Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! Went to one of my hunting spots for a little enjoyment of our favorite hobby. A misty fog was hanging over the river like a blanket in the early morn. This was usual because of the coldness of the water and believe me you knew it recovering your first target. I was getting the norm, small pieces of foil, the wings of pull tabs, balls of aluminum and can tops. I was using my Tesoro Bandido U Max II with discrimination set at 2. Of course every sound is sought after until found. There are outcroppings of rocks in the river that act as catch areas for "goodies". As I was making my way through the course of rocks I find many a treasure just by "eyeballing". Knives, sunglasses, cameras, watches, GoPros and even rings on occasion. Any area where I can put the coil in between the rocks, even at an angle I do. I got a good strong signal at one these spots and started to dig. The water was already a foot deep and by the time I got the target another foot through gravel, rock and sand. I didn't think much of it at first just another watch. It appeared like one of those cheap Wally watches for young girls with a circle of diamonds around the dial. My vision is poor up close like anyone else my age and I need reading glasses. "Just another watch" and put it in my junk side of my bag. I continued on for 2 more hours with not much more to show for my efforts except some sunglasses. I returned to the car and started to unload and take off my gear. My glasses were laying in the console so I put them on and pulled the watch out. Rolex stood out right away with the familiar crown above. I thinking, "No way!" I looked it over closer, oyster perpetual, Rolex all over the band! I couldn't contain myself started doing the happy dance with a few fist jabs for never giving up! I've always thought that one of these days I was gonna find something good!
I took it to a reputable diamond and watch dealer here in my area. Although there was some damaged due to the length of time in the drink I had all repairs done then a certified appraisal.
Appraisal Value: $9,500
Over 3.5 total carrot wt
Diamond color: H
Clarity: VSI

My wife and I are still not sure if we will sell or keep it. Of course you know what she wants to do! Lol! It does fit her perfect!

Thanks everyone for looking and I hope you make your find of a lifetime!

Detectahead

1680539229147.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
detectahead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolex Watch

The person who appraised the watch is G.I.A certified with over 50 yrs experience. So I think he's seen a few Rolexes! This is also a certified Rolex dealer.
The appraisal pictured has obvious areas blocked out. Enough info to show that "Yes!" There are 3 numbers. One you have to take off the band to see it at 6 o'clock. The other 2 are in the guts. When you buy a Rolex from an approved dealer they have the numbers but Rolex itself doesn't care who you are. The numbers are for the watch not the person who bought it. When you insure it the ins co. wants the #'s. It's the name on the policy with the #'s that gets the payoff. This particular Rolex came out from 1980-81. There's no telling how long this watch has been sitting in gravel,stone,dirt and water, probably years! I'm sure the ins has paid off!
I know I have invested a few dollars to get it at this appraisal. The oyster perpetual movement, the black diamond face. These were moisture damaged. The stem also replaced. Next are the hands and sweep. They work for now but also have moisture damage. I'm up to almost a thousand on work done and parts replaced. The bezel is an aftermarket bezel approved by Rolex (diamonds included). Rolex specializes in watches not diamonds. This is a custom order adding the diamond bezel and black diamond face. The tester is at 12 and 6. I found the watch in early May ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436820881.988225.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436820915.822419.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436820961.952031.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436821001.604820.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436821025.343738.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436821051.525015.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436820961.952031.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436820692.303061.jpg

Detectahead ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436817490.517812.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436817577.591957.jpg

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, Banner for sure. Great find. You'll certainly see a nice return on the money you spent on repairs should you decide to sell it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Sweet!! Happy for you it turned out genuine! Nice find of a lifetime. Now you need to find a mans Rolex for yourself.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find!!! Wow! a Rolex...awesome!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir that watch sure fooled all you experts on real or fake ...It's real

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew it all along bud! Again great find!!!! I voted banner on the original post

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You beat me to it. All of a sudden everyone's a watch expert from looking at a couple of pics. If their so well made that an expert is need to open them and confirm if real then how can one tell its fake from a couple of pics:icon_scratch:
I would give you 2 likes on that post if i could...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting that...some people on here stuck their foot in their mouths calling it an obvious fake when the only thing obvious was them not knowing what they were talking about...congrats again man.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now all you need is a blue sapphire ring. Great find and thanks for sharing the process to get it checked and fixed.

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats again Detecta!
A truly awesome find, and a big "Atta boy" to you!
Banner!!!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder why people INSIST an item be fake when it is not. I mean absolutely and angrily INSIST..... Is it jealousy? Or is it genuine concern for the poor fella that now owns a $10000 watch? It is very tacky acting that way. Furthermore, once the nay sayer is proven wrong, do they apologize? Lol, no because of pride. It is actually quite disgusting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why people INSIST an item be fake when it is not. I mean absolutely and angrily INSIST..... Is it jealousy? Or is it genuine concern for the poor fella that now owns a $10000 watch? It is very tacky acting that way. Furthermore, once the nay sayer is proven wrong, do they apologize? Lol, no because of pride. It is actually quite disgusting.
Yeah, Ive noticed the ones that do that never apologize...so that leaves me to believe its jealousy because if it was genuine concern they would come back and congratulate the finder and say they made a mistake.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real or not (but very glad it is!) ... CONGRATS!

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! I would love to find a newer rolex, me and my ex girlfriend ended up finding 3 rolexs in one day in a old age home shop, this picture was of the better ones 14k gold... I'll get the other pictures off my laptop when I get a chance... Ps all three weren't worth that much maybe 1500 dollars in total

Attachments

• 1436894323030.jpg
    1436894323030.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 155

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The watch look better on those picture..

My banner vote (hope it has worked, not sure the reporting system is functional)...

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even if my wife wanted it, I would sell it, hopefully for 6k+, give her 2k and tell her to go on a shopping spree. She would be more happy with that than a watch any day.

scpower

Apr 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internet experts "knowing" it is fake when the OP already received confirmation of it being genuine are laughable. It really is too bad that they would rather rain on a parade rather than actually have a little humility. I live next to a candy factory, does that make me a candy expert? No.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz!!! :hello2:
I'm going to try to figure out how to banner vote. It will be my first time!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz!!! :hello2:
I'm going to try to figure out how to banner vote. It will be my first time!

Just click on the little red rectangle on top of each thread "nominate banner"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread