Pretty good w/an Excalibur but 3030 killed me

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Every couple of days per week a buddy and I hit the beach and work grids. I have a highly mod'd Excal w/a 15" WOT and he has a 3030 with a 17". Typically we match ea other until yesterday. We went to a beach that had a lot of aluminum nuggets (melted/decomposed? I dunno) and of course the Excal constantly sounded off on things I couldn't ignore. Tab, nickle or gold.... you know the drill.. The wet sand was about 2" above a thick bed of medium/large pebbles so ea dig was a pain in the butt.
He found TWO gold rings, and a bracelet with in 2 hrs. I found two quarters and a dime.... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
The 3030 gives a tone AND a numerical value.. He was able to discrim much better than I was..... The 3030 had me at that beach!

Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
I have the same problem with those alum. nuggets. They sound good on my excal. And most of them go through the holes in my scoop. I also feel that the 3030 has a edge on the excal. I did the wot coil recently. Im digging deeper targets but no bling items yet. Good luck Joe

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Brothers I am telling you, Learn those machines and how to use that PP switch and you will be able to smoke those CTX's...Last year I dug 191 grams of gold most at the ocean, june til sept, not a CTX came close. And that is with the ULT13, the 10 nd the 8......This year I am headed back from July 1 till Sept 30, going to be another interesting summer. Get out there, do the time, dig all that even chirp's, and it will come..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem with those alum. nuggets. They sound good on my excal. And most of them go through the holes in my scoop. I also feel that the 3030 has a edge on the excal. I did the wot coil recently. Im digging deeper targets but no bling items yet. Good luck Joe

Put a screen on scoop, it will stop it from passing through scoop...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brothers I am telling you, Learn those machines and how to use that PP switch / Get out there, do the time, dig all that even chirp's, and it will come..

Could not have said it better.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally do not run any discrimination while on the beach. My CTX does go a little deeper than my Sovereign but that's with the 10" coil. He just happened to have luck on his side that day, nothing more. You have a monster setup for the beach, I'm jealous. GL HH Mike

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
maybe. I felt like a newbie on my 1st day using it while at that beach. Every 2 steps I got a signal and every signal was that nickel/gold sound. Pull it up and it was melted aluminum. Like a screaming pull tab.. I strictly hunt in PP and switch over when I get a hit. If it's solid I dig it if its a faint and dig a scoop or two and re-check.. I can detect a faint and chase it to about 6 solid scoops down with my Trex scoop. That's up to me knees deep. If I can get a nickel that deep it's only a matter of that ring finding me not me finding it! I'm good for now on the score sheet. He might get 150 for the 2 rings, I found that 1500.00 beauty..:)
As of now in So Cal, getting above knee deep in the water is pointless. It's all wet sand and fresh drops until mid or end of summer.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I personally do not run any discrimination while on the beach. My CTX does go a little deeper than my Sovereign but that's with the 10" coil. He just happened to have luck on his side that day, nothing more. You have a monster setup for the beach, I'm jealous. GL HH Mike

You must have some clean beaches in LI then because here in So Cal that's not the case. Bottle caps and pull tabs every 5 ft. And those dreaded ketchup packets... Enough to bust an ear drum.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Put a screen on scoop, it will stop it from passing through scoop...

I need to take a trip to Home Depot and look for a screening material that's not to small to stop the sand but keep the little items. Anyone had any luck?

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
how do you put the screen in and keep it from pulling off as you dig?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several ways, you can use cable ties or marine epoxy as example..

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must have some clean beaches in LI then because here in So Cal that's not the case. Bottle caps and pull tabs every 5 ft. And those dreaded ketchup packets... Enough to bust an ear drum.
Don't get me wrong I find my share of melted aluminum, newer bottle caps, and fence wire. But nothing compared to the dry sand, I stay away from that. But for the most part it's either iron null or "good" targets down in the wet sand.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to take a trip to Home Depot and look for a screening material that's not to small to stop the sand but keep the little items. Anyone had any luck?

I use 1/4" hardware cloth and cover 1/2 of the back and the bottom portion from middle to the rear. Use the cable ties too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread