Busted TRex

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has held up for about 6 months and I don't hunt in rock infested areas. I contacted the manufacturer and he will work with me on rewelding it stating that in 3 yrs no one has broken one.. I don't have the time to send it across the US and then have him send it mid way across the US to weld it then send it back to me... If local weld shops want to charge me an arm and a leg then I will but otherwise I won't. These scoops take abuse at the hand of what they do but that's what they are designed for.. all things fail after awhile I suppose and I found a local shop to do it for 45.00. Shipping would be that much and I need to get back to the beach. I didn't post this as a stab but only for awareness and to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Has anyone else broken a TRex 9.5 at the welds? 20150707_091730.jpg 20150707_094614.jpg 20150707_094627.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Fletch no problems in rocks huh I could be interested in one. I haven't found a scoop yet that can handle the digging I do

I really don't think titanium is your answer. I have two TI diablo's and both would fail in the same place I'm sure specially if your prying rocks with them. My opinion you need a scoop custom made for prying and scooping, possible 12gauge, with very few drain holes for strength and several supports (backbone type) for the torqueing when you pull back. You won't find this in a stock scoop. Or maybe just take a shovel for the rocky areas, a lot cheaper and they work. I do have one friend up your way with a scoop for hunting in the rocks, extra heavy with many beefed up areas. I have pictures but not his permission to post. His has a pry rod on the nose, maybe 2 inch's long by 3/8's rod for getting it between the rocks. It looks barbarian...but works.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd like to see Stealth come out with one that has a "keel" if you will....a rib running along the bottom to stiffen that area when prying. Maybe have it extend forward and inch or two, like a tooth, for getting into those tight cracks. Many times I'll hit an area that looks to be just sand, but, once you start scooping, you get into cobble or rocks. That's what these expensive scoops are designed for, isn't it?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88: That scoop by Indiana is not the same as the one I have. It's easy to see that one is a poor design. No brace or support on the back of the handle insert to withstand constant pulling and prying back on the scoop. No wonder it bent.

Yes they changed the design very quickly right after I broke mine. He offered to give me $50 to repair it myself or return it. Shipping was 1/2 of what o paid for the scoop. I believe it's the same guy over in Latvia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since I took it to a welder and had it properly welded, it's been holding up. Two reasons I wouldn't buy it again or recommend anyone else does. Customer service was sketchy. I pretty much felt as though they were saying I was abusing it and they NEVER heard of anyone else breaking one. Also it aint light. Get yourself a Stvr or Stealth and be happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread