FLOPPY COIL CURE

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I had a problem with the coil moving on my Stingray, I was sent this from the Tesoro distributor here. it was made by the dealer here and I don't think Tesoro ever took up the idea, That dealership has closed, so I guess no more available. Maybe if I could find someone with a 3D printer I could get some made up.
2015-05-15 16.20.06.jpg 2015-05-15 16.20.35.jpg 2015-05-15 16.28.18-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Bad idea. Your coil will be stiff, if you ever lean on it you might do damage to the coil. If you have a floppy coil, use a thin plastic washer on the inside of the coil fin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil stabilizer worked well on my BH ID..

justjohnny

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used this on my Surfmaster PI and over a year I did break he coil mounting holes from leaning on it. Working on a bent piece of plexiglass to replace this type of bracket. Will have to wait and see how it works this year[emoji3]

Miah

Oct 4, 2011
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Whites Surfmaster PI
Whites XLT
Whites sells a coil stabilizer for the Surfmaster I ordered one years ago but haven't tried it yet. the thing that worries me is the added resistance when underwater.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one for my Whites BHID, it never damaged my detector, but I never lean on my detectors either.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point TH...... one of the worst things we do in the water is using our machines as a crutch. Ruins cam locks and can split, warp, or break the ears on a coil. If they are homemade you need to be careful because over time the wear thru the top of the coil too. I tried one....... but in the water it just seemed to really increase the drag. Ive learned to keep my coil looser and right on the bottom. I use a lot more marine epoxy......... but the coil wear has pretty much stopped as well as the coil flip and the falsing it causes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread