HELP ME UNDERSTAND

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning All, Yesterday I went back to giving beach. She was not as giving as I previously posted. I had spent a total of 4 hours and was heading back to the van, when I thought why not hit under the pier. I managed a couple of in one side out the other when I got a hit. Since I have had eye surgery my up close vision sucks. I can see for miles but up close, not so good. When I looked in the scoop I saw multiple coins. One of them was big and I thought ah a half dollar. Cool. When I looked at it, it felt to heavy to be a half, with no glasses I made out that it was a Barber... No way I thought. Fake?? I called my friend Rick to see what he thought. He asked if I had a magnet. See if it sticks to the magnet. No why? I sent him a pic of both sides. He called me back and said that it was a 1921 Barber silver dollar. He also said to wrap it in tissue so it don't get scratched any more, because the detail was so good.
This is where I started wondering who, or why would someone carry a Barber around in a pocket full of change. Then proceed to lose all of their change at the beach. I know the pic doesn't do it justice but the best I could do at 4 am. 08 22 15_0040_edited-1.JPG 08 22 15_0042_edited-1.JPG HH ALL GFP

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's sweet!! When it comes to treasure you just never know where you will find it.. I found one a few years ago about 18 inch's down in the sand, 192x ...not even close to the details yours has...Great save of a Beautiful coin!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually a Morgan dollar......assuming it's genuine. There are a lot of fakes out there. Here's keeping my fingers crossed! :notworthy:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
salt water or fresh water spot?

tat-was-a-nice-fuck-bro-keep-it-up.jpg

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Pete

cudamark is right it's a Morgan Dollar. 1921 is the last year it was minted. It's weight should be 26.73 grams +/- and it is 90% silver which is a little over 3/4 oz of silver in the coin.
A couple of ways to tell if it's fake is if the magnet sticks to it and the weight is much less....... like 18 to 20 grams. It does seem to have nice detail almost unc. but value wise only worth about $20.00. Might have been someone's good luck piece...I carried one, same date, for years. It was my father's birth year.

Rich

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet still looking for my first one of those here !

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically occurs from kids raiding grandpas stash ... Found peace dollars silver eagles and buffalo nicks in near mint condition right out the dry sand at CWB some years back.

OP
OP
G

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically occurs from kids raiding grandpas stash ... Found peace dollars silver eagles and buffalo nicks in near mint condition right out the dry sand at CWB some years back.

it was found in the dry. i took it to a coin dealer that our club uses. he authenticated it as real. i know that he has to make a profit so he said he would give me $19. i did not sell.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good offer at today's silver prices.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread