DOES GRIDDING A BEACH OR ZIG ZAGING PRODUCE MORE FINDS ?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I prefer to just walk/zigzag up the beach along the water line. Sometimes I grid and sometimes I zigzag. It just depends. If I go in front of a hotel or populated spot I will grid. If I am just out for a walk I will probably zigzag along the water line. I mean its the beach so I am just glad to be getting fresh air and having fun. Obviously for the best finds you would probably grid an area that you are fairly sure there will be finds.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually start out in a straight line from shore and if I don't find anything I work toward the dock where lots of people hang out. Lots of trash, but good targets there as well. Anytime I find a good target, I work in a square around the target N-S and E-W and quite a few times if I hit one good target, I find others doing this. It may be different in the ocean, but fresh water swim areas work this way for me.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't grid search, you are missing items.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to zig zag until I find the right target densities then grid the heck out of that area and/or line

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
I always grid. It's the most efficient way to hunt. I don't miss much. I always watch the others guys that show up a little later go over the area I covered and they don't seem to find ANYTHING. I may do one section of beach, go back another day and do another section.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
streetglide, here's what I do:

I always grid; I start with a perimeter and continue in a square or rectangle going into the area. I also overlap where my scoop drag mark is seen as I try to not miss an inch of coverage.

The only time I work straight is at the beginning of a hunt as I go parallel to the water line prior to gridding.

I wish you the best out there,

Lorraine

OP
OP
S

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Thank you for input. I will put more time in to gridding areas. I will see how it works out

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What exactly are you gridding? Are you reading the beach first for likely areas that will hold finds? I usually pick a high spot, scope out the entire beach, look for good areas and work my way there. On the way I take several test scoops checking the sand conditions and zig zag my way there. Once I find a target I circle it checking for the likelihood of a pocket. If I start getting many iron hits I slow way down and grid the area. Iron equals heavy targets and the idea that no one else has worked that area because they tend to stay away from iron. Once I do find a pocket I will most likely work it until my machine cannot pickup any signals. There are times in the winter where I can work a pocket several days over with my regular machine until nothing more sounds off, then I return and hit it with the PI and pickup many more targets.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gridding makes sense if you are:

1. Searching for a lost item in a known area
2. Removing masking agents (iron) to uncover hidden non-ferrous targets

If you have no special knowledge where good targets are located beyond generalized search areas (parallel to the low-tide line or towel line for instance), then as long as you are covering ground within the most likely area (and not wandering about repeatedly crisscrossing the same area you've already searched) you are as likely to hit a good target as if you gridded a specific location.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gridding makes sense if you are:

1. Searching for a lost item in a known area
2. Removing masking agents (iron) to uncover hidden non-ferrous targets

If you have no special knowledge where good targets are located beyond generalized search areas (parallel to the low-tide line or towel line for instance), then as long as you are covering ground within the most likely area (and not wandering about repeatedly crisscrossing the same area you've already searched) you are as likely to hit a good target as if you gridded a specific location.
Your exactly right...you wont find anymore gridding than you will zig sagging...unless you grid the WHOLE beach...if you make say 500 sweeps with your coil in a grid, you cover the same square inches that you would cover zig sagging...I slow down and grid when I think Im at a hot spot, like in front of a fancy motel or a spot where a big concentration of people were...if Im hunting a random strip of beach, I zig zag, go in a straight line, grid or whatever hits me at the moment...gridding is boring to me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to just walk/zigzag up the beach along the water line. Sometimes I grid and sometimes I zigzag. It just depends. If I go in front of a hotel or populated spot I will grid. If I am just out for a walk I will probably zigzag along the water line. I mean its the beach so I am just glad to be getting fresh air and having fun. Obviously for the best finds you would probably grid an area that you are fairly sure there will be finds.
I do the same thing...on wet sand and in the water.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I often zig zag until I hit a few targets close together then work vertically up and down the beach and look back as to where the targets are recovered from. Then a line of targets parallel to shore is usually seen (but more so near cuts) then I hold the line until it fades out.
And rinse

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I dont find gridding boaring. If im griding its becsuse I found a spot that warrents it based on a concentration of signals or phisical land features I beleive Will zig zag around untill I find these spots.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While "prospecting" a beach I will work a "lightning" pattern, or zig-zag from wet sand to knee- deep water and back, as I work up or down the beach. When I locate a trough or hit hard pack, I grid the area completely. In the dry sand, I always grid the towel and high tide lines. Gridding is boring and time consuming. No one enjoys gridding, but the technique is proven.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If your finding it boring your probly not finding anything. If you ate finding stuff griding, how can it be booring?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However you do it. make it fun.
Now you got it...there may be a best way but no right or wrong way...do whats right for you.

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
Something different... if you have a large open are to cover I pick the center and work in a circle. I drag my scoop so I know where I have covered. You end up with a nice spiral pattern.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something different... if you have a large open are to cover I pick the center and work in a circle. I drag my scoop so I know where I have covered. You end up with a nice spiral pattern.
There are some veteran hunters that find lots of gold that use that spiral search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread