Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just read there is no metal detecting on Riviera Beach, I have been there and detected the beach. Is that correct there is no metal detecting? I was going to go there tomorrow morning. Thanks

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time we were there I detected behind our resort and then moved past a sign indicating that that part of the beach was in Riviera beach. As I continued to detect I was approached by someone who identified them selves as an employee of the city and he said that metal detecting was only allowed from the water line to the high tide line and not above that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....employee of the city and he said that metal detecting was only allowed from the water line to the high tide line and not above that.

Ah well then it IS allowed :) Thus question for you slider66, where did you read that it's not allowed? Got a link ?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Ah well then it IS allowed :) Thus question for you slider66, where did you read that it's not allowed? Got a link ?

I read it on a post here on this site. Under Riviera beach. They say the City Council passed an ordance. I have metal detected there several times and no one ever stopped me. I planned to go there tomorrow. There is a 3 page post on Riviera beach about it.

Here is the URL

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/122860-riviera-beach-florida.html

This is a photo where I go and enter the beach but now I don't know if I should try it. Rivera beach.jpg

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I read it on a post here on this site. Under Riviera beach. They say the City Council passed an ordance. I have metal detected there several times and no one ever stopped me. I planned to go there tomorrow. There is a 3 page post on Riviera beach about it.

Here is the URL

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/122860-riviera-beach-florida.html

This is a photo where I go and enter the beach but now I don't know if I should try it. View attachment 1202167

You realize that thread is from 2009 right?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yes but most likely the rule still applies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they prob don't want you in the dry where you may bother people laying down and spraying sand on them
they prob had complaints - so do high tide line to the water or in the water if you are able

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or you go at sun rise or sunset - when usually no one cares - that's what I do

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Have you done this in Riviera beach? I have been several times before. Always walked the tide line and the water. No one ever stopped me. I just read the post from 2009 and I'm sure it has not changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I have not been bothered there. Just like the friendly ghost says, hit it after or before the crowds.

sent from a sending device

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the beach is maintained or groomed by the resort there property line goes to the waters edge. Most property laws read about the same but I am just giving my opinion.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey signal, I remember that post years ago. I see that I was amongst those who chimed in on that one :)

All I can say is this: In post #20, someone came up with this code they'd found in that city's muni. listings: article 1, Section 13-1 (7) of the Riviera Beach Municipal code:

(7) No metal detector shall be permitted upon the public beaches of the city except for the search of lost objects of value between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. upon approval of the city manager after written application is made by the person losing such object of value, stating therein the approximate date, time and location when and where the loss occurred and describing the object sought to be found and its value.

Then in #21, Sleeper comes on with an ingenious (and fully justifiable) interpretation , haha.

I'm not sure if the code still exists in that city's minutia. But if you're of a skittish nature, you can look it up to see. Perhaps their code & charter is on their city website? Or behind the counter at city hall in binder form to look at ? Don't ask a live person or city managers asking "can I detect". Because if it didn't actually exist (or quite frankly, no one knows or cares), then you might get subjected to the old "no one cared UNTIL you asked" psychology. Or someone to say "no", because they think you'll harm sandcrabs, blah blah.

Another thing I noticed in that 2009 post, was that some persons said there was even a sign there. However, the person in 2012 adding to the post, said there was no longer such signs. Hmmm, ok, are there any signs there NOW (2015) saying anything ? If not, then I'd just go. I mean, the worst that could happen is someone could come along and warn you. Just go at first light, and be done by 8am. Or go at 6pm, and hunt during the waining daylight (or even at night for pete's sake).

If anyone ever did say something to alert you, and if you really really wanted to detect there some more, then your next course of action is to go loose your silver ring there. Chuck it out in the sand. Go through the formal process of that silly "alert the city manager" thing, and presto, you gotta go out there the next night to find it.

Sometimes I think we md'rs make things WAY too difficult for ourselves. Worrying way too much. I just detect at night for 90% of my hunting. So peaceful. So serene.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially at the beach. Nighttime is great. No crowds, no traffic getting there, ample parking, no sunburn or heatstroke!

Beach Hunter

Jun 24, 2012
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Tesoro Sand Shark 10' coil Howie Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected there and never had problem. Not an area you want to be around at night. Riviera Beach has a major violent crime problem.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
The City of Riviera Beach still has a sign posted near the north end of the beach entrance that states "no metal detectors permitted". That being said, I hunt Singer Island occasionally and never have an issue. As a matter of fact, I frequently have Resort Staff asking me to help find items their guests have lost on the beach or in the surf...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The City of Riviera Beach still has a sign posted near the north end of the beach entrance that states "no metal detectors permitted". ......

Ah, so a sign IS still there (or has been re-posted since that 2009 T'net post). Hmmm. But the beach -hunter says this about Riviera Beach:

I have detected there and never had problem......

Ok Beach Hunter. I know you are writhing and sobbing with guilt right now. And despite your never having any issues there, we are all confident you are going to stop your law-less-ness right now.

As for your guilt ridden conscience, I will absolve you of all that. Just box up all your ill-gotten gain, and send it to me. I will make sure it gets to the proper channels. No .... don't thank me .... it's the least I can do for a fellow brethren, and the furtherance of our fine hobby.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Today 17 December 15 i went to Riviera Beach straight off of Blue Heron Blvd. i checked to see if there was a sign saying no metal detectors. There is definitely a sign there with all the rules, no alcohol, no sand throwing etc and no metal detecting. I went to see the life guard. I drove an hour to get there. He told me that it was okay to detect from the high tide line to the water or in the water but not in the dry sand. He said they did not want anyone around the beach goers. Why who knows? It was a waste of time anyone The who beach has just been re-sanded. i would not waste my time going there again.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Today 17 December 15 i went to Riviera Beach straight off of Blue Heron Blvd. i checked to see if there was a sign saying no metal detectors. There is definitely a sign there with all the rules, no alcohol, no sand throwing etc and no metal detecting. I went to see the life guard. I drove an hour to get there. He told me that it was okay to detect from the high tide line to the water or in the water but not in the dry sand. He said they did not want anyone around the beach goers. Why who knows? It was a waste of time anyone The who beach has just been re-sanded. i would not waste my time going there again.

ok, so there is a sign that has "... no metal detecting " on it. Yet you find someone in authority to say "go ahead" (albeit with certain restrictions of zones). Me thinks he just dreamed that up because you put this question up for his "princely say-so". And then next person/life guard might say "absolutely not". It sounds like no one really cares, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in city hall to even remember the origin of that.

But I just find this oh-so-typical of how we md'rs can shudder in our boots at a supposed "no md'ing sign", yet truth-be-told, they say "go ahead", or truth be told, no one cares or ever had a problem. Not saying to throw caution to the wind (I mean, sure, avoid obvious historic monuments and archie conventions, etc...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread