jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) – Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."
Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North Carolina Beach - ABC News

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have a few "shark stories"... that is the only White I have seen in Fl water though...

My worst one...

I have been knocked down from behind in waist deep before...

In dark water I saw only black going by and felt the skin...

It made my knee buckle and the weight slammed me forward and down...

For a split second my whole body went under...

I leapt up and began trying to run in the water which if you have ever tried do it you know...
Its almost impossible when your legs are under...

But I pumped it outta the water... and stopped and turned around to catch the thrash.

It scared the crap out of me...

I stood there stunned... trying to catch my breath.. it happened so fast and caught me off guard.

I first thought it was a manatee... but when I felt the skin I freaked.

Believe it or not... this was only time knocked over... but 3rd time "rubbed".

PS> I have no clue the type of sharks either... twice was in murky water...
Once was at night... stranded in Boca Ciega Bay when my little motor would not start...
Got out of boat to try and walk it in the flats....when I was a kid.

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Ok Treasure Hunter how am i gonna remember all those procedures. I guess well , yep im dead. No really you nailed it and thanks for the post. Biggest thing is to be aware of ines seroundings and respect mother nature.

sent from a sending device

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The secret is always hunt in the water with someone fatter and slower than you...����

yep and if you can get them to wear a black wet suit you walk out of the water instead of run

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
ARRC I forgot to mention how freakin lucky you were. That is an incredible story of just how close you were. I got chills reading that tale.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay- suggestions then.

I only go in up to my knees. And I surfed for twenty years here in SoCal...never saw a shark. Lately they seem to be everywhere...Lifeguards have been calling people out of the water while I'm diggin' the wet sand!

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont get in the water that much, and never go over two or three feet deep, I am always aware of the dangers in the water. I know that if a shark has it's pec fins pointing down, its a sign that it is considering attacking. I hope I am never close enough to one to see if this is true. I have also heard that if you are in deep water and you see a shark checking you out, swim straight at it, it is the last thing that a shark expects you to do, and will probably move away from you. Makes sense in theory, but I hope I never have to try it out! Stay safe out there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC I forgot to mention how freakin lucky you were. That is an incredible story of just how close you were. I got chills reading that tale.

Heh...

IF I told you all the stories of "shadows" that have made me get outta the water... sheesh.
My grandfather had retired from the Air Force here... which is why ultimately I spent time here and then ended up moving here...
He had a dock on the water and a boat...
I had my share of small skiffs... dingys... and johnboats...
I spent so much time in and on the water and ALL over this area...
I have dove in everything from sinkholes to rivers like the Chassahowitzka and Hillsboro river... which scares most divers...
And of course every and all areas of salt here...

If it was water... clear or not... I was in it...
I would jump from bridges... I would swim across the Intercoastal waterway/ bay... to the vending machine at the marina just for a soda... (This would drown most)
It is amazing to me ... looking back at some of the "crazy" and "scary" things I have seen and done when I was younger....
And the things I "run" into...
Everything from massive Gar... to gators... which I hate... they are sneaky bass tards...

My friends always said when I was a kid... "he has a deathwish".

I think I have jumped from EVERY bridge except the howard... 60... in the entire bay area.

I have jumped from most hotel roofs into pools as well... any of the good ones anyway :P

Even I am amazed I am still alive.

IF it is water related... I have done it... a lot.

Would get off the school bus... walk home... walk in front door... drop my books on table... take of my shoes and shirt (always wore shorts)...
Go out the back door...
Run full speed...
As fast as I could...
down the yard...
down the dock...
do what we called the "two step"... (which is the two that counted just before lauch off pilling ... and if you missed it was bad... very very very bad)
And launch...
Doing whatever trick came to mind...
Flip.. twist ... whatever...
And into the pitch black Boca Ciega Bay I would stay...
Till my mom would FORCE me in when it turned dark.

On the weekend... I never left the water... fished all night till morning.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.>

I did not "excape" or always "make it" :)

Yes I bear many scars. :P

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The secret is always hunt in the water with someone fatter and slower than you...����

hhhmmmm, GIB often invites me to go beach/water hunting with him. Thought he enjoyed my company. Now I understand why he lets me search for ten minutes before he gets in the water.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL... heh...

I am always the first one in :P

When I go diving or whatever in "questionable" circumstances...
It seems whoever I am with will not "go first"...

There have been a few times... where I have gone back and forth for awhile with someone due to even my "gut" on it and a little nervous...
As I have gotten older I take less "chances"... and am very safety conscious these days...
When I was young and stupid...
Now I am older and stupid.

Heh.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had one circle me three complete times while wade fishing in Texas City years back. Fin sticking out of the water about 3". Six to seven foot long...scared the crap out of me. Also the last time I ever went wade fishing.

You can call me scared.........but you can't call me a statistic.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
hhhmmmm, GIB often invites me to go beach/water hunting with him. Thought he enjoyed my company. Now I understand why he lets me search for ten minutes before he gets in the water.

...and I still insist that I ACCIDENTALLY scratched you on the leg right before you went in.

Saltwater really does cause the wound to heal and clot quickly.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, you didn't have a dolphin named Flipper, did you?
That's a crazy childhood (young adulthood), adventurous stuff that kids dream about. :notworthy:

Lockster99, even non-injured survivors are statistics. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A shark is just a stupid fish with a brain the size of a pea. He eats other fish, not people. But if something looks like food, he might bite it, just like a bass bites a spinnerbait.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come-on Boatload, didn't you see Jaws? Those sharks are smart, they stalk their prey; even if you are in a boat!! Either way - they will get you sooner or later!!!
I say we just kill them all before they kill us :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BITE BACK !
or first

bake-and-shark-11-505x336.jpg
index.jpg
thumb_600.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shark is just a stupid fish with a brain the size of a pea. He eats other fish, not people. But if something looks like food, he might bite it, just like a bass bites a spinnerbait.

Hey boat...
:)

Next time you are at the beach...

Walk out to chest high water...

And say this real loud :P

"A shark is just a stupid fish with a brain the size of a pea."

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The secret is always hunt in the water with someone fatter and slower than you...😁👌

That's a good ide....hey wait a minute...
The surfers in Oregon get nailed a lot. Surfboard looks like a seal or sea lion they claim. There is a you tube video of some tourists 17 foot boat being attacked, happened in the mouth of our river (Chetco)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread