Defensive Detecting in the Water

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pilots use check lists to visually inspect their aircraft before taking off so they know the condition of the aircraft and their equipment before taking off. They also practice simulations of possible problems/situations they may encounter while flying so that they know what to do and not panic.

A possible scenario for detecting in shallow water is:
You are wading in waist deep water, approximately thirty feet from shore, near a manned life guard station. There are sunbathers on the beach as it is a beautiful day and the sun is not to hot.
The sea is calm, there are light currents, water visibility is poor.
While retrieving coins/rings, you notice the tip of an exposed fin slicing through the water near you.
What would you or should you do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what I'd do but remember this "there is always a shark out there with a sense of humor" :laughing7::laughing7: image.jpg

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Don't take this wrong but "Are you out of your mind" :laughing7:. I wouldn't have to play dead because I'd be dead from a heart attack. :laughing7:
The best defense is to play dead. Float on your back and they will just nudge you a throw your body around like a beach ball. Stay calm and they will move on.

sent from a sending device

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharks won't attack if it's posted a "shark free zone".

However, if a shark disobeys and removes a limb or two the swimmer will be fined for illegally feeding the wildlife.

Since sharks are endangered species and you are armless and legless now, you can at least feel good knowing your donations are helping to feed the planet.

It's also heartwarming to remember that every limb you lose keeps one baby sea turtle alive. Keeping the ocean water around you red is keeping the planet green.

Captain Planet

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truely wish that I used a better title, looking back " Defensive Detecting in the water seems a little lame/tame". Or that I was better able to communicate so that there were more views and especially more replys, from shallow water hunters and divers.

This thread was not meant to be an exercise in Trivia.
If you have been monitoring shark attacks in North Carolina, you may have noticed my scenario was based on the Jul 02 attack on a man in his 60s at Ocracoke Island, North Carolina (the seventh such attack in the state this year). Updated report(s) reveal that the man was swimming outside the first breaker when he came upon a 6 to 7 foot gray shark. The shark pulled the man underwater, and the swimmer sustained bites to his rib cage, hip, lower leg, and both hands as he tried to fight the shark off.
"There was a big trail of blood from the water to the sand", according to a witness of this attack.

The purpose of this posting, is not to scare , but get you to think about what you should do, may be able to do, or can do, depending on your capability and experience in the water.

Pilots use check lists to visually inspect their aircraft before taking off so they know the condition of the aircraft and their equipment before taking off. They also practice simulations of possible problems/situations they may encounter while flying so that they know what to do and not panic.

This update differs from the below scenario in that the attack most likely occurred in deeper than waist deep water as the victim was swimming, not wading, and the water was most likely clearer. "Also, the victim did not see it comming".

A possible scenario for detecting in shallow water is:
You are wading in waist deep water, approximately thirty feet from shore, near a manned life guard station. There are sunbathers on the beach as it is a beautiful day and the sun is not to hot.
The sea is calm, there are light currents, water visibility is poor.
While retrieving coins/rings, you notice the tip of an exposed fin slicing through the water near you.
What would you or should you do?

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
How come all the detectors in these fictional situations were either Excals or Sand Sharks? How come none of these fictional folks had CZ20s? I have a CZ20 and feel left out! :dontknow:

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11698663_1022602441092590_2976607731487851770_n.jpg Might be a little cumbersome , But here's your best defense....LOL

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries for me, my sports teams have all won in my lifetime, kids on their own... and wife and family will be well taken care of.

Coolest thing would be all my people on Tnet be like ..."I KNEW THAT GUY!!!!"

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
How come all the detectors in these fictional situations were either Excals or Sand Sharks? How come none of these fictional folks had CZ20s? I have a CZ20 and feel left out! :dontknow:

CZ20's are a vegetarian and chick detectors.

These are MAN eating MEAT eating sharks.

(respectfully submitted of course)

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Pull out my pistol and shoot it.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me if you forgot your digging tool that could double as a weapon against it, your goose may be cooked so you might as well scan him with your detector to see if he swallowed anything valuable.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I for one am no longer going to wear my turtle suit while detecting. Can't be too careful around sharks.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a seasoned charter fisherman on the gulf ... The biggest sharks we ever caught came just offshore from the beach.
As a seasoned detectorist on the gulf, i've had them follow me from chest depth into ankle depth, with scoop in front.
The bullsharks are the most inquisitive, and the most apt to detach your joints. Just the chance we take.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of no studies of sharks being attracted to the frequencies given off by detectors. But maybe if bothered by a shark checking you out we could try turning the detector off.:icon_scratch:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
i've had them follow me from chest depth into ankle depth, with scoop in front.

Are they using the Leg Grabber 2000 scoop or something homemade?

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get my 84 year old Mama to go to the river in case any gators were around, but she wouldn't hear about it. Who's going to protect me? Got anywhere from 3 weeks to 7 weeks before I am able to hit the water again so I'll worry about it then. GL & HH and stay safe in the surf and freshwater everybody.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the same in the water as out, be aware of what's in your surrounding area.
Even if you turn off your detector your body has electrical impulses of it's own.
I'm gonna keep an eye on it and poke it with my scoop if it gets too close...as I back away, toward shore.

I have been on Cape Cod years ago, not detecting, in neck deep water (farthest one out) when the life guard blew his whistle yelling to get out of the water there was a shark. I turned and saw a fin 30 feet further out from me. I have never ran/swam so fast in my life. We were all out of the water for an hour while 3 small boats tried the "heard" the shark out of the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread