CWB

Greenie
Jun 15, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Going back to work soon and will be unable to detect for awhile. Thought this would be a good time to have my Excalibur II modified the way I want it. Still in warranty so will send to Kellyco. Pinpoint switch and different headphones for sure. My question is what coil would you all recommend ? WOT or SEF butterfly? I hunt wet sand and water when calm enough. I am tired of the 8" coil and want more coverage.
Thanks for all input.

Upvote 0

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The WOT is 15" only. The SEF you can get in various sizes, I use the 10x12 and am pleased with it. Some guys swear by the WOT coil. You have one chance to make it right if hard wired. A waterproof connection would give you more coil options. Good luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals both have the mods, one has the WOT and another has the SEF 12x15".... They are both very close in performance, the 12x15 SEF has a thinner profile and so a little easer to swing in the water..

OP
OP
C

CWB

Greenie
Jun 15, 2015
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Treasure Hunter, I thought I read a post from you about minelab coming out with larger coils for the Excal. ? Cant find it searching or am I mistaken?

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Many of our beaches here in Florida are wide as you know so I chose the 12x15 SEF to cover more area per sweep. I can also get closer to the walls of cuts because of the butterfly design of the SEF and it sweeps just a mite easier in water than the WOT. I've been pleased with my choice and as Treasure Hunter said, there is little difference in performance between the two so you wouldn't go wrong with either choice. ...but as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, I thought I read a post from you about minelab coming out with larger coils for the Excal. ? Cant find it searching or am I mistaken?
It isnt stock coil coming out by Minelab for excal, they are new coils that will work on sovereigns and excals by a 3rd party.

They haven't been released yet, what I saw was proto models..

Last edited:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I have 2 excals both have the mods, one has the WOT and another has the SEF 12x15".... They are both very close in performance, the 12x15 SEF has a thinner profile and so a little easer to swing in the water..

I have to replace the cable on my Xcal and have been thinking about coil options, will bring it with me to the event tomorrow, would like your input before making a decision, should be there early with wife and 5 year old daughter in tow, looking for a first detector for her. Should be a fun day.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teklord I will see you there, I will probably wear my treasure_hunter ball cap so you should be able to find me.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the 10inch coil.. With PP conversion and a good set of head phones.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 10" Tornado also with pp and Grey Ghosts Amphibians.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I have a sovereign 15" wot with quick disconnects for my excal.1000. Mated with a carbon straight shaft, toggle pp, grey ghost amphibs, a hip mount and a bungee cord I can hunt somewhat comfortably for several hrs before my arms start dying. It's when I go from wet to dry and the coil clumps up with sand is what gets my fatigue going. Performance wise I enjoy the 15. MUCH more coverage and notice the tones are a little different. Not easy to swing in water. I can still pull clad 2 ft down in the wet. Only negative is that in high black sand areas I have to turn the sensitivity full low and sometimes that doesn't help. I then can only hunt in discrim Otherwise it's just to chatty.

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have a sovereign 15" wot with quick disconnects for my excal.1000. Mated with a carbon straight shaft, toggle pp, grey ghost amphibs, a hip mount and a bungee cord I can hunt somewhat comfortably for several hrs before my arms start dying. It's when I go from wet to dry and the coil clumps up with sand is what gets my fatigue going. Performance wise I enjoy the 15. MUCH more coverage and notice the tones are a little different. Not easy to swing in water. I can still pull clad 2 ft down in the wet. Only negative is that in high black sand areas I have to turn the sensitivity full low and sometimes that doesn't help. I then can only hunt in discrim Otherwise it's just to chatty.

I have a Excal 1000 and an Excal II. I would love to see a photo of your 1000.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are mine...

e0259c66899be79e31800faecc4f5c5e.jpg

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Really nice! Thanks for posting that. I have the 12x15 set on my 1000 and really like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread