Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
20150524_205558.jpg 20150524_205039.jpg 20150524_205459.jpg

Upvote 0

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What does the hallmark say? Anything less than 18k or platinum would be suspicious about a diamond. A jeweler would be able to tell you right away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cmo1512

cmo1512

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
I cannot make out the hallmark. I originally thought I BB maybe the B is an 8? Also there is a marking after that looked close to CN or C 11? Difficult to see. Anyway to easily test it being a diamond or maybe cubic? Thank you.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without a diamond tester it's tough to say, there are other "tests" you can do but they aren't accurate. It looks like 3ct at least which makes me wonder, but also the color looks off so it could be genuine. If it's perfectly white it'd be very high value if real, so probably fake. Hopefully it's got a little yellow to it as it appears and I'd lean towards real.

Anyway great find!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to walk into any jeweler and have them test it - but always get a 2nd opinion - or sometimes a 3rd -
took a ring (like 25 yrs ago) I found on asphalt of parking lot and had been run over 100 times and was beat up -- to 3 places - 1st said it was fake stone and junk metal
2nd said junk stone and platinum metal (which is weird that they would put junk in plat.) so I went to a third - this guys had a degree in gemology
and said others thought it was fake because it was an early cut stone and platinum mark was an older mark not used in like 100 yrs
a 4th place verified this and bought it
I have my own testers now

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to walk into any jeweler and have them test it - but always get a 2nd opinion - or sometimes a 3rd -
took a ring (like 25 yrs ago) I found on asphalt of parking lot and had been run over 100 times and was beat up -- to 3 places - 1st said it was fake stone and junk metal
2nd said junk stone and platinum metal (which is weird that they would put junk in plat.) so I went to a third - this guys had a degree in gemology
and said others thought it was fake because it was an early cut stone and platinum mark was an older mark not used in like 100 yrs
a 4th place verified this and bought it
I have my own testers now

Agreed...
Do not take one opinion... to its authenticity... especially if they say it is a fake... AND THEN they make an offer...
IF the first one says "its real"...
At that point you know it is real... but not a true value... and of course ask the first ones opinion...BUT DO NOT SELL TO FIRST !!! yet anyway...

This is tricky and should be appraised by at least 2 competent jewelers... pay for the appraisals if need be.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
here is what you do, I know what I'm talking about

take an old tooth brush and clean it with some soap and warm water

than turn the ring around and take any newspaper or any piece of paper with text on it.

try to read the text through the diamond from the backside of it

what do you see? if you can see the letters (if they appear to be strange) then the stone is likely fake, however if you are absolutely unable to see the letters then its likely real

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

than turn the ring around and take any newspaper or any piece of paper with text on it.

what do you see? if you can see the letters (if they appear to be strange) then the stone is likely fake, however if you are absolutely unable to see the letters then its likely real

This "test" is almost impossible to do when in a setting.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you knew what you were talking about you would tell him to get it tested or get a tester himself.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. I hope it's real.

OP
OP
cmo1512

cmo1512

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
Thank you all so much I will take to a few places and give updates. I appreciate it!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter it its real or not. It was fun finding it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions