Mineralization

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the excal to the beach over the past several days using the new 15" WOT and it's been great. Today, not so great. I went to a different beach ( La Jolla ) and there was nothing I could do to keep her in check. The sensitivity was off the charts. I had sensitivity at full low and lowered the threshold lower than I'd prefer to do and every swing it would just gawk from the left most of the swing to the right most. Anything near water and it was worse than an old woman at a book club. One hr prior at another beach it was flawless. I got home, gave it a shower, tore it down and inspected all the wiring, cleaned all the connections with electrical cleaner and put some dielectric grease on the pins. Nothings wrong.... I guess I have to attribute it to mineralization. I though the excal was pretty good with this... Anywhere near the water at this beach and it was close to worthless. I didn't have the 10" to throw on to see if it had to do with the coil, the machine, or the soil.
Anyone else have issues at particular beaches where your machine just sucked?

Upvote 0

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing happened to me at Dog Beach. No problem with the rest of Ocean Beach.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me, what does a woman at a book club sound like?

blownbudget

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also run the WOT on my Excal. I hunted La Jolla last week also and had the exact same issue. Could not get it to run right. Could not hunt in pinpoint. I've hunted that beach a hundred times with the 10 inch coil and never had any issues. I wonder if the WOT coil is the problem.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Tell me, what does a woman at a book club sound like?
Very chatty.. :) Hope I didn't offend. Just an old saying... I'm glad to hear that others are having the same issue at the same beach. . I thought I messed up my coil wire again. .. Newport was a bust today btw

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Those WOT's are very sensitive to the surroundings, I know I have no problem on the wet sand in OCMD but once I break water she is useless. In the Bay I can get them to work but I have to turn the sensitivity way down, getting coverage but loosing depth. The ULT 13 is a killer wet sand and dry.. but can't even get close to the water, in the bay and ocean...

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Here in San Diego the WOT seems fine at most beaches. Of the 5 I've hit so far only one had me running for the parking lot. I've been about waist deep in water with sensitivity at about 1/2 way with no trouble and in the sand I can crank it up to about 3/4 full. Now swinging the WOT in the tide is another story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread