays hunt, And Man I love my PP mode...Also..

Gold's #28 to #31

OBN0429.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
OBN, as a friend, I gotta say.... I hate you

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take all the vacation you need Joe you deserve it for the up grades you have given us on the Xcal. Well until my stuff breaks again.......

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Those mods are all fine art work to me, and Jeep, it looks like you've got yourself Rembrandt!
Nice job OBN!

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Now if I can find a producing beach.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is the Mojoe of all things beach hunting. :thumbsup: If I was still in a beach environment I wouldn't hesitate to have him update my machine again. But, alas, I find myself stranded in the corn infested crossroads to nowhere again. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Well Joe, I was at Del Mar yesterday in a rain suit (in the rain) for about 4 hrs. I got 2.00.. YAYYYYYYYYY. Good thing, no people. Bad thing, no nothing...... 15 WOT was a little sketchy probably from all the black sand. I'm chalking it up to mineralization. Buddy was there with a 3030 and he didn't get squat either. I actually beat him. We've hit low tides here in the - 2.0 ft range, walking WAY out with very little to show. No point in getting chest high at a 0.7" tide unless we want that Florida flesh eating bacteria that seems to be going around. I need to move to Severna Park

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Went to the beach this morning. Found this Screenshot_2015-05-17-12-03-17.png 6 gram 18k Cartier band with a diamond... 1st one of the season FINALLY...

Found the secret to the WOT. With the excalibur and the 10" BBS stock coil, the sensitivity could only really be about 1/2 way or less. With the 15" WOT you have to turn it up nearly full blast to get it to perform the same/better on the dry sand and in the water you turn it down further than with the 10". I'm digging stuff up that's 2 ft down. I'm not kidding. With the WOT you have to slow down a little and sometimes a target will be very faint until you hone onto it then it will blast off in the headphones. I wouldn't recommend a WOT until you get better headphones.

Last edited:

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Congrats Jeep!
I have myself a WOT in the basement I plan on installing today, so thanks for the tip!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I hate you.... Nice one..

Something I preach about the WOT, you have to lower the sensitivity to keep it stable in the salt water, where as you can run the stock coils Hot..

WOT is good for coverage, but for the best depth in saltwater I swear the 10 inch is close to, if not more....in PP mode...

Now these are the areas I hunt and could be different on your beach's....but they do stand up at a lot of places...

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Sounds about right. I noticed when I got in the water a little it started acting up. Good reason why I got the quick connect for the 10 and the 15" . 15 for the dry to damp and the 10 for the water. And I hardly think you can hate me Joe... My finds are peanut butter and jelly to your filet mignon..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Just kidding, Beautiful ring, worth a small fortune..did you check to see how much they go for...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the beach this morning. Found this View attachment 1162626 6 gram 18k Cartier band with a diamond... 1st one of the season FINALLY...

Found the secret to the WOT. With the excalibur and the 10" BBS stock coil, the sensitivity could only really be about 1/2 way or less. With the 15" WOT you have to turn it up nearly full blast to get it to perform the same/better.

It depends JeepGold, when hunting underwater Excalibur is stable with sensibility @10.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Yes, Just kidding, Beautiful ring, worth a small fortune..did you check to see how much they go for...

2200.00 retail. 120.00 weight in gold. Gonna clean it up and try to sell it on ebay. The brand is more valuable than the actual gold. .

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used both the WOT and larger SEF coils in the saltwater “a lot” and I can tell you from experience and “a lot” of experimenting that there are two main issues that will come into play once these larger coils are submerged in the saltwater environment.

First, because the coil is larger you will be introducing more mineralization into the search field, both above and below the coil, this in turn bringing about a condition that is going to require your machine processor to labor much harder as it attempts to maintain stability in the ground balance. Obviously, this processor is going to have to filter out “a lot” of increased mineralization and in doing so you will loose some sensitivity and depth, especially on smaller/finer gold items. This is just the nature of the technology being employed.

The second factor that is going to be vital is coil control because once we introduce all of this additional mineralization into the search field and force the processor to work much harder then every little error or inconsistency in our swing-path is going to be noticed and magnified. So absolute coil control is going to be vital when trying to maintain a stable hunting condition. And even when you achieve good coil control other inconsistencies, such as uneven bottom contours, wave action and currents are still going to effect the machine processor in much the same way as these are conditions it has to try to adjust for. Remember, not only is this larger search filed now loaded with increased mineralization but in the case of wave action, currents, and uneven bottoms this increased mineralization is also moving.

The point I'm trying to make is that, in all but the calmest of conditions, when we use these larger coils submerged in the saltwater it introduces a very labor intensive environment into the search field and this increased condition is ultimately passed on to the machine processor. The end result, by comparison? Well, and as OBN already pointed out, in all but the calmest of conditions, there were actually many-many times when I could achieve more depth and far greater sensitivity with the 8 inch coil because it introduced far less mineralization into the search field, and likewise, the processor didn't have to labor nearly as hard which allowed me to run that smaller coil really hot with great stability. So for the most part, and when submerged in all but the calmest of environments, these larger coils are strictly an increased surface coverage tool with limited depth capabilities. Not the same results over say, the wet sand, as in this environment the larger coil certainly has the advantage in both coverage area and depth. So if the water is fairly calm then these larger coils can be worth the effort, but if the water conditions/bottom are unstable or inconsistent then a smaller coil is likely to serve you much better advantage, less the surface coverage. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
It does help and good advice but I'm talking about towel line to about knee deep for the WOT. My 10" is on standby for summer waters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread