Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Florida Sharks

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    zm
    Nov 2012
    643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    YES! All metal detecting in the water should stop immediately.

All of you should get out of the water, and stay out until late September when the shark season is over.

It is for your own safety.

I will be monitoring conditions (willing to make the personal sacrifice) and occasionally 'test' the waters with my detector.

I will let you all know when it is safe for you to go back in.

But for now, to be safe, stay up on the dry sand please.

Stay out of the water with your detector and stay alive!

~This has been a public service announcement~

Attachment 1180839
    Attachment 1180840
    Attachment 1180841
    Attachment 1180842
    I see that everyday on Florida beaches!

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    868 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I used to work with a guy that was in the Marines in San Diego (as I recall), and they would occasionally hunt them from helicopters. I'd guess from his age it was in the 60s.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Nov 2012
    Florida
    687 times
    Its the pi machines. Turn all of them off before we all die. Turn them off damit. Oh its to late.

sent from a sending device
    G.I.B. likes this.

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1266 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost items recovery View Post
    I wear my dive knife often incase one ever wants to tangle.
    LOL - good luck with that.

You have more chance of getting killed in a car accident driving to the beach than getting bit by a shark.
    Fletch88 likes this.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2353 times

Florida Sharks

Or struck by lightning from an afternoon thunderstorm. Although you have to admit there seems to be a lot more shark attacks lately. Or is it because of better communications/ social media and we just are hearing about more of these now.
    Last edited by Fletch88; Jun 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM.

Jul 2012
    512 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There are about 100 million shark attacks, each year — roughly 11,00 attacks per hour.Theese
    numbers may be on the low side, since this this number is based on the number recorded.
    If you dine at a large sea food restaurant, you may see 50 to 100 man, woman, and even children eating sharks while you are dining. If I was a shark, I would be terrified. That’s not even including the thousand of my buddies who have been waisted dangling on long lines or trapped in nets.

Of the more than 450 different types of sharks only a few are harmful to man, such as the bull shark, tiger shark, hammer head shark, you fill in the blank, close to shore in Florida waters. In my opinion, the bull shark is the most dangerous as it can live in brackish waters including fresh water rivers. If you look at the teeth of a tiger shark you can see that they are chiseled, for breaking shells of turtles. A word to the wise — don’t go out past the furthest out sand bar and avoid looking like a turtle which bogy do, especially when wearing short flippers on hand or feet to catch the waves. A hammer head shark has pointed cat like teeth, all the better for holding, so if a victim is attached, you can haul both the victim and shark back to shore.

I did not include the Great White shark, as it is heavily tracked and reported.
    Most victims are released after an exploratory mistaken bite, so survival rate is surprisingly high.
    You can tell from it’s triangular teeth that it mostly feeds on pinapods (seals).
    Nor did I include the Mako, which is morely to hit a shiny propeller on a boat.
    You will find this shark where the tuna roam. Speak of irony both of these apex predators
    are on the threathened list.

Also, please do not bother the sharks, even a nurse shark — which does not have teeth, can gum you to
    Death if you annoy it. The same is for dolphins, which may ram you with their head if you annoy them
    Or confuse their sonar.

When you use the ocean for recreation, you have to realize that you are entering a shark’s world.
    Knowledge and a little respect will go a long way in keeping you out of trouble.
    While those pictures are sensational, they forgot to identify the type of shark photographed.
    Looks like small grey sharks or spinner shark to me.

Personally, I am more scared of walking barefoot on the beach (broken bottles, sharp can lids, fish hooks, nasty staff infections — if you get cut). Then you have to worry about the sun turning you into a crispy critter or burning the bottom of your feet when the sand heats up.

Take care and have a great day, don’t forget to buckle up on your drive to and from the beach which is the greatest danger, or getting run over if you walk to the beach in Hawaii
    Last edited by Sir Gala Clad; Jun 30, 2015 at 02:58 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    28951 times
    Where are you getting your figures?
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8352 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Jaws, the unabridged version.

It's actually a recipe book for eating humans.

They have charts, people tables (similar to tide tables but for people in the surf) and a leg identification guide.

They are publishing a new book next year that has a lot of tips for sneaking up on the tender nuggets, (kids) and how to avoid the people with a high fat content.

I don't want to tell anybody where, but we have been training a Cougar to ride a Tiger Shark. (new tourist attraction)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 4.39.47 PM.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	1181493
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

us
    Retired

Apr 2014
    CTX - Excal - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
    984 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Lots of bait out there this week:

Name:  6-29-15 a.m. Gulfstream2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  5.9 KB
    U.S. Air Force Veteran - Retired Fed with 36 years of Service. "Today's the Day...I gotta get out there with my Minelab"

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    28951 times
    This is the lots of bait I prefer.....
    penzfan and lookindown like this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2251 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    6 shark attacks in NC the past 2 weeks. 2 in OBX. I believe it happens a lot more then we are led to believe. No city/state officials are willing to admit the true numbers, especially recently. Too much money is at stake. We laugh but it's basically the beginning premise to the movie Jaws all over again.
    Fletch88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    28951 times
    If there were shark attacks local new stations would be reporting it just like they are in Florida..

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2251 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Of course they are, but that's it. It doesn't go any farther than local. I'm just saying that the data base numbers in which "we" base our opinions on are a "bite" off

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    28951 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMikeJackie View Post
    Of course they are, but that's it. It doesn't go any farther than local. I'm just saying that the data base numbers in which "we" base our opinions on are a "bite" off
    If they are reported only locally you could still find them on internet search even if only locally reported....

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8352 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    This is the lots of bait I prefer.....
    TH- I dowsed the map for pee spots and marked them in yellow.

Probably should avoid these areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pee spots.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	590.5 KB 
ID:	1181671
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links