Advice on detectors that can handle wet/black sands (MXT?)

GoldFounder

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2015
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster II
Whites Goldmaster 3
Whites GMT
Whites V3i
Whites TDI-Pro (Modded)
Minelab SD2200V2
Minelab GP Extreme
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day my fellow metal detecting brethren!!

I'm seeking advice on metal detectors that can easily handle the wet sands of most beaches. I've been detecting for many years but am relatively new to beach detecting.
Mostly all my detecting has focused on gold prospecting with the occasional relic/coin hunting, and hence all 3 of my detectors are gold prospecting machines (White's GMT, White's Goldmaster II and a Minelab SD-2200V2)
But because I've moved closer to the coast for work I've tried beach detecting about 10 times at quite a few different locations along the California coast with my White's GMT detector, with some success.

I've noticed the GMT handles the dunes just fine but it struggles badly in the wet sand of most the beaches I've tried. So I'm looking to purchase a detector that can handle the wet sands.
I don't really plan on digging underwater so being waterproof isn't a must but it would obviously be nice.

I was looking at the White's MXT to fit this role and also to be a coin detector. But after doing more research I'm finding some conflicting information. I've seen some sources saying the MXT should handle the wet beaches fine, while others say they become quite erratic.

Does anyone have any experience using the MXT on the beach? Would I be dissapointed with its performance in wet sand?

Also could anyone recommend any particular detectors that do handle the wet/black sands easily?

Would possibly would the Pulse-Induction of my Minelab SD help on the wet sand?(Have found a 14K white gold band near a mountain lake with it)

Any and all advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

("I have too many detectors" - Said Nobody Ever)

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most single freq detectors can not handle salt water beaches, you need a multi-freq detector or a PI detector. Your Minelab SD2300 can handle the wet salt sand.....

I said most single freq detectors couldn't handle the wet salt sand, there is at least one exception. The Nokta Fors CoRe is single freq, but it has a beach program and it has a manual ground balance. I tested it at the beach for Kellyco and found it very stable, moving from shallow water to wet sand with no falsing. It is a great land detector that can also be used on wet salt beaches..

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single freq machines may be adjusted to work..... but like TH said they arent the best choice. GB the MXT on the wet sand, depending on the beach, may help.... but it may not transition well. Most ML multi freq do well and you can get a used on fairly reasonable. Machines not designed for the beach may take a beating from the salt air so ensure you wipe them down every time and put something over the exterior speaker to protect it from moisture.

Araworn

May 22, 2014
Long Island
Detector(s) used
. Whites MXT All pro. Whites BHID 300,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an MXT, it is GREAT on dry sand, better than my Minelab. However if you get too close to the wet sand it will act erratic, and lowering the sensitivity doesnt help much. Having said that I love my MXT, as the others have said asa single frequency machine it just doesnt handle wet sand well. So I bought a Whites beach hunter 300 which works great is dual frequency 3 and 15 khz and is waterproof to 25'. I also use a Minelab Safari down in the wet sand and ankle high surf, it also is great in the sand and water. The Safari is NOT waterproof and costs a little more than the BHID 300. Bottom line is the MXT is not suitex for saltwater wet sand.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Araworn, great for dry, OK for damp wet, sucks for saturated wet.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your minelab will work great for wet sand. If you want a dedicated machine that you don't have to worry about getting wet the Whites Dual Field or Tesoro Sand Shark are 2 good PI machines but offer no discrimination other than being keen on subtle threshold sounds. A multi freq VLF machine like a CZ, Sovereign, Etrac/Explorer, or CTX will work much better on wet sand than single freq like the MXT and offer discrimination.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PI is da bomb.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All depends on amount of mineralization/black sand present. Single freq may work just fine, water hunters do very well with the AT PRO in Florida. Then you have typical beach conditions that require a multifreq machine, more iron(black sand) and mineralization present. Lastly you have beaches that have so much black sand that ANY multifreq machine will take a dive. That's when you get a PI.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day my fellow metal detecting brethren!!

I'm seeking advice on metal detectors that can easily handle the wet sands of most beaches. I've been detecting for many years but am relatively new to beach detecting.
Mostly all my detecting has focused on gold prospecting with the occasional relic/coin hunting, and hence all 3 of my detectors are gold prospecting machines (White's GMT, White's Goldmaster II and a Minelab SD-2200V2)
But because I've moved closer to the coast for work I've tried beach detecting about 10 times at quite a few different locations along the California coast with my White's GMT detector, with some success.

I've noticed the GMT handles the dunes just fine but it struggles badly in the wet sand of most the beaches I've tried. So I'm looking to purchase a detector that can handle the wet sands.
I don't really plan on digging underwater so being waterproof isn't a must but it would obviously be nice.

I was looking at the White's MXT to fit this role and also to be a coin detector. But after doing more research I'm finding some conflicting information. I've seen some sources saying the MXT should handle the wet beaches fine, while others say they become quite erratic.

Does anyone have any experience using the MXT on the beach? Would I be dissapointed with its performance in wet sand?

Also could anyone recommend any particular detectors that do handle the wet/black sands easily?

Would possibly would the Pulse-Induction of my Minelab SD help on the wet sand?(Have found a 14K white gold band near a mountain lake with it)

Any and all advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

("I have too many detectors" - Said Nobody Ever)
If you want discrimination and something that will handle black sand and mineralization (like a lot of our Ca beaches), The Minelabs seem to be the best choice. Excalibur or CTX is you want it to be waterproof, Sovereign GT, Explorer, or E-trac if you're not going into the water. If you don't need or want discrimination, use your SD2200. Just be prepared to dig a lot of junk using a PI machine.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excalibur or Sand Shark and you're set...

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PI is the best but, others can work, I use the F75 you have to manually ground balance wet sand water is zero 30 up tide line, 70 dry sand. Works fine doesn't false, but depth in wet sand is nothing like a PI

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sov is a great beach machine

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov rules the beach, only problem is it isn't waterproof...

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking for a machine to hunt the beach AND nugget hunt, Sand Shark PI machine will cover 'em both.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any trouble with the MXT in wet sand, in fact I just dug a gold earring out of the wet sand yesterday. I love the machine!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Till the damp salt air corrodes all the circuits...
Been using mine for almost 9 years, I hang mine from my neck and keep it in the rain pouch at all times when hunting and mine is still working...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is still brand new inside. Opened it up with the intent of doing a waterproof mod. No corrosion at all.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
My excalibur has been FLAWLESS at the beach EXCEPT for two that I've come across and they are in close prox to one another. They both are manageable with my 10" coil but when I run my 15" WOT it's a joke. Those beaches are La Jolla and Black's Beach both in San Diego . Now that I think about it.... ALL beaches from Huntington to Imperial are SO BAD that NO metal detector is of any use... So do yourself a favor and don't even bother to hunt these beaches... EVER!!!!! Spread the word..

OP
OP
G

GoldFounder

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2015
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster II
Whites Goldmaster 3
Whites GMT
Whites V3i
Whites TDI-Pro (Modded)
Minelab SD2200V2
Minelab GP Extreme
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the very helpful responses!!!

I believe I might as well brush the dust off my Minelab SD2200V2 and try it out on some local beaches with an 11" DD or 14" Coiltek DD , maybe decontaminate a section first with the GMT then get the deep goodies with the PI haha.

The Whites Beach hunter/ Surf masters look pretty interesting as well, and so does the SandShark. (Although I'm a pretty loyal Whites fan after finding my first gold nugget (5 Troy Oz. in Quartz) with the old Goldmaster II, its quite literally founds nears its weight in Gold in quartz/host rock specimens lol)

Also I was wondering if any pinpointers have trouble at the beach/ wet sand or do most of them perform well? Thinking about getting one as pinpointing with the larger Minelab coils can be quite time consuming.

Thank you all for the help, hopefully I'll be scoring some rings or old coinage in the coming weeks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread