Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of those beaches ought to loaded with trash after the Tsunami a few years ago...that being said, safe travels.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's family are still in Saigon (Ho chi Mihn City) There is a guy by the handle of Mi Cong Mike that is here on this site. He says he hits the beaches. Says he don't do bad. I don't know if he is still on here or not but you may want to hit him up for some info. HH GFP

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to check with local laws and not just national laws. I was hauled off the beach by military police not long ago .. .. You best bet for treasure would be Indonesia. But make sure your not going to get arrested doing it though

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have hunted in Hainan, China and Hong Kong. No problem with police or airport security. Just so many locals watching that I have had to get them to back up some so that I could dig a target up as they are curious about a detector as most have never seen one. Lots of targets and a mix of coins of all ages. Thailand should be no problem to detect as I have seen videos of others hunting there with no problems and did talk with one Detectorist who hunts there. Enjoy your time there...Stuart

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted in Hainan, China and Hong Kong. No problem with police or airport security. Just so many locals watching that I have had to get them to back up some so that I could dig a target up as they are curious about a detector as most have never seen one. Lots of targets and a mix of coins of all ages. Thailand should be no problem to detect as I have seen videos of others hunting there with no problems and did talk with one Detectorist who hunts there. Enjoy your time there...Stuart

Hainan? Wow, I wanted to go there but the airfare and visa cost alone was a huge set back. From what I've seen online hotels are around $100 a night on top of that. I have hit Black Sand in Macao a few times

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Stayed at Universal Resorts while there. Around $60 a night in off season ( summer). Much higher in winter for a room. Around $450 a night. Beautiful beaches, very much like Hawaii here in the U.S. Very popular with the Chinese and Russian tourists. I met only one local detectorists while there. A local man who was very nice and enjoyed hunting with him some while there. I really enjoyed Being there and hope to go again. My U.S. Visa was all I needed for customs for Hainan and Hong Kong, but my wife ( fiancé last year ) had to obtain separate visas as she is Chinese. Which seems backwards to me but that is how China has the visa process laws.

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stayed at Universal Resorts while there. Around $60 a night in off season ( summer). Much higher in winter for a room. Around $450 a night. Beautiful beaches, very much like Hawaii here in the U.S. Very popular with the Chinese and Russian tourists. I met only one local detectorists while there. A local man who was very nice and enjoyed hunting with him some while there. I really enjoyed Being there and hope to go again. My U.S. Visa was all I needed for customs for Hainan and Hong Kong, but my wife ( fiancé last year ) had to obtain separate visas as she is Chinese. Which seems backwards to me but that is how China has the visa process laws.
It sounds like you are very lucky. I have run into a few Asian people using detectors. None of them good experiences. All of them have said something about how good Hainan is. The guy you were hunting with... Did he leave the trash beside the hole even if it was a broken bottle top or sharp rusted nail?
I check this website once in a while, next time your in the area drop me a message and maybe we can meet up. I'm swinging at TDI SL and a DF.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Stephenscool, I will be in Beijing in September for a couple of weeks. I will let you know when dates are set. Maybe I can squeeze in a couple of days detecting while in the area. I hope so. Getting married in China in a big wedding this time for my wife's family and friends. How many people do you know that marry the same woman twice? LOL!!!
The detectorist I met in Hainan did pick up his trash and did well covering his holes. Said he understood that if he did not remove the trash he would waste time digging it up again since he hunted his local beaches a lot...What settings are you using on the TDI SL to knock out iron? I have an original TDI that I relic hunt with but the settings inland do not knock out iron effectively in salt water wet sand. Mostly I use Excal II and DF.

stephenscool

Greenie
Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stephenscool, I will be in Beijing in September for a couple of weeks. I will let you know when dates are set. Maybe I can squeeze in a couple of days detecting while in the area. I hope so. Getting married in China in a big wedding this time for my wife's family and friends. How many people do you know that marry the same woman twice? LOL!!!
The detectorist I met in Hainan did pick up his trash and did well covering his holes. Said he understood that if he did not remove the trash he would waste time digging it up again since he hunted his local beaches a lot...What settings are you using on the TDI SL to knock out iron? I have an original TDI that I relic hunt with but the settings inland do not knock out iron effectively in salt water wet sand. Mostly I use Excal II and DF.
Mostly sizing and shaping with the TDI. There is a place not far from Beijing. About a 2 hour train ride from the train station and then another 1.5 hour bus ride. It wouldn't be a 1 day adventure.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buddy of mine here on Okinawa hit Hong Kong & Macau last year for a few days. It was a Family trip so he only got to hunt around 4 hours total between both locations. He did very well. His melt value was more than he paid for the trip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread