Ive posted this topic before: how many rings on a beach of 100 years plus??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I've posted this topic before: how many rings on a beach of 100 years plus??

I was just wondering what everyone's take on this subject: How much gold on a swimming beach about mile long? I am hunting this beach in the water, found lots of gold there. Started to slow down a bit but this beach has been in use since the 1700's until 2015? I mean how much gold do you think lies in its waters? $50,000 worth of gold? $20,000 worth of gold in gold weight? I am trying to fathom how much actually lies underneath the sand on our beaches? Just curious to hear everyone's opinion to this matter? I am trying to stay motivated because I have only found small go rings and nothing of great value yet but I have done quite well at this place in the past!! Been hitting a dry streak!! Serious, do all of you think that there would be enough gold on a beach that would actually be in the thousands of dollars???

Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you posted it before why post again why not just bump the last thread?

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering what everyone's take on this subject: How much gold on a swimming beach about mile long? I am hunting this beach in the water, found lots of gold there. Started to slow down a bit but this beach has been in use since the 1700's until 2015? I mean how much gold do you think lies in its waters? $50,000 worth of gold? $20,000 worth of gold in gold weight? I am trying to fathom how much actually lies underneath the sand on our beaches? Just curious to hear everyone's opinion to this matter? I am trying to stay motivated because I have only found small go rings and nothing of great value yet but I have done quite well at this place in the past!! Been hitting a dry streak!! Serious, do all of you think that there would be enough gold on a beach that would actually be in the thousands of dollars???
If I was you , I would stop talking about your beach before someone learns about your beach and clean it out for you. Beaches change all the time. $50,000 is not much if you find a bunch of coins from the 1700's THINK about it !!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Booking my plane for Hawaii....ttyl :headbang:

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:

I was bored so I took a stab at answering this.

Even though people have been going to this beach for 100 years, this model assumes that it's not until 1950 that people had discretionary income to afford jewelry that they wear to beach.

The model further assumes 10% of the beach population wore jewelry, 10% lost it, 10% of what was lost is recoverable and 50% of what is recoverable has already been found.

Like most estimates is full of assumptions. We can't know with confidence what really happened. If we had observational data to validate the model's assumption the estimate would be more accurate but even that would be a guess.

I think a better model to determine the recovery of valuable items would be to poll other detectorists in the area and ask what their ratio of valuable finds is to clad or valuable finds to all items dug, etc. This would provide better data on which to make an estimate. The more detectorists asked, the larger the sample, as sample size increases the reliability of the estimate normally increases as well.

uAvip0W.jpg

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Certman68 I like your estimate!! I was thinking about this and you are right about the 1950's theory. It makes total sense, people didn't really start wearing jewelry on a grand scale until the 1940's-1950's and beyond till 2015. The beach I've been looking has produced a lot of gold so far, I've found 20 rings one day after a huge storm that exposed everything lying on the bottom. I still to this day am finding jewelry that I never found that day, recent stuff and old stuff too. $164,775 sounds a lot, I only hope I can find even a 1/3 of that, that would be incredible!! I've hit a dry spell not finding very much but I really think I am looking in the wrong areas. I am finding artifacts from the 1700-1800's in the water, like musket balls, old broken bottles and old silver from the 1940's. I hope that I can find the right spot!! I've only hit a very small area so far and the beach is protected a bit and is about 1 mile wide. I know there are tons of things there but they just needs to be found!! I hope one day I discover a rare GOLD COIN as this is my biggest goal yet!! I don't know if it is possible but I'll keep trying!! Thanks again for the wonderful post Certman68, yours makes the most sense so far!! I'll keep everyone posted on my finds!! Until then happy hunting everyone!!!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guess much more than $164k here in Cape May County, NJ. The beach is much more than a mile long and back in the beginning a long train ride was required to get here. Most of the people who came had $$$. For the past 40 to 50 years there have been all kinds of people and a lot of drunken guido kids to young adults who wear lots of jewelry and play rough in the water and on the beach.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

You need to give us more details on your records, how long u have been hunting and your monthly take..... and the placement of the beach..open ocean, bay, cove..?

I have old beachs that continue to give but sometimes they just dry up until another season...one should always have several beach's to hit, for when one closes another will open..

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Certman68 I like your estimate!! I was thinking about this and you are right about the 1950's theory. It makes total sense, people didn't really start wearing jewelry on a grand scale until the 1940's-1950's and beyond till 2015. The beach I've been looking has produced a lot of gold so far, I've found 20 rings one day after a huge storm that exposed everything lying on the bottom. I still to this day am finding jewelry that I never found that day, recent stuff and old stuff too. $164,775 sounds a lot, I only hope I can find even a 1/3 of that, that would be incredible!! I've hit a dry spell not finding very much but I really think I am looking in the wrong areas. I am finding artifacts from the 1700-1800's in the water, like musket balls, old broken bottles and old silver from the 1940's. I hope that I can find the right spot!! I've only hit a very small area so far and the beach is protected a bit and is about 1 mile wide. I know there are tons of things there but they just needs to be found!! I hope one day I discover a rare GOLD COIN as this is my biggest goal yet!! I don't know if it is possible but I'll keep trying!! Thanks again for the wonderful post Certman68, yours makes the most sense so far!! I'll keep everyone posted on my finds!! Until then happy hunting everyone!!!

Here's another way of looking at it. Grab your local Convention and Visitor's Bureau data and create a simple model. For example, in 2014 approx. 6 million people visited the St. Pete/Clearwater area. If only 10% went to a beach for one day that's still 600,000 people on the beach in the year. If only 10% of them lost jewelry that's still 6000 items lost per year. Let's be more conservative just for the fun of it. Let's say only 1% lost jewelry, that would still be 600 lost items PER YEAR.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting chart there certman. A couple of the figures I don't agree with. Even before 1950, people still wore wedding rings. Maybe not the bling they wear today, but, they didn't have tungsten carbide, titanium, stainless, etc either, so, most rings were gold or silver. Your assumption is for a beach only getting 100 bathers on a weekend and 25 during the week? Wow, that seems low to me. We get that on a cold, cloudy day in the middle of the winter maybe, but in the summer, we can get 10,000 on any given beach and over 200,000 adding them all together. That would push the available targets up into the stratosphere! Of coarse, many more of the targets have been found too, given the large number of detectorists sweeping the beaches. Food for thought though! :thumbsup:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
If you posted it before why post again why not just bump the last thread?

...anyway.

There is a lot. But only when nature gives you access. And having a good machine and being there first helps!!! Try land or another spot. When the sand comes in that's it. Watch it once a while. Pay attention for storms.

sanding in all over now...

gl -Joe

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Interesting chart there certman. A couple of the figures I don't agree with. Even before 1950, people still wore wedding rings. Maybe not the bling they wear today, but, they didn't have tungsten carbide, titanium, stainless, etc either, so, most rings were gold or silver. Your assumption is for a beach only getting 100 bathers on a weekend and 25 during the week? Wow, that seems low to me. We get that on a cold, cloudy day in the middle of the winter maybe, but in the summer, we can get 10,000 on any given beach and over 200,000 adding them all together. That would push the available targets up into the stratosphere! Of coarse, many more of the targets have been found too, given the large number of detectorists sweeping the beaches. Food for thought though! :thumbsup:

I agree these figures are SUPER conservative. Fun to think about what it would be at 200,000 visitor per day. Good point on the wedding rings being around earlier than 1950.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bored so I took a stab at answering this.

Even though people have been going to this beach for 100 years, this model assumes that it's not until 1950 that people had discretionary income to afford jewelry that they wear to beach.

The model further assumes 10% of the beach population wore jewelry, 10% lost it, 10% of what was lost is recoverable and 50% of what is recoverable has already been found.

Like most estimates is full of assumptions. We can't know with confidence what really happened. If we had observational data to validate the model's assumption the estimate would be more accurate but even that would be a guess.

I think a better model to determine the recovery of valuable items would be to poll other detectorists in the area and ask what their ratio of valuable finds is to clad or valuable finds to all items dug, etc. This would provide better data on which to make an estimate. The more detectorists asked, the larger the sample, as sample size increases the reliability of the estimate normally increases as well.

View attachment 1201876

Nerd! (All in good humor) - I'd love to find 160k in gold!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are over thinking it... allow me to answer..

Total gold on the beaches that are hunted by Tnet detectorists.... TONS.
Total gold on the beaches that I hunt.... ZERO

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would think it would be under 1% of people losing jewelry. i dont know a single person who has ever lost a piece of jewelry at the beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are covered in gold. In about 2010 sub tropical story hit Daytona beach. A rip tide tore a hole in the water about 30 feet wide and maybe 50 foot long. In about 8 hrs over a hundred rings were found in the hole many dating to early 1900s.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Wow, you all have really contributed to this post AMAZINGLY!! Thank you so very much, the beach I look has detectorist but not many go in the water. It's a small bay and the waters are usually calm, I have found lots of old artifacts dating to the 1700-1800's. I find old silver sometimes, mostly from the 1940's. I would love to find an old gold coin but the chances of that is super super rare!! This bay has seen very old boats anchor here, from the late 1700's. But what are the chances of finding very old coinage? The people here never really had any kind of money system until the mid to late 1800's.. I am hoping I find something rare but gold in the form of rings will do!! I have only hunted a small area of this beach with pretty good results. I need scuba for the rest in which I do have but finding the right spots might be a little challenging! Once this beach washed out and that is when I found 20 plus rings.. I do wonder if there is 10x that amount still waiting to be discovered?? What do you all think? This beach doesn't have the amount of people your beaches experience but it has had lots of traffic through 100 years...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My experience is your there doing the time hunting it, know the history.. No one else but you will know the answer better. One thing for sure no place is totally hunted out, sometimes they might dry up but give it time, winds, weather, waves.. things open up some where else..

What machine?

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would think it would be under 1% of people losing jewelry. i dont know a single person who has ever lost a piece of jewelry at the beach.

I've had many people ask that I help them locate lost jewelry and keys on the beach. People have also approached me while I'm detecting and told me stories about the time they lost jewelry on their beach vacation. Yesterday a lady inquired if I thought her sunglasses would wash ashore. I told her to abandon all hope. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions