Xcal 100,000 mile tune up.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wires were cracking after 8 years, took in to Kellyco who did a great job with the complete work over. New xcal II ten inch coil and wires, all seals, Anderson knobs, Grey Ghost headphones, and they were good enough to add heat shielding which I supplied to go over the cables. Went out to Ormond Beach for a test run. Worked from the dry area out to chest deep water. Everything worked great. One big change, the signals all were higher in pitch than the old coil ( Xcal 1 ) with the same settings. It was like my first time out before learning what all the targets should sound like.
Will have to learn all over again. Has anyone else noticed a difference from the Xcal 1 to the Xcal 2 coils? Or maybe it is the GG headphones?

Thanks again to Kellyco !

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Barry does Very Good Work.

I think it is a matter of the head phones, then the coil sensitivity maybe different. I just did a back up blue tube Excalibur and put a Excal II coil on it. Seems I have to adjust the sensitivity down just a little. I can swap out the headphones and the audio of the targets are the same on both my machine. But you went to the GGA's so they are clearer and report the targets different then stock. Sounds like your ready to dig some Gold! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wires were cracking after 8 years, took in to Kellyco who did a great job with the complete work over. New xcal II ten inch coil and wires, all seals, Anderson knobs, Grey Ghost headphones, and they were good enough to add heat shielding which I supplied to go over the cables. Went out to Ormond Beach for a test run. Worked from the dry area out to chest deep water. Everything worked great. One big change, the signals all were higher in pitch than the old coil ( Xcal 1 ) with the same settings. It was like my first time out before learning what all the targets should sound like.
Will have to learn all over again. Has anyone else noticed a difference from the Xcal 1 to the Xcal 2 coils? Or maybe it is the GG headphones?

Thanks again to Kellyco !

GG Headphones will give you a different tone than stock headphones but not much to learn. Gold will still give low growl many times.... Bottle caps still sound the same, pull tabs and can slaw still sound same as many gold rings...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread