Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hunting a crowded beach in waist to chest high water.

It was a little choppy from the wind along with a current that if you were on a raft you’d travel a football field in 2 minutes.

I always carry my phone in one waterproof pouch and my wallet and keys in the other.

IMG_1043.JPG

About an hour into the hunt my phone rang and when I looked down that’s all I saw.

That’s when my heart stopped.

I held up my phone pouch and started asking everyone in the direction the current was moving.

After 15 minutes this one guy with his wife and kids said “wallet and keys”?

All I had was a $20 bill and I forced him to take it. If I had more with me it would have been his. I thank you again Sir, where ever you are.

This is the aluminum clip that got stuck in the open position. I’m going to the dive shop tomorrow for a strong one in stainless.

IMG_1041.JPG

The moral of this story is check your gear!!!

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
He may have been sending karma back-

Who knows, some guy (or gal) with a detector on the beach may have helped him once upon a time.

There are good folks every. Glad to hear it ended nicely.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You lucky so-and-so! Wow, that WAS a pucker factor change!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one reason i don't carry anything but the bare necessities out in the water.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dodged a bullet...glad you got em back...whewww.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you were able to get them back...would had been a major headache

That's one reason i don't carry anything but the bare necessities out in the water.

Same here....after killing a couple phones..I just let them stay in the truck along with the wallet...keys go in the pouch zipped..

OP
OP
MiamiFox

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the feedback and support. I will rethink what to take with me or where to hide it. I do need the phone for work and its in a Life Proof case inside one E-Case. DiverRick I like the idea of the locking type.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you carrying your wallet and keys in the water? Glad you found it...

If I may suggest, have a key made that unlocks your car door only to carry with you and leave your regular keys and wallet in your vehicle.

After all, our whole hobby revolves around finding things other people were careless enough to lose.....😁

I carry a key that only unlocks my door and I carry money in pocket of my hat.... Standard D-Rings are effected by saltwater as you AND I found out...[emoji6]

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That was quite a stressful experience, MiamiFox

So glad that it turned out positive for you.

Where were they found...in the water, ocean floor, of sand?

Get that clip fixed asap

Lorraine

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
The problem with the typical D ring is it has a small internal spring steel spring. Unfortunately, it can corrode and allow the latch to open without pressure on it. Fletcher posted above a link to an ebay site where the latch is the spring because of the way it is built. Obviously a much more secure design if you are going to use one. This is a good wake-up call for us all. Happy hunting.

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
It's nice to find people so helpful in these times of need! I feel most will help. ...kinda funny as we are out collecting what others have lost. I wonder why they don't post a beach lost & found sight for areas? We could really get some positive feedback for helping others...

I have entertained the thought of buying a waterproof case to carry my phone & key, but after reading this and knowing how my luck has run in the past, I'll just stick to hiding the key & phone in a bag under some sand away from common foot traffic. I onced worked an area near a couple lifeguards that were nice enough to let me stow my stuff in their equipment lock box while I was out. Very nice!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to get them back...would had been a major headache

Same here....after killing a couple phones..I just let them stay in the truck along with the wallet...keys go in the pouch zipped..
Yup, everything valuable goes into a lock box in the vehicle. I carry just a bare door key in my zippered finds pouch to get inside. I even have another in a magnetic key box hidden in a real remote spot under the car just in case I lose the first one. It's amazing how the ocean action can pick your pockets!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions