Cleaning Items

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How can I clean clad just to see if any of the coins are valuable at all? I doubt anything I have found is incredibly old but would like to check before I toss it in the piggy bank.

I'm also looking for simple ways to clean gold and silver jewelry. Just looking to clean up this summer's finds.

Many thanks! Once cleaned up I'll post of photo. Found a few neat things and a few rings in my first season as a hobbyist.

Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor Freight is your friend.... (1)Tumbler for coins & some jewelery, (2)Dremel tool kit with wire brush and buffing pads, (3)Polishing compound.
Crusty silver rings and the like...Line the inside/bottom of a cup with a piece of aluminum foil, place ring on foil, cover with some baking soda, pour hot/boiling water into cup....might need to repeat. polish up with dremel buffing pad and compound.
-Gold should be as pretty as the day it was lost.
--Most of the crusty coins you find in the water like quarters, dimes and nickels...once they dry out the crust flakes off. > or tumble with some dish soap & aquarium gravel. SS

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Soak overnight in clear distilled vinegar, clean off with toothbrush.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm clean coins and valuable now days arent a very good combination. If they are bad enough you cant tell the date....... just us a tumbler as many as you can because they most likely would only be valuable to someone trying to complete a set... but they wont grade unless they are Rare. Most copper coins will come out redish once cleaned..... almost dry looking. you can use mineral oil to bring them back a bit.

OP
OP
C

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Ummm clean coins and valuable now days arent a very good combination. If they are bad enough you cant tell the date....... just us a tumbler as many as you can because they most likely would only be valuable to someone trying to complete a set... but they wont grade unless they are Rare. Most copper coins will come out redish once cleaned..... almost dry looking. you can use mineral oil to bring them back a bit.

Good point. I'm mainly wanting to check quarter and dimes for dates to see if they are pre-1964. Vinegar and a toothbrush worked well for that. If something looks really odd I'm leaving it alone and asking first.

Hope to run into you one day on the beach.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak overnight in clear distilled vinegar, clean off with toothbrush.
White vinegar and salt works best ,but don't put your pennies in with all other coins ,it will turn them all copper lookin. take about 20 - 30 mins.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MOST silver coins you can just look at their sides and tell without a lot of clean up depending on your location and time in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions