jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett pin pointer,vibra tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing quite a bit of detecting lately at New Smyrna Beach. Not a whole ton of luck but some great exercise, coins and the occasional earring. However, I have noticed that about 40% of the time i run into someone detecting digging holes and not filling them back in. Someone 2 weeks ago came near where i was detecting and approach me asking if I was finding anything (this was right after i watch him dig about 2 dozen holes and leave them). I made small talk and ask why he is not filling in his holes. He response was that is was a public beach, the wind, tides fills the wholes and he doesn't have time to fill them. I mention about respect to others and them being a hazard etc. He then proceeded to tell me if you can't watch where you are walking that it wasn't his fault. :BangHead: I left him with the fact that people like himself doing that gives us all a bad name and ruins it for everyone. He told me to mind my own and walked off. Point here. some people have no respect for others and FILL YOUR HOLES YOU DIG ... It only takes a few seconds

Upvote 1

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it only takes a few boneheads to ruin it for everyone.....I do admin on another forum and we remind our members over and over to do the right thing for the good of the entire community.

Actually several years ago when on a business trip I stopped in at a beachside place in New Smyrna called the breakers is it still there?

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
jpmccutc

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it only takes a few boneheads to ruin it for everyone.....I do admin on another forum and we remind our members over and over to do the right thing for the good of the entire community.

Actually several years ago when on a business trip I stopped in at a beachside place in New Smyrna called the breakers is it still there?

Regards + HH

Bill

Yeah there is always a few of those people in everything in life. Yeap, the breakers still there on Flagler Ave. My wife and I rode past it on Sunday on our bicycle ride. Cool little place

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been doing quite a bit of detecting lately at New Smyrna Beach. Not a whole ton of luck but some great exercise, coins and the occasional earring. However, I have noticed that about 40% of the time i run into someone detecting digging holes and not filling them back in. Someone 2 weeks ago came near where i was detecting and approach me asking if I was finding anything (this was right after i watch him dig about 2 dozen holes and leave them). I made small talk and ask why he is not filling in his holes. He response was that is was a public beach, the wind, tides fills the wholes and he doesn't have time to fill them. I mention about respect to others and them being a hazard etc. He then proceeded to tell me if you can't watch where you are walking that it wasn't his fault. :BangHead: I left him with the fact that people like himself doing that gives us all a bad name and ruins it for everyone. He told me to mind my own and walked off. Point here. some people have no respect for others and FILL YOUR HOLES YOU DIG ... It only takes a few seconds

Ugh, every person, kids who dig holes, parents that dig holes for their kids, and metal detectorists need to fill them. I would have told that guy to go back where he came from because he more than likely does not live there. There are more injuries from holes at the beach than any thing else.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Adam I have seen just the opposite. The local, salty "old timers" not filling holes and chunking the trash targets back down, more often than the weekend warrior hunters like myself.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I feel your pain! We have all met a bone head while detecting. It is ashame that a few don't think they could ruin it for the rest. Same happened to me recently. I filled in their holes. Have fun in New Symrna. :thumbsup:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see The Breakers is still there....I remember listening to a good raggae band and hanging out with our waitress and her mom after her shift....
great place.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yeah there is always a few of those people in everything in life. Yeap, the breakers still there on Flagler Ave. My wife and I rode past it on Sunday on our bicycle ride. Cool little place

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not pertain to the problem you are having but I thought I would mention it. A gold coin was found encrusted in the claw of a lobster at New Smyrna Beach. I read about it in an old New York Times Newspaper can't remember the year but I was looking back to 1857. The coin was dated but can not remember. They reported that it was from one of Sir Francis Drake ships. One of his ships sank near there due to taking on water from worm holes. They do not report the treasure being recovered. You may want to research into the story. Find you a salvage company or the lobster beds and get you diving equipment and go for it.
Florida lobsters don't have claws...too funny.

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Now not to hijack the thread (about perceived S African slang not US) last Saturday I was out and filling in all my holes to notice a mini triathlon was going to be run. I was ever careful to really fill in all I could imagine is one of those hi speed lo drag athletes twisting an ankle in my whole that I just dug a pull tab out of.

HH

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
What an ass. Guy is lucky he ran into you and not me. Public beach IS my biz!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it wasn't BigScoop! Lol

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I spend a lot of time at MD New Smyrna beach. If I see someone not filling holes I always talk to them about is as well. Most of the people are newbies and didn't know the etiquette of MD. They are usually grateful for the advice. If we keep telling people when we see it maybe even the thick ones will catch on. As for finding stuff try the south park near the last car beach entrance. I do well near Chases restaurant. Found this ring a few weeks back. I came back with a shovel and sifter but never found the center stone. Even so, it was a nice 14K ring with 12 small diamonds about 1/2 karat total weight

GR pic 2 Aug 9.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
I spend a lot of time at MD New Smyrna beach. If I see someone not filling holes I always talk to them about is as well. Most of the people are newbies and didn't know the etiquette of MD. They are usually grateful for the advice. If we keep telling people when we see it maybe even the thick ones will catch on. As for finding stuff try the south park near the last car beach entrance. I do well near Chases restaurant. Found this ring a few weeks back. I came back with a shovel and sifter but never found the center stone. Even so, it was a nice 14K ring with 12 small diamonds about 1/2 karat total weight

View attachment 1202312

Very nice! I have found some interesting things at new Smyrna including a crematory tag

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OP
OP
jpmccutc

jpmccutc

Apr 19, 2013
Debary, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1202312

Nice find. I haven't had a good finds lately. I always hit chases real quick when I go super early. Tons of trash lol. Thx for advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread