Need some help in IDing this item....I dont think its a sinker...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Need some help in ID'ing this item....I don't think it's a sinker...

Hi again:hello:

In addition to the several coins that I founnd today, I retrieved this item which I though at first was a sinker....but after scrutinizing it, I'm not so sure.:icon_scratch:

I believe that it is made out of lead.

It has an image on it ( ? elephant head and trunk, but you have to look very closely to see it, if that's what it is.)

Then it has two holes on the bottom and a tiny sort of a tray( left side tray is larger than right side tray)???

The top part is encircled with a rubber material and then there is some encrustation above that.

I'm wondering if it is a tiny incense holder....very tiny; I could be completely wrong about this.???

Here's some pics...please tell me what your thoughts are on this item if you have the time to check it out.

Thank you for looking

Lorraine

DSCF3503.JPG

DSCF3504.JPG

DSCF3505.JPG

DSCF3507.JPG

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you found may be "Ganehsa, the Hindu Elephant God - Diety of Success.
It might be made of pewter.

From the rubber material, it looks like it was inserted into something of larger diameter.
I suspect that has channels (which are covered by encrustation) and when properly cleaned water will
be able to flow through it onto the little tray/pond and ths shorter tray/pond.

There is also a Buddha Elephant God, which would be another possibiity.

Hi again:hello:

In addition to the several coins that I founnd today, I retrieved this item which I though at first was a sinker....but after scrutinizing it, I'm not so sure.:icon_scratch:

I believe that it is made out of lead.

It has an image on it ( ? elephant head and trunk, but you have to look very closely to see it, if that's what it is.)

Then it has two holes on the bottom and a tiny sort of a tray( left side tray is larger than right side tray)???

The top part is encircled with a rubber material and then there is some encrustation above that.

I'm wondering if it is a tiny incense holder....very tiny; I could be completely wrong about this.???

Here's some pics...please tell me what your thoughts are on this item if you have the time to check it out.

Thank you for looking

Lorraine

View attachment 1175760

View attachment 1175762

View attachment 1175763

View attachment 1175764

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, a deep mystery indeed!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm willing to bet it is silver. Nobody would make something like that out of lead. Do you know how to clean using aluminum foil, baking soda, and boiling water? If bubbles start to come off of it then it is silver. Every five minutes take it out of the boiling water, run it under cold water, use a paper toil to scrub off black stuff and repeat this process until it is nice and shiny. You will probably get a stamp to emerge. Warning: you will ruin the pan. Try to get the water to a steady boil.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
I'm willing to bet it is silver. Nobody would make something like that out of lead. Do you know how to clean using aluminum foil, baking soda, and boiling water? If bubbles start to come off of it then it is silver. Every five minutes take it out of the boiling water, run it under cold water, use a paper toil to scrub off black stuff and repeat this process until it is nice and shiny. You will probably get a stamp to emerge. Warning: you will ruin the pan. Try to get the water to a steady boil.

Not sure what it is but I do know that Lori is the Silver cleaning expert in this group.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
"Not sure what it is but I do know that Lori is the Silver cleaning expert in this group."

THANKS FOR THE "KUDOS" MIAMI FOX, BUT THIS TIME "NO DICE":cat:; ELECTROLYZED THE ITEM, BUT THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF IT BEING SILVER.

I HAVE SOME INDIAN FRIENDS WHO MIGHT SOLVE THE MYSTERY FOR ME; STILL THINK IT'S AN ELEPHANT HEAD IMAGE; WILL KEEP THOSE INTERESTED POSTED.

lorraine

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throttle cable end... My guess...
From boat.

Actually may be from older jet ski.

Could even be a choke cable from one... who knows..

I could be totally off...

Village sees it as well it seems.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"Not sure what it is but I do know that Lori is the Silver cleaning expert in this group."

THANKS FOR THE "KUDOS" MIAMI FOX, BUT THIS TIME "NO DICE":cat:; ELECTROLYZED THE ITEM, BUT THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF IT BEING SILVER.

I HAVE SOME INDIAN FRIENDS WHO MIGHT SOLVE THE MYSTERY FOR ME; STILL THINK IT'S AN ELEPHANT HEAD IMAGE; WILL KEEP THOSE INTERESTED POSTED.

lorraine

Well, I was hoping it was silver for you. Never hurts to hope. I like the pewter idea as the next guess. If you get a pair of pliers and apply brute force can you pull the rubber thing out?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 7.42.48 PM.png

I don't understand the two small holes in the OP's photo.

Hummmmm - mysterious.

Set screw holes where the set screws held in the cable?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the top out of that thing and lets if it is threaded. If threaded then a tool or cap of sorts....if no thread...rethink.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's def. one of those " what the heck" finds. I'm kinda think'n It's a cable end that's been exposed to a little heat :dontknow:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
I'm starting to think the same thing, Mr. b; I'm going to try to pull out the rubber top with pliers and see what happens.

Stay tuned

Lorraine

I'm back with the results: with my trusty tools, I was able to remove the rubber tiny cylinder, and clean inside; appears to have a solid bottom that does not have any connection to the two holes on the bottom.

Also: I was able to see that the rubber tiny cylinder has an opening at one end; so I pushed a paper clip through it and from the other end comes a tiny cable segment ..I think made of copper!

Here's pics:

That's def. one of those " what the heck" finds. I'm kinda think'n It's a cable end that's been exposed to a little heat :dontknow:

Attachments

• DSCF3509.JPG
    DSCF3509.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF3511.JPG
    DSCF3511.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, well that throws out my theories. Looks like Village, ARRC, and GIB got it. What threw me off was that it was somehow melted. At some point it must of rested on a motor with the end of a couple of nuts sticking out. I can see the heat from steel nuts slowly melt into it. The lead when then melt off the side and resolidify to form those protrusions.

Good mystery. Always hope for the best, maybe the next random find will be ancient treasure!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
" Looks like Village, ARRC, and GIB got it" :wav: :wav:

:wav:

Thank you for everyone's input in helping me solve this mystery.

Now to get out there find some gold....no problem ID'ing that ; the problem these days for me is finding it :hello:

LOorraine

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unusual and interesting find, Lorraine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread