Scoop Magnets - Do you use them? Where to get them?

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use a PI so ive not found one to be necessary. Magnets of any type are hard to keep in the bucket with all that digging unless you weld them in..... in which case an Earth magnet is a very good choice. Most id say use cheaper ones out of computers and such and position them in the back of the buck to catch iron as you shake it.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I tried it for awhile. Earth magnets from Home depot. Strong lil suckers. Not particularly worth it to me and after awhile they rip off anyways.. Maybe if you bolt them down but for the amount of black sand that they accumulate, it's not worth it to me to catch a bottle cap when I already know it's a cap before I pull it.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Ive had a small (1/2"d) rare earth button magnet epoxied to the bottom inside corner of my RTG scoop for over a year. Works great

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them and glad I have them in my scoop!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnet supply

I use the plastic coated rectangular shaped rare earth with a hole in the middle for mounting.

I tried the computer ones, epoxy, and all that. They never lasted in the salt environment, and were not strong enough.

These, although a bit more expensive, have lasted and work extremely well.

My only problem is how to get the hundreds of tiny ferrous metal bits off the magnet...

IMG_1754.jpg

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Here is what I have been using. The metal the magnet came with has started to rust even though I rinse my scoop after each use. I purchased the magnet from Lowes hardware. I had a small hook on it for mounting on metal doors etc. I drilled out the center and placed stainless bolts, washers and nut to mount on the back of my scoop. The scoop is ugly from the primer sprayings and the extra flex seal can I used to help keep down the rust on hard to get to places.

Scoop1.jpg Scoop2.jpg

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
I recommend using magnets (Neodymium, of the hard disk for example) in the Stavr scoop when hunting PI metal detector.
if you use Excalibur, Exp,Trac, CZ-21 in the magnet is not necessary ..

Last edited:

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the dry wet and water. There is nothing worse than having a target fall through the holes on your scoop. Kind of makes me wonder could that have been a gold or platinum ear ring. That was before I put the magnets in.. At least I know that I have bobby pins, bottle tops, screws, bolts , small washers and nuts in the scoop. If something falls through now I search a little harder for it. Magnets do serve a purpose even if you have an etrac. HH ALL Thanks for looking. GFP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread