First time beach hunting - Coil recommendations for X-Terra 705?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd stick with the stock coil if it's your first time at the beach and this is not going to be a regular thing. It'll work fine in the dry, but, might be a challenge in the wet. You may have to adjust the sensitivity a bit to make it stable. If you're going to start beach hunting much more often and plan on hitting the wet sand or water, I'd get a better beach machine.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thank you for the reply. The stock coil that came with the 705 is the 10.5" Double-D 18.75khz search coil.....

Your major dilemma is going to be the 705's inherent lack of ability on wet/salt/sand. It is my understanding that the HF coil is for teeensy nugget type hunting. And perhaps the LF coils are better suited to mineralized conditions ? I dunno.

I just know that when it comes to coins/relics, the HF coil is good for iron see-through, and teensy things. Not sure how that computes to mineralized wet salt though. My thinking is that it's only going to accentuate the 705's lack of ability on wet salt.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to the Dry sand and you should do well, especially since the size of your Double D search coil is optimum for most conditions (go to beach).

If this is a salt water beach stay away from wet sand as salt is conductive and will appear as a target(s) (noise)
which will require that you reduce your sensitivity loosing depth

Multifrequency balanced Induction detectors (VLF/broadand) or a pulse induction detector are recommended for detecting on wet sand and in the water at salt water beaches.

I'm currently using an X-Terra 705, and looking to take it to the beach to do some hunting for the first time. Can anyone recommend an ideal search coil to use? I won't be detecting in water, mostly dry or damp sand. Thanks!

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 with the elliptical coil is great on the beach, but on dry sand only. It will find coins, silver and the gold if passed over and within depth range. It's the lightest coil / 705 combo, and easy to PP a target without going to PP. By passing the coil back and forth over the target while pulling back till the signal stops, it leaves the target at the tip of the coil.
If your looking for deeper, long lost targets, the concentric might be a better choice, but you will hit many at 6" to 8" with the elliptical. Good Luck, SS

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multifrequency balanced Induction detectors (VLF/broadand) or a pulse induction detector are recommended for detecting on wet sand and in the water at salt water beaches.
It was my understanding that the 705 is a VLF based metal detector, using VFLEX technology? Is this incorrect?

slowndeep

Greenie
Sep 5, 2012
pnw
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine with a 7.5 khz double d coil on dry sand often, it works well. Coins jewelery and bottle caps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread