Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You know? I was just thinking and you make a good point! What about the stuff found and collected by plowing, by Great Grandfathers And passed down! Some of that stuff has been sitting in peoples closets for over a 100 years! How would anyone prove when It was found? Heck My great grandfather was part Indian and had stuff passed down to him. How would anyone prove that? And the way some of these laws work they just take your stuff and ask for proof later! Which in most cases can't be done! (I know someone this happened to on a different subject)

I think they would set up a sting operation or search eBay to see if you are selling these items. Or they could just monitor treasure sites and wait for someone to brag about what they found. Almost like a written confession.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they would set up a sting operation or search eBay to see if you are selling these items. Or they could just monitor treasure sites and wait for someone to brag about what they found. Almost like a written confession.

This is kind of funny! I found a few arrow heads on a property in AL. that we own. I looked up laws and if I read them right? Technically they can't be taken out of the state! SO, I own the land, they are my arrowheads and I can't take them out of state? What? Maybe I read the laws all wrong!

I'm getting posts all mixed up!:laughing7:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think anything found on private property is OK to keep in Florida but I may be wrong.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BTW they never mentioned Treasurenet but this is the only website I ever posted on.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Silence is golden...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

treasurewarrior

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's what I have read on here, but I have found tons of stuff much older and have been detecting for over 20 years in florida, just ask permission whenever possible, stuff can be found on both coasts just about anywhere, just be in the right place at the right time, there is plenty for everyone still left to be found

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FS 267.115

Once upon a time there was an isolated finds related law, but it's not around anymore.

They changed it to talk about anything of archeological value a while ago. (they got tired of me mailing in my 1958-59 pennies while declaring the public beach as an historical site)

You won't find a '50' year old rule/law in the statutes. Not there anymore.

So, hunt away, enjoy, and keep your modern non historical stuff...

In Part:

267.115 Objects of historical or archaeological value.—The division shall acquire, maintain, preserve, interpret, exhibit, and make available for study objects which have intrinsic historical or archaeological value relating to the history, government, or culture of the state. Such objects may include tangible personal property of historical or archaeological value. Objects acquired under this section belong to the state, and title to such objects is vested in the division.

Thanks for posting that. Nice to see factual info show up from time to time.

fwiw, I once returned a dog tag I found while detecting in the woods to the owner. Trick is that it still had the dog attached.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah big cy -- any and all all rail road items belong to the rail road companies ...forever ... any item that once "belonged" to them still belongs to them -- exsample the "rail road spike' you use for a "paper weight" still by law belongs to the RR company that original bought it ...this was done by law long ago to prevent scrap metal folks from stripping the rails and rail road spikes off of what they thought were "old abandoned tracks) tracks (which if the rail road companies thinking the track was still totally intact sent a train down a seldom used track that someone had "stripped" spikes or rails from...) the rail roads actually have their own "police" force that investigates theft of RR "property" like rail road spikes for "public safety" reasons and the fact that RR companies do not like folks messing around with "their stuff"...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ah big cy -- any and all all rail road items belong to the rail road companies ...forever ... any item that once "belonged" to them still belongs to them -- exsample the "rail road spike' you use for a "paper weight" still by law belongs to the RR company that original bought it ...this was done by law long ago to prevent scrap metal folks from stripping the rails and rail road spikes off of what they thought were "old abandoned tracks) tracks (which if the rail road companies thinking the track was still totally intact sent a train down a seldom used track that someone had "stripped" spikes or rails from...) the rail roads actually have their own "police" force that investigates theft of RR "property" like rail road spikes for "public safety" reasons and the fact that RR companies do not like folks messing around with "their stuff"...

Very interesting Ivan. I've found many many RR spikes (they're big enough to over-ride the disc. features of most detectors). Not sure how they can get to locations far away from RR tracks (people who took them to use as tent spikes perhaps?). I normally just pitch them in the trash, along with other scrap iron. But let's say that I decided to keep one, as a paper weight (as in your example). Do you *REALLY* think that I'm in any danger of those RR police you speak of, to launch an "investigation" of RR theft against me ?

And I recall over the years, that some people on find's-forums showed off their RR padlocks (where old-time Railroads would have a monogram or stamp or something on the lock). Those can have collector value, and are cool to collect. But based on what you're saying, those persons are at risk of being investigated by RR police ? If so, what do you think the odds are, that that would ever happen, or my RR spikes being confiscated, etc..... ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I honestly think the odds are quite low of any "investigation" for a random Rail Road spike (but then again ask BIG CY...I guess it can occur ).......but if a local area has "problems" with modern day theft of rail road spikes or other gear and you posted that you "found" and have RR type stuff ... the local rail road cops and their "hairy eyeball" might look in your direction in the course of them trying to find out who is "taking" the rail roads stuff ...folks who "collect" antique rail road items" migh"t get checked out in the process of them hunting down modern day "scrap metal" type thieves ...and yes the internet is watched by law enforcement of all types ..my teenaged neice found out the hard way when she stupidly poste a "photo" of her and a "friend" along with 3 pot plants in containers that they found in the woods behind her house online ...about 10 days later the DEA swat team and local cops showed up demanding to know where he "pot field" was and said she would be arrested if she didn't show them the "location" ...so the "big drug bust" went down ..all 3 plants -- moral of the story --watch what you post --they do watch and see what you post and they do watch the internet for "tip offs and clues" what you think nothing of , they might think of otherwise

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ivan, I can't comment on the mary-jane pot pix you allude to. But when it comes to RR spikes, etc..., you say yourself that the "odds are quite low" that any of us who have ever (gasp) found some RR trinket could be chased down. I'd go so far as to say it will never happen. Not just low odds, but truly "never".

The laws you speak of are, as you say, to prevent dingbats from going to remove RR tracks, etc.... for smelt value. While it's true that the same verbage could be said to apply to singular RR spikes, I'll bet you a crisp $20 bill that you can not find a single case of any such legal actions for the type junk we find md'ing.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they don't care if you have a railroad spike, but go and ASK them if they care and you will get their attention and they will suddenly care.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
or post about you having "rail road type equiptment" you found while metal detecting... on a slow nothing to do day while a overeager rail road police rookie cop is being trained how to use the internet to bust "thieves" of rail road gear ... and some bored rail road cops "might" pay you a visit AS PART OF HIS TRAINING ...,ala BIG CY ..( what with them having nothing better to do to justify their existence ) good old job security at work..

bored govt type .....bullies with badges exist -- they enjoy making folks "respect" them and look for any chance to bust folks and cause problems for "normal people" ... there are police types out there that troll the internet looking for anything they can use against folks ... be smart don't hand them a reason to hassle you by posting stuff without thinking about what your posting , is my point that I'm making .

BECAUSE AS THE COPS SAY * ...ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW... thus open "public statements" of any wrong doing (by mistake or willfully done either way) on the internet are fair game

Last edited:

Uechi

Aug 27, 2015
Clearwater,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Who do you think determines whether an item is of value? Obviously the state, all weasel word garbage. The reality is if they want it they can take it. Silence and a low profile is the name of the game. The biggest enemies to metal detecting freedom are archaeologists. They believe they have exclusive rights to history. I venture to guess
there are thousands of objects found by these clowns sitting in museum basements in boxes for years without being studied or appreciated. Don't get me wrong they serve a useful purpose but they should be working with detectorists not constantly opposing them. Lest people forget almost all of the major archaeological finds have been made by amateurs not degreed so called professionals. Sorry for the rant.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shush up everybody! If this goes on much longer someone will slip up and mention the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow, which is what "they" are wanting to seize when we find it. I'm just happy the Confederate government is defunct, as they can't lay any claims to those nice CSA buckles and buttons we are finding out there that we sell for a nice chunk of change to collectors. Remember "Loose Lips Sink Ships" and get out there and DIG BABY DIG!!!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the CSA govt might be defunct as you say ...but part of the surrender agreement was anything that belonged to the former CSA povt ..transferred ownership to the US govt as part of the war settlement for war "damages" committed to US govt property by rebel forces ... so any "former' CSA govt owned gold is now owned by the US govt and they will not give you a finders fee for its return since it is "govt property" you have a duty as a "citizen" to give it to the US grubbermint if you find it -- that is if your dumb enough to 'find it" and blab all about it --then the US govt can legally step in and claim it with you getting "zippo".. in return ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread