Begginer needs the scoop on scoops

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc says retire, you have rheumatoid arthritis. So moving to my sailboat full time. Already picked out a metal detector, that was easy vs picking out a sand scoop. I've been reading all the posts I can about scoops but still have no clue where to start or even where to buy whatever one everyone thinks a beginner with arthritis should use. Input Data please !:BangHead:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wahoo as in I won a prize or found gold etc....Sorry just realized I already answered this post! First time back to TNet for a couple of years and trying to get caught up!

Last edited:

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the RTG Scoops. I have two of them. And they will do custom work if you email them. I had them make me an 8" aluminum monster with an extra long handle , a grab handle , and a stainless lip. Things a beast ! But a little heavier than my favorite go-to scoop , the RTG 6" with mesh in the bottom. Drains quickly, but catches stud earrings. Their Scoops are bulletproof. All these open face Scoops end up breaking handles. You don't have to worry about that with an aluminum RTG. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a scoop assist handle to make life easy, with or without arthritis.

Makes water retrievals and one handed digging a snap. IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1618.JPG

hikingthehills

Dec 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Garret scoop for $70 and a $15 shovel handle from Home Depot and it's already found me 6 rings 4 of which are gold and 1 that's platinum . You don't need a $200 scoop to find gold.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Garret scoop for $70 and a $15 shovel handle from Home Depot and it's already found me 6 rings 4 of which are gold and 1 that's platinum . You don't need a $200 scoop to find gold.

How does a scoop find you anything?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Stealth 720i with carbon fiber handle. My shoulders are gone from Arthritis and it's very easy for me to scoop with it.
Last scoop you'll ever need unless left behind in the parking lot.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stealth Extreme 920 is my scoop and I swear you will love it!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have found the Starvr a good option. Very durable. They are somewhat smaller so you get less material to move .... which can really take its tole if you live in an area where it dont drain well. The CF handles can make a weight difference as well. I use the 1/2 holes which hold most targets....... as far as a magnet, they serve little purpose if you have a disc machine. I dont have a problem taking two scoops if needed.... because most of the time its a matter of PPing NOT how deep the scoop will go. I found scoops like the RTG with rounded tips roll.... fully enclosed they tend to push targets out as well. There is nothing more infuriating than chasing a penny.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with cheap scoops is they don't hold up to the stress of digging wet sand over time. My 1st scoop was $80, broke the handle inside of 30 days, broke a $125 scoop too, now I use Stealth scoops. You can use a $200 scoop for 5 years and still sell it for $150+ if you decide you want to upgrade scoops or get out of hobby.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with cheap scoops is they don't hold up to the stress of digging wet sand over time. My 1st scoop was $80, broke the handle inside of 30 days, broke a $125 scoop too, now I use Stealth scoops. You can use a $200 scoop for 5 years and still sell it for $150+ if you decide you want to upgrade scoops or get out of hobby.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

I should be driving over to Kellyco next week to pick up my repaired Excal. I'll bring my scoops and assist handles if you want to try it out in their dig pit.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc says retire, you have rheumatoid arthritis. So moving to my sailboat full time. Already picked out a metal detector, that was easy vs picking out a sand scoop. I've been reading all the posts I can about scoops but still have no clue where to start or even where to buy whatever one everyone thinks a beginner with arthritis should use. Input Data please !:BangHead:

Thank you for posting this and thanks to ALL for great answers and ideas!!! :icon_thumright: Saved me from having to ask... :thumbsup:

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the Stealth 720 and it is a beast. I use it in the surf, wet sand and dry. I upgraded to the carbon shaft and it's nice but not required IMHO.
I keep trying to convince a friend that a good scoop is nearly as important as a good machine on the beach. For me efficiency is key. If I'm digging 150+ coins in a 4-5 hour window, I need to recover those targets FAST. Since my beaches change from tide to tide, when I'm on a good pocket, I'm digging like a mad man because eventually one of those targets is gonna be something I really want. A good scoop allows you to be efficient on the beach just like a good digging tool allows you to be efficient and dig quality plugs on land. You can go with a smaller scoop than the Stealth 720 if you are going to hit dry sand only, and this will probably be better on your arthritic joints too. Wet sand is HEAVY!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought id add this..... https://www.facebook.com/XtremeScoops/ Im waiting to see how this comes out. You can also do what Max did, get a tool hook off a tool belt instead of the SS TH mentioned. You wouldnt think dragging that scoop would be an issue. But this year ive had neck issues and believe it had to do with the tension from hanging on to and moving the scoop in the water.

log2lumber

May 8, 2015
Detroit, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 2 with carbon fiber shaft and upgrades
Minelab Vanquish 540(won it!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth scoop, american made here in Michigan. I have a modified 920 and love it. I may trade it in for a 720 - a little narrower and a little taller.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep an eye on these sites for one on sale or try eBay. I snagged a earlier stealth scoop 90 degree handle with that separate kick plate on the back for $90. It is heavy hauling around on the dry sand but easy in the water (wooden handle). I found in one area I have that it's clay along the bottom so the scoop doesn't push down as easily as just sand or pebbly beach. I bent the back kick plate trying to pound scoop into clay but it still functions. The newer design is better I'm sure but hard to beat a bargain. If mostly staying on dry sand and not wet heavy sand then definitely go with something lighter duty that strains quickly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread