NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd change things up and go for fresh drops...didnt turn out that way

had plans to hunt sunset sunday night low and Monday sunrise low - saltwater and then Tuesday sunrise -fresh water
well they asked me to work my day off sunday night - so that blew the 2 saltwater lows - so had to decide on tues. morn
2 hr ride to saltwater spot I had not hit in a year or fresh water spot 10 mins. away
decided on the saltwater spot - got up at sunrise and headed down to Ct. bch - had a bunch of hot days lately and thought I'd try and get some fresh drop golds
I used to hit there back in 2000-2004 and got a lot of old gold and silver out of there - it was a spot many said was cleaned out but I went in with a PI and was pulling stuff
down close to 2 feet others had missed - lot of others hit there now a days - handful of locals pepper it - sand has been brought in after storms and older finds were down like 3-4 over the yrs but
mother nature been moving things around - at least in a 5 yard by 20 yard spot I got into
So I arrive 2 hrs before low tide - suit up and jump in - didn't take long that I could see old scoop marks from either Monday or sunday - not a lot of movement when winds are down and this is a deep water bch - meaning when you step in you are in knee deep water at low and at high you are chest deep and with each step you end up about a foot deeper - shallow hunters don't have much area to cover - more made for my type of hunting - mask and snorkel .
After about and hour - I had like 2 pennies a nickel and a few bottle caps - (this is one of those spots that most of us take all the trash out - like I said I hit here a year ago and you can see all the trash I found and this beach can see up to 1000 people on a good day= we try and take it all out.) Then I hit a small spot that I found a coin spill - probably from day before - couple quarters, couple dimes, couple nickles, couple pennies.
At least I found something - worked towards the other direction - close to exact low. I started to see a few old red bricks on the bottom - without a mask - others would not. This is where experience kicks in =
this bricks were from late 1800s early 1900s - they have metal in them and go off like small old gold or deep silver. Seeing them tells me that someone with a PI had pulled them up from down deep. I had pulled out and dispose of as many as I could over the years - had found many silver coins and a few old gold under or with them too. I got a faint signal and scooped down twice and came up with a buffalo nickel (turned out to be a 1916). I was surprised - walked about 5 feet a got another faint signal - 2 scoops later = another buffalo (1917)- wow - got to slow it down and crank the sensitivity up - about 10 feet away - nother faint signal - bam - another buffalo...what the
huh.gif
- got a few pieces of deep junk and because I was hunting in all metal - I started to pull red bricks up from 1 foot down +
mostly halfs and smaller pieces - but they all sound good. I was hitting a lot of rocks -now over the last few yrs you'd have to dig down over 2 feet to hit rocks - I was hitting them about a foot down and the buffalos were underneath them - I was not getting anything new - everything is deep in this area - was hoping to see some old yeller in my scoop - will cut to the chase on that - I didn't - but silver was a different story - I finally pulled a deep merc - a little while later another buffalo - then another deep merc - I noticed a person farther down with what looked like a Whites ID and then another with an Excal - I think they were 2 of the locals - Id seen them in the past - I don't think the ID would be able to reach these targets and if the Excal were to turn up discrim. to miss the red bricks - they too would not get them either (put it this way - they as well as a handful of others live in town and they missed what I got today) - got another faint reading - dug down and came up with an old silver camp fire girl ring - then another merc. Tide was pushing me in - I was now chin deep - where 2 hrs ago I would have been waist deep - I got a whisper of a signal - fanned down about a foot and rechecked - signal now louder - could be a deep ring - scoop down - still in hole - scoop down - still in hole - check and now blasting off - I think I got a large lead sinker - stick scoop in and get a bunch of potatoe size rocks - check hole and I got it in scoop - figure Im gonna see grey lead matter in with the rocks - instead I see see large grey disc = Walking Liberty half
2thumb.gif

Started to head out - winds were picking up and tide was driving me in shallower where swimmers had just started to arrive - got one more faint signal - thought I might get my old gold finally but turned out to be a silver washington quarter.
ended up with silver half- silver quarter - 4 Merc dimes - 5 Buffalo nickles (think that counts as a herd) and a silver ring
not what I had expected for the day - but I didn't get skunked and I left surprised and happy
I have found silver and or gold every water hunt this year - hope it continues

the herd = 1916, 1917, 1920, 1936, one = no date

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Casper. Gold every hunt is an amazing streak. :notworthy: I'm lucky to pull a wheat.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't get gold - got gold and/or silver every water hunt this year

Congrats Casper. Gold every hunt is an amazing streak. :notworthy: I'm lucky to pull a wheat.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Casper,

Congratulations on the Fantastic Hunt! You really cleaned up today.

Regards,

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great story, Casper. I love to hear details of a great hunt as much or even more than looking at finds. At the fresh water lakes I hunt, pretty much everything is a fresh drop. I love that you can dig old coins and jewelry.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great hunt...congrats on the old coins.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky most of those buffalos have a date - they are notorious for fading away........Kinda like those standing liberty quarters.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Casper. Quick question, would you clean that ring differently than you would clean the coins? Just wondering because a couple of weeks back I managed to pull up a small ring that I believe is silver due to its blackened condition (cant make out any markings). Just curious as to how you would clean that camp fire girl ring.

Thanks!
TwoYewts

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't clean any of my stuff any more - I used to use electrolysis - but so many of the saltwater coins would come out so thin - and still in rough shape - I just don't bother - I will do enough to identify them and that's about it - usually just a soft brush

Nice finds Casper. Quick question, would you clean that ring differently than you would clean the coins? Just wondering because a couple of weeks back I managed to pull up a small ring that I believe is silver due to its blackened condition (cant make out any markings). Just curious as to how you would clean that camp fire girl ring.

Thanks!
TwoYewts

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good hunt buddy, Love the old silvers. Enjoyed the story also.. Be Safe..

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOHHHHH! To find Buffalo's again? Wonder what it's like? They look in pretty good shape. Super!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread