Defensive Detecting in the Water

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pilots use check lists to visually inspect their aircraft before taking off so they know the condition of the aircraft and their equipment before taking off. They also practice simulations of possible problems/situations they may encounter while flying so that they know what to do and not panic.

A possible scenario for detecting in shallow water is:
You are wading in waist deep water, approximately thirty feet from shore, near a manned life guard station. There are sunbathers on the beach as it is a beautiful day and the sun is not to hot.
The sea is calm, there are light currents, water visibility is poor.
While retrieving coins/rings, you notice the tip of an exposed fin slicing through the water near you.
What would you or should you do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to stand my ground, since I know I can't outrun a swimming shark (assuming it's not a kid with a fake fin). Use scoop and detector as barrier to push off / nosebump the fish.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crap my pants and hope the cloud confuses the shark.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You are not what he is looking for.

Walk towards the beach and come back when it's not feeding time.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reach over and cut the fat guy with the Excalibur II (that I've been following with my Sand Shark), give him a shove toward the shark and start wading to shore yelling "SHARK!"

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Reach over and cut the fat guy with the Excalibur II (that I've been following with my Sand Shark), give him a shove toward the shark and start wading to shore yelling "SHARK!"

Show him all the neat stuff he has been missing right before the shark eats him.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I am aware of the sharks presence I would maintain a visual on it as best as I could. I would then try and motion over to the life guard stand (30 feet away or so) as inconspicuously as possible to the presence of said shark, without causing a panic. I can take care of myself but don't want to see anyone else get hurt. Wouldn't want to apply pressure, tighten a tourniquet, or pinch an artery if I don't have to.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to outswim or outrun the shark just the person in front of you. I find it amazing that the media has spent so much time on this including saying that fishermen are drawing in the sharks. No baitfish are. And we are waist deep in the sharks dinner plate.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pilots use check lists to visually inspect their aircraft before taking off so they know the condition of the aircraft and their equipment. They also practice simulations of possible problems/situations they may encounter while flying so that they know what to do and not panic.

A possible scenario for detecting in shallow water is:
You are wading in waist deep water, approximately thirty feet from shore, near a manned life guard station. There are sunbathers on the beach as it is a beautiful day and the sun is not to hot.
The sea is calm, there are light currents, water visibility is poor.
While retrieving coins/rings, you notice the tip of an exposed fin slicing through the water near you.
What would you or should you do?

I would quickly do a 360 degree scan to make sure there were no other fins visible, with a double check on my 6. I would detach my safely whistle and put the keyring on a finger of my right hand.

If the fin was coming directly at me, I would turn so the fin was approaching at 10 o'clock (my scoop side), free up my detector arm, get a firm grip on scoop handle with both hands with scoop heel up and scoop 1/2 foot or so deep. I would blow my safety whistle. If the fin charged, I would strike hard at snout. If it was meandering, I would firmly push it away. Once it hopefully left, I would move deliberately to the wet sand.

If the fin was not moving directly at me, I would stand still to see if it would leave the vicinity. If it left immediately, I would then move deliberately to calf deep water and keep detecting. If it did not leave in several minutes, I would then slowly move to calf deep water while watching the fin and then keep detecting with an eye on the fin.

And would have head on a swivel in all senarios. If more than one fin was visible, I would blow safety whistle and would move deliberately to the wet sand.

And would be prepared to have a good laugh if it turned out to be a dolphin !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one has said - "Id pull out my dive knife" -
if Im in waters where I have to worry - I carry a dive knife
I'll put it in my pouch - (if I have to hide it) or duck tape to my scoop handle or detector rod - Im one of the "get in as sun rises and out before the first swimmer hits the water"- so have never had a prob with someone saying I had a weapon
when using my hookah or snuba - that is what I use to dig - so its in my left hand anyways
what I always wondered - I know people getting bit did not see it coming - but wondered if you did see it coming
and you had some sort of pepper spray and released in water - Id think it would blind them
I still don't know why scientists cant come up with some sort of sounding device that disrupts their senses or bothers the crap out of them - where you could place floating buoys that emit a signal that can be placed in swimming zones - the military has sonic weapons now that send a wave that can make troops nauseous

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Im gonna yea Its a SHARK. ITS A SHARK. ITS A SHARK.
sent from a sending device

Last edited by a moderator:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remain calm! Keep an eye on it! Start backing up! OR Drop your crap and run on water! :tongue3:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy in South Africa that swims with Great Whites, there's a video out there on the net. He carries some kind of a rod and if they get too close he pokes them . Sharks don't want to fight, they are scavengers - little kids splashing around look like a wounded fish to them..........So, just poke at them with your Excal and you will survive - if you have a Tesoro, you'll probably die as those things are prone to fall apart :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a guy in South Africa that swims with Great Whites, there's a video out there on the net. He carries some kind of a rod and if they get too close he pokes them . Sharks don't want to fight, they are scavengers - little kids splashing around look like a wounded fish to them..........So, just poke at them with your Excal and you will survive - if you have a Tesoro, you'll probably die as those things are prone to fall apart :laughing7:

LOL ....... I have yet to be confronted by a sand shark or shark.. seems the old blue don't leave much of a trail...

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So You are the One!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys on 3 occasions i have been approached by sharks in FL, on commercial in FT Lauderdale while snorkeling. They come in to investigate, always have a long stick "shovel" works well i had a spear-gun, and poke them with if they get too close. As someone else said keep a constant eye on them and vacate calmly. If its a bullshark or tiger shark, continue poking away as they approach eyes and nose are sensitive and back away out of the water those two species are a pain in the ass. If you don't see one coming,i rather have a knife on me rather than just harsh language.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stay still make no splash...99% it will pass. I'm on phone check later an post more.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If Casper dressed as a seal and his knife did not deter the shark - it would me - and it was left up to a WaterWalker, I would pull out my WASP Injector Knife and use it! Just look at what it can do to a WaterMellon at:

WaterWalker would be 1 and shark 0.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two Ninja's with detectors just behind the sharks.

They never saw them... there is your answer grasshopper.

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 10.59.16 AM.png

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The best defense is to play dead. Float on your back and they will just nudge you a throw your body around like a beach ball. Stay calm and they will move on.

sent from a sending device

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions