jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) – Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."
Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North Carolina Beach - ABC News

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Shark Week coming up soon!

OAK ISLAND, N.C. (AP) – Two teenagers were seriously injured in two separate shark attacks in the same North Carolina town on Sunday, terrifying beach goers and prompting one shocked witness to compare the scene to the movie "Jaws."
Oak Island Mayor Betty Wallace told WECT-6 that the first victim, a girl, lost part of her arm and could lose her left leg. Just over an hour later, a 16-year-old boy also was attacked by a shark and was airlifted to a hospital, Wallace said. He lost an arm.

Two Teens Mauled in Separate Shark Attacks at North Carolina Beach - ABC News

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I predict this will become more and more common I am afraid.
I saw my first White ever... 3 years ago... in 12-15 feet of water...
I had just climbed out of the water and was standing on the deck of boat...

As my girl handed me a towel ... her eyes were huge and the look of shock on her face...
I turned around... 10 feet away MAX... no more...
There it was surfacing ... cocked to side... its black eye looking right into mine... and then it rolled under...

At first I was thinking it was a bull...
I was in shock...
She was in shock...
Because it was huge.

Those who know me when I told em this were in shock...
Those who I told that don't really know me... were skeptical... and some did not believe it was a White... etc.
This was in a VERY public used area that has swimmers just in shore.

I never saw it while in the water... Viz was NIL.
Was right behind me.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, there was another attack in the same area a few days prior. I was out on the pier Fri. and saw several fairly large sharks hanging around. Stay safe out there guys!

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Yep I saw the report on the news. I have always wondered if metal detectors emit any frequency or sound that attracts or repels sharks.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I saw the report on the news. I have always wondered if metal detectors emit any frequency or sound that attracts or repels sharks.

This has been a debate for a long time...

I know they have been experimenting in using frequencies to "detour" sharks away.

But I read that pulse induction attracts them...
Then I heard it detours them...

Who knows...
Maybe I will get bored later ad do some "searches" on this...

Feel free to join in on this... "Search".

Would be nice to get to the bottom of this debate.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
It was interested in you. You were possibly almost a few seconds away from being a stat. Ooooh man. This is why I hate going more then ankle deep! Go play a lotto lol. Thanks for sharing story. Hh gl -Joe

I predict this will become more and more common I am afraid.
I saw my first White ever... 3 years ago... in 12-15 feet of water...
I had just climbed out of the water and was standing on the deck of boat...

As my girl handed me a towel ... her eyes were huge and the look of shock on her face...
I turned around... 10 feet away MAX... no more...
There it was surfacing ... cocked to side... its black eye looking right into mine... and then it rolled under...

At first I was thinking it was a bull...
I was in shock...
She was in shock...
Because it was huge.

Those who know me when I told em this were in shock...
Those who I told that don't really know me... were skeptical... and some did not believe it was a White... etc.
This was in a VERY public used area that has swimmers just in shore.

I never saw it while in the water... Viz was NIL.
Was right behind me.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's see here...

Floating on an elongated object with appendages extending from the front and rear, plus flopping and splashing like a wounded fish-

Can't figure out why-O-WHY!

It makes NO SENSE at all~

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad really. I'm the first to say we don't belong in the water but thats a ridiculous proposition. But what can we do keep these poor people from being killed or maimed for life? Even if these are isolated incidents something still should be done. I don't know, that could've been my children.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sad really. I'm the first to say we don't belong in the water but thats a ridiculous proposition. But what can we do keep these poor people from being killed or maimed for life? Even if these are isolated incidents something still should be done. I don't know, that could've been my children.

Tell your children to not imitate a wounded seal or dying fish and they will be just fine.

I've been around sharks my entire life and unless you pretend to be a food source, they tend to ignore you.

Nothing else needs to be done, other than educate people flopping about in the water.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell your children to not imitate a wounded seal or dying fish and they will be just fine.

I've been around sharks my entire life and unless you pretend to be a food source, they tend to ignore you.

Nothing else needs to be done, other than educate people flopping about in the water.
Buddy I hear ya, but what you're proposing is not realistic. People go in water, they frolic, splash, swim, get thrown around, and have a good time. To say not to act like a wounded fish is a little extreme. I agree with you in terms of open water but not at the waters edge, where waves break, visibility is almost non existent, and sharks are relying on their lateral lines to hone in on their prey. Something else should be done. Just my opinion.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay- suggestions then.
If I had an educated suggestion I would provide one. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise nor the background to even begin suggesting what could be done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called the hazards of enjoying life. The two attacked had a far better chance being in a car accident on the way to and from the beach, hit by lightning or killed by a dog.

I don't go in the water at night past my knees if that deep and I avoid dusk and dawn in the water as that is prime shark feeding time, rest of the time I have no concerns entering the water.

A boy was hit by lighting in surf last week and no storms occurring at that time...

According to HowStuffWorks, Professor Jeff Rosenthal from the University of Toronto, says your chances of getting attacked is 1 in 9 million and less than 1 American per year is killed by a shark. In fact, your odds of getting killed by a shark are 1 in 400 million. Over half of all of the world's shark attack takes place on the beaches of Florida. The chances of getting attacked by a shark at a Florida beach are 1 in 430,000 and the odds of getting killed are 1 in 36 million.

Tips To Avoid Shark Attacks

Avoid surfing at night and at dawn

This is popular feeding and hunting time for sharks. Also the lack of visibility from the dark makes it easier for them to mistake you for one of their favorite meals.

Look for warning signs

Warning signs are sometimes posted on beaches where sharks have been sighted. It’s not a good idea to test your fate. Don't ignore the warning signs.

Surf in groups

Sharks tend to attack individuals.

Avoid river mouths and channels

These are areas where food and fish flow out into the ocean making it an abundant resource of sharks to feed. Avoid surfing after it rains because this causes the water to be murky. The low visibility will make it more difficult for sharks to determine whether you're fish or human.

Don't wear anything that is bright, high-contrasting in color, or shiny

Shiny jewelry can resemble the scales of a fish. Bright colors such as yellow and orange and high-contrast attract sharks.

Don't surf if you are bleeding

You can potentially be attracting sharks within a one mile radius. In fact, sharks can smell and taste blood from more than a mile away and they can track that scent back to you. If you get cut, get out of the water. If you're a female who is menstruating, avoid getting into the water.

Stay away from dead animals and fish

Sharks love to feed on dead animals and you don't want to be near when they're feeding.

Stay away from fishing and sewage

Fishermen throw bait into the water which often times can attract sharks. Sewage attracts bait fish which will attract sharks.

Avoid erratic movements and splashing

Playfully splashing around in water can attract sharks. To them, this resembles a prey in distress. Always stay calm in the water because sharks can sense fear.

Beware of drop-offs and sandbars

Often times these are areas that are ideal conditions for surfing but they are favorite feeding areas for sharks.

Get out if there is a shark sighting

Regardless of how epic the waves are, get out of the ocean to surf another day.

What To Do If You Encounter A Shark

Stay Calm and still

This sounds a lot easier said than done but it is really important. Like many predators, shark can sense fear and this will only arouse their senses and attack instincts. You also need to keep cool in order to analyze the few critical seconds that you have to make the right decisions that will save your life. This is not the time to panic. If a shark is approaching, you will not be able to out swim it in open water. Instead, stay still and take the next steps.

Defend yourself

Get in a position where you are able to defend your front and sides of your body. Try to avoid using your hands. Use any weapons possible and in your case it’s likely the only thing you have is your surfboard. If possible, use your board as a shield of a barrier from the shark. Strike back at the shark if you can at its most delicate areas such as their eyes, nose or gills.

Get Aggressive

If it bites into you and drags you underneath water, playing dead will not help. Get as aggressive as you can by clawing at its eyes and gills.

Stop the bleeding

Get out of the water as efficiently as you can. Most sharks who attack surfers think that they're prey. Once they realize that surfers are not their usual high fat meals, they usually let go. In fact, fatal shark attacks are usually due to the injury sustained from the attack and not from getting devoured. It’s critical you get out as quickly as possible and stop the bleeding.

Get help

Find a lifeguard or anyone and get immediate medical attention.

http://www.surfscience.com/topics/surfing-lifestyle/life-as-a-surfer/avoiding-shark-attacks/

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand TH, believe me. It just sucks to see this happen.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post TH! Personally, I'm more concerned with jellyfish and stingrays than sharks. In all the years I've been doing this, I've only seen a few sand sharks, who seem to want no part of human interaction.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree nice informative post by Th.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt it.
Most metal detectors switch the induction field in the very low frequency range (VLF) radio frequency range. Mine Lab multi frequency detectors operate in the higher end of the Low Frequency range (LF) and the VLF range.
What you hear in your headphones is the audio signal for the threshold or detection of a target, it is not transmitted in the water. IIRC, the frequencies use to excite/scare away shark are in the ultra sonic and audio ranges.

However, this does not mean you will not attract sharks when metal detecting in the water. Since smaller fish are attracted from sweeping your coil close to the bottom as it frees/exposes things for them to eat. When you dig a target, the act of retrieving the target with your scoop can break shells /cut worms creating a miniature chum stream.

When sharks are around, it would be wise to avoid peeing in the water or beind down current from a group of surfers who are surfing the beach break. Under certain conditions peeing in the water is a reflex action.

If you are one of those who does a happy dance when finding gold in the scoop, it might be best to
reserve this ritual for fresh water lakes.

L

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread