sand scoop

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Any know where I can get a sand scoop? Going on vacation to the beach and can't see spending $60- $300 for a few hunts ...
Thanks

Cheap sand scoop, and NON MAGNETIC :thumbsup:

s6_pelle_seau.jpg

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made one from a $7 water valve cover from Home Depot. Works OK for me
IMG_20150715_125952736.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try and hook up with someone where you are going and see if they have one you can borrow
try and ask here if someone is near you that may let you borrow one
easy to make one for land sand
water is another story depending on soil on the bottom in the water = muck, gravel etc

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are you going - that may help with us giving more advice

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9ΞΌS)
do not throw in the $ 20-60 cheaper scoop ...
better to hire a good scoop for little money on vacation ...

OP
OP
jason vandiver

jason vandiver

Jan 4, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
BH QD II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to Myrtle beach... in Sept , I have an ace 350 so no water hunting ... this will be my first time detecting in sand

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jason.
You look like a big beefy guy to me. Believe me, you will not last long on a hot sandy sunny beach using a hand scoop. It will be hard tedious back breaking work. Not much fun at all and beach hunting should be fun.
What you need is a long handle scoop that you can push through the sand with your foot.

I've seen home made scoops used in the sand that work just fine. One that comes to mind is a guy that took a pvc 6" drain pipe, cut it to size, drilled 1/4 inch holes and attached a long handle to it. He said he only beach hunts on vacation and has used it for years. I'm sure in 2 months you could put together a decent scoop. Good Luck.

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Jason.
You look like a big beefy guy to me. Believe me, you will not last long on a hot sandy sunny beach using a hand scoop. It will be hard tedious back breaking work. Not much fun at all and beach hunting should be fun.
What you need is a long handle scoop that you can push through the sand with your foot.

I've seen home made scoops used in the sand that work just fine. One that comes to mind is a guy that took a pvc 6" drain pipe, cut it to size, drilled 1/4 inch holes and attached a long handle to it. He said he only beach hunts on vacation and has used it for years. I'm sure in 2 months you could put together a decent scoop. Good Luck.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a regular long handle trenching shovel with a magnet; makes a small hole to fill up and my pin pointer on a sand beach.
Dig a scoop and kick it around with my foot if I don't see target I squat down and pull out the pin pointer. I pick up those pesty little stud ear rings.
About 200 squats and I am done for the day. See ya at the ice-cream stand.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt dry sand I don't even use a scoop...I move the sand to the side with my foot...I push a couple of piles to the side and scan to see if I got it...I can dig down deep and fast this way...much quicker and easier for me than a scoop...I never go just dry sand hunting but sometimes when Im water and wet sand hunting Ill swing up through the dry sand every now and then...I carry my scoop but I don't use it...only in the wet and water.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Great advice for those 3" deep finds. What about those faints that are 2 ft down? Looks like your technique is the kind that I wish everyone had. That way I'd make a killing

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also use only a little hand shovel... I first kick the sand to the side and if the target doesn't move, I stick my pinpointer in the sand... if it doesn't pick up anything, I take two scoops of sand and toss them to the side... sweep those and if no target I repeat until the target moves... then I use my pinpointer and grab it.

I thought about using a scoop on a stick, but most of my finds are a bit deep. Not saying not to use a good sand scoop but it's not always necessary. Exercise is part of the reason I detect though.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After digging a hundred targets you will wish you had the best sandscoop ever made!
Long handled of course!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice for those 3" deep finds. What about those faints that are 2 ft down? Looks like your technique is the kind that I wish everyone had. That way I'd make a killing
Doubt he'll get any whispers at 2 feet using an Ace 350.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many vendors here have sand scoops in the $40 range that are perfect for dry sand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 118

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two foot down?...the only signal my CZ21 would pick up at two feet would be a garbage can lid...wait I take that back, a car hood. :laughing7:

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I built an non-metal scoop about ten years ago and it is still going. Follow my site 'harrass' and see how I made it. I used items from my shop to build it... hope this helps you. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread