patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the old guys wife ran off with someone who has a metal detector 8-)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not about me, it is about the other users on the beach.
I don't know about you or anyone else but I don't make people feel uncomfortable...I like people and talking to people and I have an outgoing personality...I smile and say "hows it going to everyone"...I smile at the kids when they accidently splash water on me...when I talk to people about detecting and show them my finds, I leave them with a smile on their face and hopefully a new outlook on our hobby...Im starting to think that the detectorist that shy away from people are the ones that have given this hobby a bad name...maybe that's why they call us weirdos...everbody else at the beach socializes...except that "weirdo" over there scratching for coins by himself.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about you or anyone else but I don't make people feel uncomfortable...I like people and talking to people and I have an outgoing personality...I smile and say "hows it going to everyone"...I smile at the kids when they accidently splash water on me...when I talk to people about detecting and show them my finds, I leave them with a smile on their face and hopefully a new outlook on our hobby...Im starting to think that the detectorist that shy away from people are the ones that have given this hobby a bad name...maybe that's why they call us weirdos...everbody else at the beach socializes...except that "weirdo" over there scratching for coins by himself.

Your right about one thing, not knowing me. But I disagree with your perception.
I have a out going personality and talk to many curious folks. However, swinging a coil between people while too close is offensive. Most people would think you are creepy. Talking to kids, you have to becareful there too. Stranger danger. However, I have interacted with them as well. Normally, with a parent's blessing or at least acknowledgement.

You think your smile makes everyone feel comfortable to be intrusive. Thats stupidity in my opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with Lookindown, I have been hunting beaches for over 12 years, I walk and sweep right down the beach by people, never been hassled more than having a few idiots toss coins on the ground thinking it is funny. I have as much right to enjoy the beach as anyone else there plus we clean the beach instead of leaving trash on the beach. No different than throwing a Frisbee, tossing a ball or any other activity on the beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna get you one of those T-shirts that has the arrow with that.

"Im with
looking down"
--------->

:P

As long as the arrow doesn't point to my feet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know I have been thinking (yes I do that from time to time)...

And I thought "what's next" for hunters who hunt between people...

You guys gonna ask them to move out of the way ?

"excuse me mam... can you please that beach chair and towel... you can go back to reading that book when I am done "
"you do know I have as much right to that spot as you do"

heh.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know I have been thinking (yes I do that from time to time)...

And I thought "what's next" for hunters who hunt between people...

You guys gonna ask them to move out of the way ?

"excuse me mam... can you please that beach chair and towel... you can go back to reading that book when I am done "
"you do know I have as much right to that spot as you do"

heh.

When you go to the beach and don't detect do you ask people to move, when your walking dowm a crowded street or in a mall do you ask people to move, of course not so why would we do that at the beach

Remember you, your girlfriend and I hunted together one time too on the gulf coast and not one of us were stayong 20 feet away from the other people.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I di Marty... Ole memory must be failing ya...

I went to extreme right side of beach by the rocks... I could not get any farther away from people without leaving the sand.

Also... if ya remember that trip to that spot was FOR you...

I quit normally detecting LONG before any crowds appear... AND you guys that detect later appear.

I work it first... always have... always will,

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember ?

I found the thinnest nickel you said you had ever seen.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact... prior to you and Dan working your way amongst the crowds... I stopped except for she worked a few benches.

Other than you being over there and me wanting to hang near ya and converse some to get to know ya a bit better than just online.

I brought you guys there for a new spot to show ya... I rarely hunt that beach unless its morning after a July 4th and maybe a time or two in summer.

I have not been to that beach with that many people since I was kid hanging out drinking beer.

Every ranger there knows me... ask em.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did more talking than detecting... in fact set that new setup excel down when I really wanted to be testing it... just to talk whilst you detected... heh

Nothing like having someone carry a conversation on while your trying to hear a whisper...

OH and you went way out by yourself after I pointed you in that direction... SO... heh

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOPR0177.jpg GOPR0178.jpg GOPR0179.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing around and not seriously even detecting... to be more exact and honest.

No offense.. but I was enjoying meeting someone in real life finally from Tnet.

After I have watched your comments for years prior.

And my girl as well... that's why she moved up and away from crowd to the benches until those old dudes came up drooling all over her.

She is a good sport though.

:)

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think if everyone went by the "20-foot rule"... on most beaches in Florida there would be no swimming, no body surfing, no throwing a Frisbee, no setting up your chair or blanket near anyone, no fishing, no building a pyramid, no playing with or throwing a ball, no drinking a beer.... Sounds like NO FUN to me. Like Treasure Hunter said were not asking people to move or bumping into people but 20 feet?? C'mon man. The key is respect. I have never run into anyone but I have been run into by swimmers, been hit by footballs and even been crashed into by body surfers and never once thought they were being disrespectful. I was happy they were doing the same thing I was doing... having fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions