Ive posted this topic before: how many rings on a beach of 100 years plus??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I've posted this topic before: how many rings on a beach of 100 years plus??

I was just wondering what everyone's take on this subject: How much gold on a swimming beach about mile long? I am hunting this beach in the water, found lots of gold there. Started to slow down a bit but this beach has been in use since the 1700's until 2015? I mean how much gold do you think lies in its waters? $50,000 worth of gold? $20,000 worth of gold in gold weight? I am trying to fathom how much actually lies underneath the sand on our beaches? Just curious to hear everyone's opinion to this matter? I am trying to stay motivated because I have only found small go rings and nothing of great value yet but I have done quite well at this place in the past!! Been hitting a dry streak!! Serious, do all of you think that there would be enough gold on a beach that would actually be in the thousands of dollars???

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been using an Aquapulse...
If your swinging a aquapulse your no rookie.
Your not missing much, my guess is give it time and she will start producing again in the future. I have places I let go for several months then return to find the bottom has changed so much that it can be better or even worse then before. But sooner or later they start again..

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was bored so I took a stab at answering this.

Even though people have been going to this beach for 100 years, this model assumes that it's not until 1950 that people had discretionary income to afford jewelry that they wear to beach.

The model further assumes 10% of the beach population wore jewelry, 10% lost it, 10% of what was lost is recoverable and 50% of what is recoverable has already been found.

Like most estimates is full of assumptions. We can't know with confidence what really happened. If we had observational data to validate the model's assumption the estimate would be more accurate but even that would be a guess.

I think a better model to determine the recovery of valuable items would be to poll other detectorists in the area and ask what their ratio of valuable finds is to clad or valuable finds to all items dug, etc. This would provide better data on which to make an estimate. The more detectorists asked, the larger the sample, as sample size increases the reliability of the estimate normally increases as well.

View attachment 1201876

That is an excellent estimate. Well done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Florida I see far higher percentage wearing jewelry, and we have far more people on the beach each day, thousands of beach goers on the beaches each day of summer.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 rings left...
And I am coming to get 2 of em :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread