Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can not own water - usually you are allowed to walk up to the high tide mark
and I would have watched to see how many other people were walking from the public area in the wet sand thru their area
I would have went in the water - let him call the sheriff

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask about 20 TH'ers to meet and go thru at once - that'd be funny

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First...
Read this link...
Bar Journal Article

"The federal rule for calculating this all-important line is determined by “the average height of all waters over a period of 18.6 years.”25 The wet sand beach falling seaward of this line is governed by the public trust doctrine. This doctrine holds that these parts of the beach that have traditionally been used for travel, hunting, fishing, and more recently recreation are held by the state in trust for the use of its citizens.26 Like the beds of navigable rivers, private landowners may not hold this part of the beach to the exclusion of others. Following the federal rule for measuring the mean high water mark, Florida’s constitution asserts state ownership of beaches below these “mean high water lines... in trust for all the people.”

Last edited:

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that guy is full of it. PCI does not own the beach down to the water and he has no authority to tell you to leave. I would of gladly waited till the sheriff showed up. I hunt there all the time and have never seen him. The beach is maintained by the city, the beach rentals are regulated by the city and the property they are using is leased to them...not owned by them. Any and everyone has access to the water and beach on SPB. How long ago was this. They started using Security to curb the alcohol problem from early this year during spring break after the big brawl with the cop and two drunk guys....this guy is overstepping his job.

Last edited:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be one of them and make sure a TV reporter is there!

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm often on St. Pete Beach, Pass a Grille, etc.

I've never run into a security guard or anyone else that has asked me to leave the property. However, I'm usually out at first light to avoid the crowds.

I find it odd that this security guard just appeared on the beach. I've never seen a private guard. I do see the local police patrolling the beach often and they've never asked me to stop detecting or leave.

I wonder why the guard made his way out to talk to this person. Was the person causing problems? Did someone complain? Could it be related to him video recording? Wish we had more context for the video.

I typically stay below the high tide line or I'm in the water. I don't typically detect higher than toward what I think is hotel or private property. I also park in public spots, use public beach access and make the walk in front of hotels, etc.

Below is a link that someone posted in response to the YouTube video that might be helpful.

http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/JN/JNJournal01.nsf/0/83d21148206bf5ef852575bb005321eb?OpenDocument

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of his past videos... this security guard, Mack is his name, is out of line and must have a Napoleon Complex. The hotel is the Post Card Inn on St.Pete Beach. Give them a call and voice you complaint about him, It won't be the first.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw some of these areas last weekend, big signs saying no alcohol beyond this point.. but can that restriction really extend into the water?

They had signs way out in the mud. Lovely crooked, rusty, nasty metal signs.

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Respect the old guy who didn't make enough for retirement and has to compensate with a side gig to pay for his meds. (Bi-Polar apparently)... Walk off w/o being sny. (is that how you spell it?) Then return when he's taking his 4pm nap after watching wheel of fortune.

But in all honestly, the MD has NO business trolling around people when they are laying out. You have to think as the bather. Some dude creeping around your stuff. With a camera no doubt. Scoping hot chicks. Could be pervy. Could be a thief. Obviously we aren't but people have different views. Best way to squash those opinions is to hit the beach at off times. Besides all that real estate that he CAN'T hit because of bathers.
As for Tim Conway in the security uniform. One word." Professionalism... " It could keep you off the unemployment line and or out of the hospital I'm not promoting the TH do anything but the guard has NO IDEA who he could be messing with. Wearing a black shirt and a yellow little star and some pepper spray with a radio shack 2 way radio doesn't make you the sheriff in town. Asking politely and dissolving people who question that authority correctly is WHY YOU ARE THERE. Not to be a phallic prick. Where is this place at? I'm damn tempted to go there for the TH rally.. Sounds like an event we need to partake in if you ask me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing wrong with the security guard. We don't see what the azz did to piss off the guard. Azz kept pushing it to get a video and he should have just left and come back another time. Makes no difference on ownership of the sand. Cops can over react to a call an it's best to be invisible.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respect the old guy who didn't make enough for retirement and has to compensate with a side gig to pay for his meds. (Bi-Polar apparently)... Walk off w/o being sny. (is that how you spell it?) Then return when he's taking his 4pm nap after watching wheel of fortune.

But in all honestly, the MD has NO business trolling around people when they are laying out. You have to think as the bather. Some dude creeping around your stuff. With a camera no doubt. Scoping hot chicks. Could be pervy. Could be a thief. Obviously we aren't but people have different views. Best way to squash those opinions is to hit the beach at off times. Besides all that real estate that he CAN'T hit because of bathers.
As for Tim Conway in the security uniform. One word." Professionalism... " It could keep you off the unemployment line and or out of the hospital I'm not promoting the TH do anything but the guard has NO IDEA who he could be messing with. Wearing a black shirt and a yellow little star and some pepper spray with a radio shack 2 way radio doesn't make you the sheriff in town. Asking politely and dissolving people who question that authority correctly is WHY YOU ARE THERE. Not to be a phallic prick. Where is this place at? I'm damn tempted to go there for the TH rally.. Sounds like an event we need to partake in if you ask me.

Agreed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the real reason he got kicked out I'm sure ... skip to 1:30

I don't see anything wrong with what he did except for showing off the ring he found. Someone could claim it and you'd have no recourse. He seemed friendly enough and wasn't causing a problem. With that fish-eye lens, it seems like he's closer to people than he really is.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people walking across his "Property" the whole time the video is going, and riding bikes. They don't own the beach...if they did then they would put up signs on each end saying do not enter. Even if they owned the beach, they cant own the land up to high tide mark, so the wet sand and water is fair game. He said they own the water so he is goofy.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never...
In all my years of this... ever...
Detected around... next to... In between... infront of... OR anywhere around people.

Digging next to people is weird and awkward at best...
Not only for some of those who have just as much right to use the beach as you do for its INTENDED purposes...

IMO it is very inconsiderate of others... and just plain rude... not to mention selfish.

9 out of ten may not mind...
But 1 counts as 10 in my book.

Be considerate of others and MDing in general.

Looks like some use MDing as a "hey look at me" thing... for attention or an "ice breaker" for meeting chicks.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After he told me they own the water, I would have given the guard a hard time. He lied to me and that would of done it. If someone didn't know any better they would say they were sorry and move along. Once he lied to me about owning the water he would get no respect from me. He is trying to scare people off with lies and that's not right. He made a threat when he said "you don't want to see me mad"...let him call the cops and get it straightened out...With his lies and threats it was time to stop talking to him.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad we didn't have to see that security guard get mad!!

Scared_.png

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have had a field day with this renta cop. Give me a break, seriously?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The video has to be a spoof.

I'm on the beach a lot. Never seen him there.

PCI property ends way up on the dry area of the beach. They can post no alcohol signs if they like, because they have bars that sell alcohol at their establishment.

Any authority of a security guard ends where the public beach begins.

I would continue detecting and tell him to call the Sheriff. (The S.O. now has this area, the St. Pete Beach Police Dept. is no more)

Hopefully he is actually employed by the Post Card Inn, and he would spray me with mace or taze me.

The retirement check would be awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread