Begginer needs the scoop on scoops

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc says retire, you have rheumatoid arthritis. So moving to my sailboat full time. Already picked out a metal detector, that was easy vs picking out a sand scoop. I've been reading all the posts I can about scoops but still have no clue where to start or even where to buy whatever one everyone thinks a beginner with arthritis should use. Input Data please !:BangHead:

Upvote 0

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you Wahoo as the fish or Wahoo as you went to UVA or just Wahoo?

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever scoop you get, install magnets on the bottom and sides, it will save you a TON of time.

OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wahoo as in WAHOO I found Golddddd !!!!

OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip !

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most seem to agree a large scoop is best in the water.

OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would constitute a "Large" scoop ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have arthritis myself but I still use the big and heavy Stealth 720i. For water use it's great. A light scoop for dry sand makes sense also if you're not going into the surf. I prefer long handles so I don't have to bend so much. I added a bolt-on loop handle from HomeDepot to help carry it and aid in dragging grid lines. I have a Kellyco special travel scoop that will break down and fit into my suitcase. It's fine for dry sand but not near as good for the wet and water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8" at the very least, 10" is better... In the long run bigger is better because you spend less times going back for missed target in first attempt....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote an article by that name "Scoop On Scoops" that is
sent you a PM

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Get a scoop with a stainless steel tip . The aluminum scoop tips wear down and get dinged up, and you spend time on re shaping the tip. I have many scoops. The one I use the most is a 6 inch aluminum rtg scoop with a stainless tip. It is light and digs a big hole with a couple scoops. I tried a all stainless rtg scoop and bent the handle the first day out. The 6 inch rtg scoop has a inch and a half handle and have not had any ploblems with it. Good luck

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on which detector you bought but my 2 favorites are the RTG pro mini and the Steath 720i. The RTG is very lightweight and easy to maneuver. The 720 is bigger and requires a lot more horsepower per scoop!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Doc says retire, you have rheumatoid arthritis. So moving to my sailboat full time. Already picked out a metal detector, that was easy vs picking out a sand scoop. I've been reading all the posts I can about scoops but still have no clue where to start or even where to buy whatever one everyone thinks a beginner with arthritis should use. Input Data please !:BangHead:

Do not get an all metal one. Especially one made of stainless. you want the lightest one to do the job. Do not use one with GIANT 5/8 inch holes.

My two suggestions: stavr m-9 or stealth scoop. They are both open baskets. I can tell you I have hunted for close to fifteen years. I always used a closed basket style with a metal shaft. With 5/8 holes. Never never again. You want an open basket. And you want to use carbon fiber for a shaft.

if you buy the stavr then you will need to order the shaft. 1.25 inch outer diameter at least 48" long. If you go stealth they provide the option for a thicker shaft with the basket. Stavr just makes the basket. I love my new stavr and so does my back an body.

Last bit bit of advice...pull out some coin whatever you do. If you go cheap you will regret it. Hh gl hope you get out there soon. -Joe

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Wahoo, I feel your pain as I retired 2 years ago for the same reason. I use the RTG 6" all Aluminum Scoop in the water with no issues. GL and HH

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wahoo, I feel your pain as I retired 2 years ago for the same reason. I use the RTG 6" all Aluminum Scoop in the water with no issues. GL and HH
That's a great scoop to start out with and some veteran hunters use them...I use a Stealth 720 in the water but I would not recommend it for a beginner with arthritis.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's bad enough on a 45 year old with a tad of arthritis!

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
If you are a bit of a handyman try and make your own scoop. I had a problem with my left shoulder caused by dragging my metal scoop behind me far enough not to interfere with my detector. My challenge was to make a non-metal scoop. Go to my site harras and see how I solved the problem. Ohh... the problems of getting old. Hope this helps you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a ss hook on your belt for your finds pouch and a ss eyelet on scoop handle and problem is solved....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread