XCal ~ Gold Necklace & Multiple Target Sounds ~ Advice Please

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last weekend was a bonanza. Low tide mornings meant no crowds, which, I've learned are more of a problem when hunting than trashy areas are. The total finds of a four-day stretch were shared on another thread about my first Civil War relic, which was also found last weekend. Still really happy about that one.

My questions now are about other finds. First, an 18k white gold necklace that, when I found it in about shin deep water, gave a strong but garbled tone like a pull tab and aluminum foil combined or maybe like sunglasses. I didn't have to swing the detector twice or even use the scoop because I looked down and the necklace was partly exposed in the sand. An easy hand grab. But now back at home, I can't get it to duplicate that tone. In fact, it's difficult to get it to sound off at all unless the necklace is bunched together (it wasn't when I found it) and moved very slowly across dead-center of the coil.

So, is it possible that I was getting a signal from something else underneath the necklace and just got really lucky? I've read that necklaces (and bracelets and earrings) don't really give a signal unless they're closed. The only other necklaces and bracelets I've found had large pendants on them, which are probably what gave the signal.

Next question: a couple few times my scoop has come out of the water with more than one target in it. Once there were three coins, other times a good target and a bad one. It's a highly trafficked, trashy beach. What are your all's experience with the tones you get over multiple targets? Would a smaller coil help isolate individual targets? Is there a machine that lets you know when there's more than one target under your coil?

Per some good advice from you guys, I still dig most everything in the water unless it nulls or is clearly aluminum. I even dig lots of what I'm sure are bottle caps that null for a fraction of a second either before or after the tone because, who knows, there might be a ring sitting next to it. My learning curve for getting to know the Xcal's different tones is steep – and fun!

Thanks for any advice.

And Happy Hunting!

ps: Should this thread be in the Minelab section, or is it ok here?

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend was a bonanza. Low tide mornings meant no crowds, which, I've learned are more of a problem when hunting than trashy areas are. The total finds of a four-day stretch were shared on another thread about my first Civil War relic, which was also found last weekend. Still really happy about that one.

My questions now are about other finds. First, an 18k white gold necklace that, when I found it in about shin deep water, gave a strong but garbled tone like a pull tab and aluminum foil combined or maybe like sunglasses. I didn't have to swing the detector twice or even use the scoop because I looked down and the necklace was partly exposed in the sand. An easy hand grab. But now back at home, I can't get it to duplicate that tone. In fact, it's difficult to get it to sound off at all unless the necklace is bunched together (it wasn't when I found it) and moved very slowly across dead-center of the coil.

So, is it possible that I was getting a signal from something else underneath the necklace and just got really lucky? I've read that necklaces (and bracelets and earrings) don't really give a signal unless they're closed. The only other necklaces and bracelets I've found had large pendants on them, which are probably what gave the signal.

Next question: a couple few times my scoop has come out of the water with more than one target in it. Once there were three coins, other times a good target and a bad one. It's a highly trafficked, trashy beach. What are your all's experience with the tones you get over multiple targets? Would a smaller coil help isolate individual targets? Is there a machine that lets you know when there's more than one target under your coil?

Per some good advice from you guys, I still dig most everything in the water unless it nulls or is clearly aluminum. I even dig lots of what I'm sure are bottle caps that null for a fraction of a second either before or after the tone because, who knows, there might be a ring sitting next to it. My learning curve for getting to know the Xcal's different tones is steep – and fun!

Thanks for any advice.

And Happy Hunting!

Thread is fine here. While it is rare to fine necklace with excal, it is possible. It could have read the clasp, or it could have been bunched up as you said it was only partially exposed or you had another target beside or below necklace. Always re-sweep after recover of a target just to be sure there isn't another target ....

I have dug multiple targets in same scoop many times, nothing rare about it. Why would you want a smaller coil, just means you dig more holes, heck I would prefer to get all in one scoop. Smaller coils means less foot print and more swings to cover same area.

I have dug gold rings that sounded like pull tabs and that sounded like bottle caps... The CTX 3030 does give you the advantage of a screen with VDI numbers along with tones in the water but also cost about 50% more and you have to be more careful of leakage...

OP
OP
S

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Excellent advice Treasure_Hunter, thanks for the feedback!

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors tend to look at each individual link of a necklace so you end up, depending on the type necklace, having a hard time reading it or getting a decent signal. This is especially true for small thin linked chains. But, in the water the signal is sometimes better because the water allows for better conductivity between all the small individual links which would explain the signal difference when you tested it later. I would bet that if the same chain had been in a park on dry land you would have went right over it unless you brushed the chain across the bottom of the coil. This has just been my experience. There are a few detectors that will read a small thin linked chain better. I have a Tesoro Compadre that I purchased just for hunting tot lots and it amazes me how it goes after small gold and jewelry, especially chains. There's another detector I've heard that does the same thing but my memory escapes me at the moment what it is. Good luck, great finds!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Ctx 3030 and the excal share the same thing with me. If the excal pinpoints a target and also discrims I PULL IT. If my ctx double blips a target and it's in the 9 to 14.something range even a x.37 to x.39 I pull it. Ctx will process multiple targets at once
Xcal will only do one. And yes a braided chain will confuse an Xcal but you'll still get pull worthy tones. If your considering a ctx and can afford it, go for it. I did
At 1st I didn't like it but the more I'm using the better we are both becoming. And with a 17" coil it will go deeper than you want to dig. Trust me. It goes DEEP.

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thread is fine here. While it is rare to fine necklace with excal, it is possible. It could have read the clasp, or it could have been bunched up as you said it was only partially exposed or you had another target beside or below necklace. Always re-sweep after recover of a target just to be sure there isn't another target ....

I have dug multiple targets in same scoop many times, nothing rare about it. Why would you want a smaller coil, just means you dig more holes, heck I would prefer to get all in one scoop. Smaller coils means less foot print and more swings to cover same area.

I have dug gold rings that sounded like pull tabs and that sounded like bottle caps... The CTX 3030 does give you the advantage of a screen with VDI numbers along with tones in the water but also cost about 50% more and you have to be more careful of leakage...

I have a question. If it is diffficult to find a chain with an Excal why do I find tons of small fish hooks and small hair pins? It seems like if it would be easy to locate a chain if you can find fish hooks. I think the reason there are not many chains found is because there are not that many lost. I'm sure there are more rings lost than chains.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember that sound buddy and don't forget it. You will hear it again someday and it will be another chain. Knowing what to hear when it comes to chains puts you ahead of the game. It is a very unique sound which you cannot duplicate. Nice find!

OP
OP
S

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Thanks a lot all y'all for the responses and good advice!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the 18k gold!!! What is the weight?
TFS and HH

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have possibly detected a charm that was on the chain that slipped off when you dug the chain. Like treasure hunter said, always recheck the hole.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I pull pennies that hit like quarters. Gold like pennies. Nickels like tabs. Tabs like gold. Dimes are always dimes. Point is: dig it all

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have possibly detected a charm that was on the chain that slipped off when you dug the chain. Like treasure hunter said, always recheck the hole.
I was thinking the same thing.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for any advice.

And Happy Hunting!

How do you know when a target is clearly aluminum?...congrats on the chain.

OP
OP
S

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Right, lookingdown, good question. I wasn't clear about that. I don't know when a target is plain old aluminum. Pull tabs sound like gold rings, just like JeepGold said, and whole beer cans at 16" sound great. What I meant and should have said is I dig it "unless it nulls or is clearly crumpled up aluminum foil" — like the kind so many beach-goers leave behind after their fried chicken picnics. That hit sounds like a sick cow playing a broken tuba underwater. It's awful and the only sound I'm confident enough to ignore.

Attachments

• Aluminum_Foil_Ball_insert.jpg
    Aluminum_Foil_Ball_insert.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 161

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, lookingdown, good question. I wasn't clear about that. I don't know when a target is plain old aluminum. Pull tabs sound like gold rings, just like JeepGold said, and whole beer cans at 16" sound great. What I meant and should have said is I dig it "unless it nulls or is clearly crumpled up aluminum foil" – like the kind so many beach-goers leave behind after their fried chicken picnics. That hit sounds like a sick cow playing a broken tuba underwater. It's awful and the only sound I'm confident enough to ignore.
I got it...thanks. :icon_thumright:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Weight is only 5g, which I guess is small. I'm still learning about that stuff too.
That's actually more than I thought it weighed...nice 18k find.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to mess things up....This is my experience with a necklace that said it was 750. or 18k. I was sooooo stoked I just didn't know how to act. I tested it with acid and the mark stayed. I took it to my jeweler and ask him about it. He took in the back and did a scratch test and said it was not gold. I asked how can that be I still see the mark. His reply was look at the color it is still white. When you scratch white gold it will turn gold when you put the acid on it... Then he asked if it was ok to take a link out. Sure... Then he took a piece of a gold ring and hit it with a torch. The gold turned into a ball or bead. He did the same with the link. It just glowed red and when it cooled down it was black. Now a days I don't trust tooo many things. I test and retest just to make sure. If I have a doubt I take it to my jeweler. HH GFP

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
sandybottoms, those are gorgeous treasure finds!:headbang:

The chains that I have found with my GT were either bunched in a ball, or had a pendant attached, or had a section where a name could be inscriber

I'll let the experts on this forum contribute more specific info about chain finds.

I wish you continued success
Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread