flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I was detecting with my daughter and told her I'd leave a prize for her... so I dropped a Tungsten wedding band in the hard packed sand at the high tide line. I didn't bury it, I just pressed it into the sand with my foot and rubbed a light dusting of sand over it. After swinging my detector for a few minutes I realized the sand was heavily mineralized and there was just no way I was going to find anything.. I went back to get the ring and couldn't find it in the false hits! I tried for two hours... but my poor litte Ace 350 without ground balance could not compete with this beach.

So... if any of you happen to go detecting around the condo pier on Redington Beach, FL (not the long pier, the smaller one south of it) could you please keep an ear out for a strong low to mid tone, under the pier and 10 feet out from each side of it should cover it... in the hard sand, not the soft sand.

It's not a very valuable ring, but it was actually my first ring find... I found it in a park a few months back. I guess it wasn't meant to be found. I honestly don't care if you keep it, I'm just frustrated because I know it's there!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently?..You know that the beaches have been getting hammered by big waves all week

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.
Any Ace guys with suggestions ?
Gotta be a way/setting to help...
Either that or ?
How far up from tide line ?

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently?..You know that the beaches have been getting hammered by big waves all week

Yes, I dropped it Sunday at 9:30pm, and went looking for it again last night at 10:30pm but my detector just gives me an almost constant his in the wet sand... only does it at this beach.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm.
Any Ace guys with suggestions ?
Gotta be a way/setting to help...
Either that or ?
How far up from tide line ?

Between low tide and high tide line... the sand was hard, but not very wet. It's probably not going to be found, but worth a shot for someone with a good salt water detector.

I wish I'd turn my detector on before I dropped it, I would have realized the wet sand was too mineralized for my 350.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 1.33.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 1.33.01 PM.png
    290.9 KB · Views: 79

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
If you turn the sensitivity way down, you may be surprised what the 350 can do. I have hunted Galveston wet sand with a 250 and done well. HH Gayle

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh the "iron"ny. Sorry but I had to.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
every ring has a story. some rings have really long strange trip story haha. good luck bro

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start one hour before low tide...
Work from water line into dry sand in rows...
Drag your scoop or a long stick behind you in the sand as the leave a line in the sand...
get far enough beyond and in the "old wet high line"... then turn around and walk back to water...
repeat as necessary :)

Whichever direction the water current is going is the direction you also must work.
Also...
Start 10 yards at least UP from where you lost it... as to compensate for error.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you turn the sensitivity way down, you may be surprised what the 350 can do. I have hunted Galveston wet sand with a 250 and done well. HH Gayle

Tried all the way down to one bar .. better but could not get consistent hits on anything

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start one hour before low tide...
Work from water line into dry sand in rows...
Drag your scoop or a long stick behind you in the sand as the leave a line in the sand...
get far enough beyond and in the "old wet high line"... then turn around and walk back to water...
repeat as necessary :)

Whichever direction the water current is going is the direction you also must work.
Also...
Start 10 yards at least UP from where you lost it... as to compensate for error.

Thanks for the tips, but this beach gives me problems. I've detected beaches further south even in the water up to waist deep with no problems... just turn down sensitivity and notch out a couple below pull tab.

Doesn't work on this section of beach.

I'm working on getting a better detector... an At Pro or good PI detector could work it I'm sure.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I dropped it Sunday at 9:30pm, and went looking for it again last night at 10:30pm but my detector just gives me an almost constant his in the wet sand... only does it at this beach.

I hunted that beach a couple weeks ago. The sand was very soft and moving in and out fast. That ring is long gone, sorry. Could be anywhere within 200yards wide and two feet deep. FYI: sand shark works great on that beach. The problem is not iron, it is mineralization. Very low iron beach actually.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted that beach a couple weeks ago. The sand was very soft and moving in and out fast. That ring is long gone, sorry. Could be anywhere within 200yards wide and two feet deep. FYI: sand shark works great on that beach. The problem is not iron, it is mineralization. Very low iron beach actually.

yeah that is what i figured..thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread