jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) – Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."
Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North Carolina Beach - ABC News

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
There's only one shark I wouldn't mind getting mauled by-

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 2.23.56 PM.png

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And NOW the west coast news stations are sensationalizing the Sharks since the east coast attacks. I got up at 0 Dark 30 this morning to hunt the minus tide. Just before sun up, when I was leaving, the News crew from Channel 5 and Channel 2 news were pulling into the parking lot.
I talked to one of them about what they were there for. ( we also have a bunch of little red 'tuna crab' washing up on shore from Mexico due to warm water) conditions..
They were there to talk about a new drone that the beach lifeguards are using to look for sharks in the water. No one around here has been attacked.
I think they're getting everyone scared for no reason.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey boat...
:)

Next time you are at the beach...

Walk out to chest high water...

And say this real loud :P

"A shark is just a stupid fish with a brain the size of a pea."

I've been fishing and scuba diving for over 40 years, and I have never had a shark, alligator, or any other wild critter show any aggression towards me. In every instance, they take off as soon as they see me.

In my experience, the long spined sea urchin is the most dangerous creature in the ocean.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fishing and scuba diving for over 40 years, and I have never had a shark, alligator, or any other wild critter show any aggression towards me. In every instance, they take off as soon as they see me.

In my experience, the long spined sea urchin is the most dangerous creature in the ocean.

Wish I could say the same...

I have been hit or bit by so much crap...
Stung... stabbed... sprayed... you name it...

Worst was stingray...
Jellyfish can suck...

40 ?
Same time as me...
how is it you have never had a "run in" with anything ?

How often you go in ? occasionally ?

I have even been bit by a sheepshead... which hurts like hell...
Scraping hulls... they gather and peck at the falling debri.

:P

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could say the same...

I have been hit or bit by so much crap...
Stung... stabbed... sprayed... you name it...

Worst was stingray...
Jellyfish can suck...

40 ?
Same time as me...

How often you go in ? occasionally ?

I have even been bit by a sheepshead... which hurts like hell...
Scraping hulls... they gather and peck at the falling debri.

:P

I think maybe I'm glad we can't detect in shallow water here. (waves knock you down and rip tides)
I have had thrasher shark though 'tis tasty!:laughing7:
Sharks....Pit Bulls with fins...and more teeth...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
40 ?
Same time as me...

I have a very simple policy regarding sharks, alligators, and other toothy critters: I leave them alone, and they leave me alone.

I did have a "run in" with a sea urchin in Bonaire, and it was extremely painful. But even that was partially my fault for neglecting to put on my booties before wading out to the dive boat.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensationalized - by the press is the reality.
Being safe, is an illusion, there is an element of risk in every thing we do or do not do.

Attacks such as theese are very rare , possibly by one rouge shark, as the attacks are close together in distance and time. I don't know about Tnet members, but I would be more afraid of not living (enjoying life) than of dying. I for sure would avoid salt water beaches where there are no sharks as the waters and sands would most likely too polluted.

Better understanding and awareness by those who use the waters is needed.

Sad really. I'm the first to say we don't belong in the water but thats a ridiculous proposition. But what can we do keep these poor people from being killed or maimed for life? Even if these are isolated incidents something still should be done. I don't know, that could've been my children.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very simple policy regarding sharks, alligators, and other toothy critters: I leave them alone, and they leave me alone.

I did have a "run in" with a sea urchin in Bonaire, and it was extremely painful. But even that was partially my fault for neglecting to put on my booties before wading out to the dive boat.

Um... I have the same policy...

But I do not think the "toothy critters" ... "got the memo".

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year... in Florida alone...
there were 54 "incidents" involving sharks and humans...

28 of those resulted in "attacks"... all of which were "non fatal".

Just over 50% of "hits" resulted in injury.

These are not "sightings" these are humans and sharks "meeting" in water and shark has made contact with human.

There has been a steady "rise" in this... and from what I have seen in the water... it will continue to rise.

Statistics and studies have shown this...

Here... this may interest some here... FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Unprovoked Shark Attack Statistics

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds of getting attacked and killed by a shark are 1 in 3,748,067.

In
a lifetime, you are more likely to die from fireworks (1 in 340,733), lightning (1 in 79,746), drowning (1 in 1,134), a car accident (1 in 84), stroke
(1 in 24), or heart disease (1 in 5). There are 70 to 100 shark attacks
worldwide every year, 5 to 15 result in death.

Who knew toilets and air fresheners could be so dangerous? Well, at least statistically speaking it appears sharks seem to pose less of a threat than many things we encounter every day.

In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

You have a one in 63 chance of dying from the flu and a one in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark.

You have a one in 218 chance of dying from a fall and a one in 3.7 million chance of being killed by a shark.

1n 1996, buckets and pails injured almost 11,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

In 1996, room fresheners injured 2,600 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

The U.S. averages 19 shark attacks a year. Lightning kills about 41 people a year in coastal states alone.

Since 1959, Florida has had nine shark attack fatalities. Lightning fatalities = 459.

Since 1959, California has had more shark attacks (89) than lightning fatalities (30).

Since 1959, California has had more shark attacks (89) than lightning fatalities (30).

For every human killed by a shark, humans kill two million sharks.

Anyone who has swum in New Smyrna Beach, Florida (shark capital of the world) has likely been within 10 feet of a shark.

Some sharks can live for a year without eating, surviving on the oil stored in their livers.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/shark-attack-experiment-live/articles/shark-attack-facts/

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds of getting attacked and killed by a shark are 1 in 3,748,067.

In
a lifetime, you are more likely to die from fireworks (1 in 340,733), lightning (1 in 79,746), drowning (1 in 1,134), a car accident (1 in 84), stroke
(1 in 24), or heart disease (1 in 5). There are 70 to 100 shark attacks
worldwide every year, 5 to 15 result in death.

Who knew toilets and air fresheners could be so dangerous? Well, at least statistically speaking it appears sharks seem to pose less of a threat than many things we encounter every day.

In 1996, toilets injured 43,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

You have a one in 63 chance of dying from the flu and a one in 3,700,000 chance of being killed by a shark.

You have a one in 218 chance of dying from a fall and a one in 3.7 million chance of being killed by a shark.

1n 1996, buckets and pails injured almost 11,000 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

In 1996, room fresheners injured 2,600 Americans. Sharks injured 13.

The U.S. averages 19 shark attacks a year. Lightning kills about 41 people a year in coastal states alone.

Since 1959, Florida has had nine shark attack fatalities. Lightning fatalities = 459.

For every human killed by a shark, humans kill two million sharks.

Anyone who has swum in New Smyrna Beach, Florida (shark capital of the world) has likely been within 10 feet of a shark.

Some sharks can live for a year without eating, surviving on the oil stored in their livers.

Shark Attack Facts - Shark Attack Experiment: LIVE Article - Nat Geo WILD

of course those statistics change some depending on where you live.

Being I'm in the middle of PA & am 60 years old .
the odds of me being attacked and killed by a shark
would depend on the odds of me being kidnapped & thrown into shark infested waters :laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have always said that if people knew how many sharks are out there, they would never go in the water. But they fail to realize that they are far more likely to be injured or killed just driving to the beach than getting bit by a shark.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course those statistics change some depending on where you live.

Being I'm in the middle of PA & am 60 years old .
the odds of me being attacked and killed by a shark
would depend on the odds of me being kidnapped & thrown into shark infested waters :laughing7:

There is always the danger of being attacked by school of land sharks!

a40287dae80bab953ad6eeed75d04ce5.jpg

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think knee deep and less for me from now on. I have a fear of being eaten by anything capable of eating me. Sharks and bears are way up there on my list.

I might not be your typical guy. I have been know to ask for directions and sharks scare the crap out of me. I look at it this way....those two kids had the same odds you guys have spoke of......and look at them know. Missing stuff. Not me. Horrible luck. If I bet red, you better bet black!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think knee deep and less for me from now on. I have a fear of being eaten by anything capable of eating me. Sharks and bears are way up there on my list.

I might not be your typical guy. I have been know to ask for directions and sharks scare the crap out of me. I look at it this way....those two kids had the same odds you guys have spoke of......and look at them know. Missing stuff. Not me. Horrible luck. If I bet red, you better bet black!
Your a ten times more likely to get hit by lighting so better not go outside at all....[emoji1]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone in Florida that detects, don't, don't, don't go in the water to detect PLEASE! There are thousands of sharks 12 feet off shore waiting to eat you.......😁 leave the water for me...😁👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread