Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no choice anymore ... 10" is standard.

If really you want the 8" coil, just buy the 8" coil for Sovereign and put a waterproof connector!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you're pretty much stuck with the 10".....not that it's bad......and it's certainly better than the 8" for everything but high trash areas, but, once you're out of warranty, (or even before if you don't care about such things) go even bigger if you can. I use a 15" WOT and wouldn't use anything else on dry and wet sand. If you're in the water, the smaller coil is a bit easier to swing, but, you lose ground coverage and a bit of depth. I'll take the coverage and extra depth myself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and hunt in pin point (all metal). You'll get an extra 2" or so of depth. You can switch back to discrimination temporarily if you want to see if it's a junk iron target or not. No target sound now in discrimination? It's a deep target....dig it!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been hunting for almost 40 years. I hunted with 3/4 inch to 14 inch coils and after all this, I have gone back to the 8 inch coil. I just bought a new excel with an 8 inch coil. 10 inch is good for covering a lot of ground, but the 8 inch coil is like hunting with an 12 inch, but it's an 8 inch and will go deeper than the 10 inch coil. HH Ron Lord

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I were buying one without question I would get the 10" coil. Hh gl-Joe

I am going to be forking out the $1500 for an Excal II here within the next week and am wondering about coil size. 8" or 10"????? What say you and why and much thanks in advance.

BTW I will be doing a little of everything with it. Salt, fresh water surf, diving and beach hunting in clean and trashy areas.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started with the excal 8 inch coil and found that it is very small coil to cover the ground with. later I bought the excal with the 10 inch coil and that make a big difference. I just had the 8 inch coil removed and DAVE added a 15 inch wot coil. I use the 10 inch for the waist deep water and the wot coil for the wet and dry sand. Very happy with the set ups. good luck. Like she said bigger is better.

Last edited:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I remember it Seems like over the years most who dive or go into the water prefer the 8" coil. I don't really get into the deep surf and I'm a firm believer in coverage so my choice would be for the 10" coil. I have a Excalibur that I bought last year. Bought all the extra accessories and have only used it twice. I need to break that baby out and use it more. :dontknow: . Which ever one you get you're in for some fun. HH

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I remember it Seems like over the years most who dive or go into the water prefer the 8" coil. I don't really get into the deep surf and I'm a firm believer in coverage so my choice would be for the 10" coil. I have a Excalibur that I bought last year. Bought all the extra accessories and have only used it twice. I need to break that baby out and use it more. :dontknow: . Which ever one you get you're in for some fun. HH

8" coil might be preffered for diving for pinpointing reason. It is easier to locate a target with a small coil.
You always have to keep. in mind that time is precious underwater and visibility might also be a challenge. So the use of a small coil can be preffered in certain circonstances.

Up to me, I even dive with the 15" WoT or the CTX 17" to cover large areas. The use of large coil in the water is just harder to swing....for standard detection, 11" or 10" coil are the best compromise:
- good coverage
- good surface/depth sensibility
- easy handeling when swingging in the water

Concerning depth sensibility, the Excalibur 8" will beter in a very trashy area compared to the 10"...due to the poor performance of the Excalibur when iron is next to targets:BangHead:

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually eBay has both options at the same price.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the tips.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a whole new line of coils designed for the excal/sovereign coming that include 6" and 8" so small coils for excal for diving will not be an issue. I have seen the proto types already.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read about some fake Chinese metal detectors entering the market and are now available on eBay.

All I can add is for you to be cautious. Perhaps the seller could give you a serial number first, and then you could try to verify it.

Of course, the easiest way is to purchase from a reputable vendor here on TN. You know you will get a genuine machine at a good price.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectors from Minelab official distributors are nor able to sell a 8" excalibur since jan 2014.

There was maybe a few remaining on the market during the first months of 2015, but not sure.

Take care to the chinese copies, many are available on the market.... Preferer to pay a regular price rather and be sure of the box content ;-)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
10 inch I agree....I love my 800 coil but for the best hunting depth I prefer the 1000..
Big coils are good for coverage but deeper gold's, the smaller coils you can run Hotter and dig faints disruption with a lot less noise (which hides targets). And the noise is cause by the matrix of the sand and saltwater, so bigger you are getting a lot more info (noise) and smaller the sweep speed can be increased causing the faints to stand out more. Like a speed bump, slow over a speed bump is less pronounced, controlled it punch's thru the threshold better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions