Hunting on barrier islands on the West Coast of Florida.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Which barrier islands? Where in Florida?

Some of them are State Park land, Everglades is National Park, some are Historical Landmarks-

That makes it hard to answer such a broad ended question.

Then, in order for a storm to make deposits on the beach, there has to be something to wash up. Is it a known wreck area?

Is the barrier island you are interested in, part of the sand re-nourishment program?

OP
OP
Z

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which barrier islands? Where in Florida?

Some of them are State Park land, Everglades is National Park, some are Historical Landmarks-

That makes it hard to answer such a broad ended question.

Then, in order for a storm to make deposits on the beach, there has to be something to wash up. Is it a known wreck area?

Is the barrier island you are interested in, part of the sand re-nourishment program?

The ones off the Dunedin causeway. It's my understanding that Gasparilla pirates frequented the area.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All pirates frequented ALL islands on Floridas west coast.
Every island.
All islands have some historical significance...
Before the laws concerning them were in place treasure hunters detected every inch of every island for years.

They have all been combed long ago...
and the rest are state lands or privately owned.
Which if state or Nat owned... would make metal detecting them a forbidden activity.
And all the rest ARE Nationally protected lands...
Which means ...If you step foot on them with a detector... you will be arrested.

Storms have not produced any "treasure" on Dunedin area beaches as far as I know.
There was a rumor that some coins were found MANY years ago there...
but they were not from a wreck...
They were considered "drops" on the backside...
Which is off limits for detecting now.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones off the Dunedin causeway. It's my understanding that Gasparilla pirates frequented the area.

If your talking about Anclote Key, it's a State Park and not allowed. So is Honeymoon Island, State Park as well. Not allowed.

The small islands in the ICW are spoil islands, nothing but modern trash there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread