May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I currently have a CZ21 which I have been using for the past year. I like it a lot and its a fun machine. However, there are a few places I hunt where there is little to no garbage/iron and I think a deeper machine would really help me with my finds there. There are also times when I hunt when sand has been put on the beach from the tide and I think getting deeper would be helpful. Obviously the main beaches around me like wrightsville need a CZ/Excal for discrimination because they are trashy but there are other places that are not. So I was looking at the CTX3030 due its increased depth from the CZ21 but it is way out of my price range and has too many electronics for my liking. Thus I thought a PI machine would be perfect for my second machine.

Am I correct or off in my assumptions?

And which machines should I be looking at?

I do not want to spend more than $1000 and less is better obviously. The two I was looking at are the whites surf pi dual field and the tesoro sand shark. From what I have read, the whites is deeper, and that is what I care about most. Is that correct? What kind of depth would I expect? I have read the sand shark is better designed and has the lifetime warranty but doesnt get as much depth as the whites. Obviously I want a machine that gets 4-5+ inches on my CZ or its not worth it. I do not dive and only go in the water about knee-waist on the very very calm days so I am mostly a wet sand hunter. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the White's Dual Field and really liked it! As far as depth comparisons,
I'm not sure which one is deeper for your needs!
Best of luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Dual Field then if you rarely are going in water. The water I attempt to hunt is usually mid/high current and the big 12" coil was too much drag. I do like the smooth SAT threshold of the Dual Field better than the Sand Shark. The DF balance is a little nose heavy on the stock shaft, but much better with a straight. THE DF coil is also buoyant which is annoying. All in all I like the 8" Sand Shark (owned a 10.5) better for using in the water and it balances better on stock shaft. The lifetime warranty is a plus also.

Last edited:

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
It's a good idea to complement a VLF/MF detector with a PI unit for beach hunting.

I am not a maniac of measuring depth every time I dig a hole, but my Sea Hunter with the 8" mono coil, and in normal elimination mode (set to zero) is as deep as an Excal/Sov GT in the pinpoint mode, the latters having a 10" coil mouted. Garrett's 10x14" accessory coil probably adds 2 to 3 inches to that (will know as soon as mine arrives).

I suppose the DF will be of equal quality and performance, and I know the sand shark is a bit less deep.

I bought the Garrett over others because of the interchangeability of coils, the seales electronics, and the four configurations (on shaft, Under shaft, Under armrest, and shorter diving stem provided), but that was the ideal purchaxe to suit my needs.

Don't dispair in the beginning, as PI detectors can initially be very frustrating before you get the hang of it !

HH

Grumpy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you don't need to go deeper than 12"-15" deep in hip-deep water. You want to be searching out depressions and hard-pack while being smacked by Atlantic waves here on the East Coast, and wasting time on sanded in spots more than 12" deep is a waste of time, as the heavier stuff is elsewhere. You want a machine that won't break when you fall over it, and that you can wash off with a hose, or put in the shower with you.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my opinion and I don't have a CZ21 (I do have the CZ7apro) but I don't think you'll get more depth with the CTX unless you use the 17" coil and the depth you gain wouldn't be worth the money spent for the CTX. If you don't have much trash then maybe a good pi machine would be the ticket. Just saying:dontknow:

Oops, should have read the rest of your post. Your not looking at the CTX . My bad! My vote would be for the Whites Dual Field.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who says you would get more depth with the CTX3030 over your CZ21? Apples to oranges. As a backup you have multiple PI options from Whites, Tesoro, Garrett, that would give you the added depth needed.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live by the shark and die by the shark. Well suited for your needs and wont break the bank.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the tips. There are a couple of used ones for sale in my area that I am inquiring about. If anyone has one for sale PM me

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Also looking at the garret sea hunter Mark II but not sure how the depth/quality compares to the whites.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my doubts about any surf machine that will get 4-5" over a CZ21....2-3 maybe. I like the Excalibur for depth and discrimination. Another one I would recommend is the Garrett Infinium LS. The White's Dual Field is another good choice, but the Infinium has better discrimination. Now if you're only going to use it in wet or dry sand and not in the water, a GPX5000 or GPZ7000 will get you a foot deeper than the CZ21, but at a price and a steeper learning curve. Larger coils will usually help you go deeper, but, sometimes at the expense of small targets. The 17" coil on the CTX doesn't seem to go any deeper than the stock coil from the opinions of all my hunting buddies that swing one. It's advantage is ground coverage.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
At this point I am torn between the whites DF and Garrett SH2. The whites seems perfect except for the floating coil but seems to be possibly deeper than the SH2. The SH2 is cheaper and has interchangeable coils, which I really like.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Dually's threshold is unbeatable IMO and killer for wet sand hunting. If you are really wanting to wade a lot in knee deep to chest deep water, I would get the 8" Shark personally. The thin coil slices thru the water effortlessly and the 8" diameter is much more maneuverable versus the Dually's trash can lid sized coil.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute! If you use the CZ in Autotune you should be getting pi depths! Especially if you have the 10.5" coil.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Wait a minute! If you use the CZ in Autotune you should be getting pi depths! Especially if you have the 10.5" coil.

yes I do use the CZ in autotune. I assumed I would be getting a few inches on the cz but maybe I am wrong. We have a few cleaned up beaches around me that I just cant get anything with my cz for the most part and i figured if I had a pi I could get through the sanded in parts/hunted parts better. Then there are other beaches where i have hits every step.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you don't need to go deeper than 12"-15" deep in hip-deep water. You want to be searching out depressions and hard-pack while being smacked by Atlantic waves here on the East Coast, and wasting time on sanded in spots more than 12" deep is a waste of time, as the heavier stuff is elsewhere. You want a machine that won't break when you fall over it, and that you can wash off with a hose, or put in the shower with you.

Have to disagree - 75% of my finds are deeper than a foot - that is why I got what I got for finds - I hunt after the guys that only go a foot down think they cleaned it all out - I started out with PI and got stuff down 2 feet at a bunch of spots others told me I would not find anything
I do the same thing even now with my cz21 in all metal - (though I believe the DF will go deeper)
I hit spots that don't get much to zero sand movement - so got to go for it as is most of the time -
I crank sensitivity and go for the slightest fluctuation
do it with my cz21 - did same with my PI
did same with my first TR land machine - not for everyone though

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also looking at the garret sea hunter Mark II but not sure how the depth/quality compares to the whites.
when I first got into serious water hunting - I was following a bunch of guys that used sea hunters - I cleaned up behind them

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Have to disagree - 75% of my finds are deeper than a foot - that is why I got what I got for finds - I hunt after the guys that only go a foot down think they cleaned it all out - I started out with PI and got stuff down 2 feet at a bunch of spots others told me I would not find anything
I do the same thing even now with my cz21 in all metal - (though I believe the DF will go deeper)
I hit spots that don't get much to zero sand movement - so got to go for it as is most of the time -
I crank sensitivity and go for the slightest fluctuation
do it with my cz21 - did same with my PI
did same with my first TR land machine - not for everyone though

Do you think its even worth it then to have a PI if I have the cz21? I have my sens on about 9 in wetsand and maybe 7 in the water right now. Its chatty but I dont false.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with an Excalibur instead.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a Sand Shark! Once you get a 100 or so hours on it you can predict with good accuracy when you are digging small iron. The sounds are subtle and each machine is different but I'm accurate with my guess around 80% of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread