Metal detector city at Santa Monica beach this morning!

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody and their mother was swinging a metal detector today:laughing7: Santa Moinca parking lot opens at 6:00am. Got there at 6. I Got down to the wet sand and there were already 3 or 4 people working the hot spots on the north side of the pier. By buddy Frank was there already. I'm going to have to find out where these people park so I can get there early too:laughing7: .Must have been a minelab convention. I saw at least two other CTX 3030's there and two or three excaliburs too. There was a group of young women on the south side of the pier with Garretts working the dry sand. One using what looked like a spaghetti strainer as a sand scoop. Stopped and gave some encouragement and liked her scoop ingenuity:thumbsup:

Nothing but junk jewelry for me again today. My buddy Frank got one gold and a nice heavy costume ring. You would think at least one of my nickel or pull tab hits would be a gold ring but no luck today:dontknow:. My daughter is going to claim the antman pendant. Met some nice people today and had fun. Going to try again tomorrow.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Randy. Jose here from santa barbara. I met you this morning at santa monica beach. Yes there was least 10 people I saw detecting. Found the same stuff as you did . Had a good time. It was nice to meet other people detecting. Good luck Jose

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jose, were you the one with the 17" coil and the harness? It was nice talking to you too. You were covering some ground with that monster coil. See you out here, and good luck to you too:thumbsup:

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
Join the club. Newport Pier area was the same this morning and I was there at least as early as 5 am I am sure the same was seen at HB and Hermosa/Manhattan Piers. All full of newbies today. Hopefully one of them got something good because I sure didn't. Saw a couple using the old kitchen strainer too and another with a machine working without use any headphones. Cracks me up.

I was also up that way last night testing my newly repaired Excal ( thanks Kellyco) which had been out of commission for a while. But darn it should have double checked that the battery was fully charged before I set out and I also forgot the spare. Never even made it as far south as the Santa Monica pier. I am sure there were some goodies still lurking around closer to the pier last night by the time the municipal fireworks displays were going off in the near by coastal areas.

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
same at mission beach.. I wasn't able to get out and ended up doing some jeeping instead... A buddy txt'd me and said that there were 15 md'ers that he counted hitting the beach with 3030's and excal's and there were grid lines EVERYWHERE... What the heck?!!!

That doesn't deter me as it only takes a 1" miss of a swing to miss a gorgeous wedding ring.. WAY to much real estate to get flustered... It's 10pm and I'm about to head out for an all night run. Might head north tonight and hit some non-San Diego beaches.. I have something in mind.. :)

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, been there done that with my spare battery pack in the past :laughing7: thanks for the reply! .
Join the club. Newport Pier area was the same this morning and I was there at least as early as 5 am I am sure the same was seen at HB and Hermosa/Manhattan Piers. All full of newbies today. Hopefully one of them got something good because I sure didn't. Saw a couple using the old kitchen strainer too and another with a machine working without use any headphones. Cracks me up.

I was also up that way last night testing my newly repaired Excal ( thanks Kellyco) which had been out of commission for a while. But darn it should have double checked that the battery was fully charged before I set out and I also forgot the spare. Never even made it as far south as the Santa Monica pier. I am sure there were some goodies still lurking around closer to the pier last night by the time the municipal fireworks displays were going off in the near by coastal areas.

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jeepgold, you got that right. They never get it all and that includes me :laughing: I hope you had some luck last night! Thanks for the reply!
same at mission beach.. I wasn't able to get out and ended up doing some jeeping instead... A buddy txt'd me and said that there were 15 md'ers that he counted hitting the beach with 3030's and excal's and there were grid lines EVERYWHERE... What the heck?!!!

That doesn't deter me as it only takes a 1" miss of a swing to miss a gorgeous wedding ring.. WAY to much real estate to get flustered... It's 10pm and I'm about to head out for an all night run. Might head north tonight and hit some non-San Diego beaches.. I have something in mind.. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread