Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently had Barry, one of the authorized Minelab technicians at Kellyco, do some extensive modification to my beloved Excalibur II. He replaced the stock headphones with Gray Ghost Amphibians, replaced the Minelab knobs with Anderson knobs and installed the pinpoint switch on the grip. After all the work was done in just a few days, he pressured tested the pod to 200+ feet. When it passed his exacting standard, he let me know it was ready for the beach.

I had an opportunity to test it out yesterday at Port Orange near Daytona Beach...in a word...Perfection!

Since I had never hunted in PP mode before I was eager to see just how this worked and how convenient the switch really was after hearing all the rave reviews from friends and posters on this forum.

Not only was my Excal rock solid, the PP switch worked like the champ it was designed to be...the stories are indeed true!. The depth in PP on our saltwater beaches was impressive--I was detecting targets at greater depths than I could ever have done in Disc alone and the ability to rapidly toggle back and forth was a truly hassle free way of operating. One aspect of the PP mod Barry uses that I thought was a great advantage was the fully waterproof and enclosed designed “button” he installs instead of the more conventional and familiar toggle switch. No water or sand whatsoever can get in that switch and prevent its intended function. We really need such a precaution here in Florida where sand and water prevails throughout the state!

PP Knob.png

The new headphones were a real blessing also as those who use them know so well. The fit itself is light years ahead of the stock headphones in terms of comfort and snugness. The tones are very clear and much improved and the ability to regulate the volume on the phones themselves is very convenient. I was hearing all tones much clearer now and just as important, not hearing the ambient ocean noise that was always present with the stock phones.

All in all, Barry did a bang up job all around...I couldn't be more pleased. He and his brother Dave are exceedingly knowledgeable and the best folks you'll ever want to meet. In fact, I'm now considering a second Excal and having them outfit it the same way as my primary!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
I'm very interested in this. If you don't mind, what did all of that cost you??

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry is the man!!

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For pricing on repairs or modifications Feel free to contact our repair center here at Kellyco Metal Detectors !
Direct: 407-699-8724
Email: [email protected]
Hours: Monday – Friday
9:00AM – 5:30PM

bearcat550

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,,
I have a few questions: had my Excall Pimped to coiltek 15:: peltor headphones and toggle switch. I cannot hunt in the water yet as water is to cold and live in Northern Canada. I hunted a park today and it was a killer for clads I tried a simple test for depth,,dug a hole 10'' deep dropped my wedding band and in PP mode nothing and when switched to Disc still nothing. I got home and went to my park next door I have another Excall II with stock coil,,did test at 6 7 8 inches deep the Excall II with 15'' coiltek at 8 on PP mode sound change was barely noticeable and in disc mode sound was faint but stil there,,then used my stock Excall with 10'' coil,,on PP mode sound was very audible at 8 inches and in Disc sound was super clear and clean and loud. I was Under the impression that this modification was going to detect deeper and fione gold,,is it because I am not in the water and in the water I would notice the difference or is the coiltek 15'' made for salt water performance.

Any news would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,,
I have a few questions: had my Excall Pimped to coiltek 15:: peltor headphones and toggle switch. I cannot hunt in the water yet as water is to cold and live in Northern Canada. I hunted a park today and it was a killer for clads I tried a simple test for depth,,dug a hole 10'' deep dropped my wedding band and in PP mode nothing and when switched to Disc still nothing. I got home and went to my park next door I have another Excall II with stock coil,,did test at 6 7 8 inches deep the Excall II with 15'' coiltek at 8 on PP mode sound change was barely noticeable and in disc mode sound was faint but stil there,,then used my stock Excall with 10'' coil,,on PP mode sound was very audible at 8 inches and in Disc sound was super clear and clean and loud. I was Under the impression that this modification was going to detect deeper and fione gold,,is it because I am not in the water and in the water I would notice the difference or is the coiltek 15'' made for salt water performance.

Thanks

Subscribed for interest.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,,

Thanks

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...-what-coil-would-you-suggest.html#post4520849

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Bearcat550, I found a distinct difference when using the PP in my back yard compared to wet saltwater sand. The depth was noticeably better in the wet sand since the saltwater is much more conductive than the soil in my backyard.

bearcat550

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your prompt and quick reply. I understand in salt water it would probably work marvelous but I hunt fresh water loakes so would there be a difference and in fresh water as opposed to dry land what settings do you use,,I have my setting in between 3 and 5 on dry,,with my stock Excall II in PP mode my sensitivity at 3 and disc at 1 with my coiltek my sen is at 5 and disc at 1. any advice would be helpful. Do you feel I will get better depth in fresh water same as salt water as opposed to not using the coiltek

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your prompt and quick reply. I understand in salt water it would probably work marvelous but I hunt fresh water loakes so would there be a difference and in fresh water as opposed to dry land what settings do you use,,I have my setting in between 3 and 5 on dry,,with my stock Excall II in PP mode my sensitivity at 3 and disc at 1 with my coiltek my sen is at 5 and disc at 1. any advice would be helpful. Do you feel I will get better depth in fresh water same as salt water as opposed to not using the coiltek

I never hunt in fresh water so I can't credibly comment on how PP and your coil will or would work. As for settings, what I use would be immaterial to yours as every area is different. In general however, I start out with Sens = 6 and adjust from there to meet the environment I'm in; Disc = 0 and leave it there; Vol = 100%; Thres. = just barely audible then back off just a hair.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
...a "bangup job" is saying someone did a bad job or the equivalent. Lol.

I recently had Barry, one of the authorized Minelab technicians at Kellyco, do some extensive modification to my beloved Excalibur II. He replaced the stock headphones with Gray Ghost Amphibians, replaced the Minelab knobs with Anderson knobs and installed the pinpoint switch on the grip. After all the work was done in just a few days, he pressured tested the whole thing to 200+ feet. When it passed his exacting standard, he let me know it was ready for the beach.

I had an opportunity to test it out yesterday at Port Orange near Daytona Beach...in a word...Perfection!

Since I had never hunted in PP mode before I was eager to see just how this worked and how convenient the switch really was after hearing all the rave reviews from friends and posters on this forum.

Not only was my Excal rock solid, the PP switch worked like the champ it was designed to be...the stories are indeed true!. The depth in PP on our saltwater beaches was impressive--I was detecting targets at greater depths than I could ever have done in Disc alone and the ability to rapidly toggle back and forth was a truly hassle free way of operating. One aspect of the PP mod Barry uses that I thought was a great advantage was the fully waterproof and enclosed designed “button” he installs instead of the more conventional and familiar toggle switch. No water or sand whatsoever can get in that switch and prevent its intended function. We really need such a precaution here in Florida where sand and water prevails throughout the state!

View attachment 1161077

The new headphones were a real blessing also as those who use them know so well. The fit itself is light years ahead of the stock headphones in terms of comfort and snugness. The tones are very clear and much improved and the ability to regulate the volume on the phones themselves is very convenient. I was hearing all tones much clearer now and just as important, not hearing the ambient ocean noise that was always present with the stock phones.

All in all, Barry did a bang up job all around...I couldn't be more pleased. He and his brother Dave are exceedingly knowledgeable and the best folks you'll ever want to meet. In fact, I'm now considering a second Excal and having them outfit it the same way as my primary!

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Joeb1999: ..a "bangup job" is saying someone did a bad job or the equivalent. Lol.

Well, in my day, a "bang up job" meant a great job and that's what I certainly meant. I never heard that it could be interpreted as just the opposite! Live and learn I guess! :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

bearcat550

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ,,well at least if I go to a salt water environement I will have the coil that is supposedly going to get deepr targets. I also noted you mentioned sens at 6 and disc at 0,,I have the newer Excalls so I do not have a 0 on mine they start at 1 to 17.

I have done well over the last few years,,picked up several gold pendants but without chain,,I got this excall II pimped up to hopefully get these chains if possible,,I had also heard of the ATX,,purchased one the Deepseeker package and did not even give it a try as when I received it I found it extremely heavy so resold it. The buyer got a sweet deal and I will stick to my Excalls,,I also own a CZ 21 can you compare these as far as depth.

Best Stephan ( polarcat550 )

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thanks ,,well at least if I go to a salt water environement I will have the coil that is supposedly going to get deepr targets. I also noted you mentioned sens at 6 and disc at 0,,I have the newer Excalls so I do not have a 0 on mine they start at 1 to 17.

I have done well over the last few years,,picked up several gold pendants but without chain,,I got this excall II pimped up to hopefully get these chains if possible,,I had also heard of the ATX,,purchased one the Deepseeker package and did not even give it a try as when I received it I found it extremely heavy so resold it. The buyer got a sweet deal and I will stick to my Excalls,,I also own a CZ 21 can you compare these as far as depth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When folks say 0 Disc they mean turned down as far as it will go...All Exacl IIs start at 1.

As for a comparison between the Excal and CZ 21, here are a few links that may be of some help:

Fisher CZ 21 vs Minelab Excalibur II

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/166409-minelab-excalibur-vs-cz21.html

CZ-21 or Minelab Excalibur II ?

Which is Better on the Beach? Fisher CZ-21 or Excalibur - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Try "goggling" Excalibur II vs CZ 21 and you'll find a lot to consider!

bearcat550

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much,,will keep you posted when I go into our fresh water lakes. We have some lakes that are clear but very few,,the rest are dark Brown to really dark Brown so when we detect an object have to use our foot to align ourselves with the coil and the scoop. I have several scoops which are perfect. I also purchased a scoop from Chuck, a 920 i and I will pick it up later on this summer when visiting a friend of mine in Michigan.

Best of health and a great season of detecting to you.

Stephan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...a "bangup job" is saying someone did a bad job or the equivalent. Lol.

A bang-up job means great job...

bang-up
[bang-uhp]

Examples
Word Origin

adjective, Informal.
excellent; extraordinary.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
ok, glad to know I haven't been using "bang up job" incorrectly for the past 30 years. It does mean good job!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Its never used literally anymore...more or less used by a boss or a coworker who is being sarcastic. lol.

A bang-up job means great job...

bang-up
[bang-uhp]

Examples
Word Origin

adjective, Informal.
excellent; extraordinary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread