Vintage Modernist Silver and Gold Ring, South Florida

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring has no hallmarks nor maker marks, but it streak tested as sterling or coin silver. A sheet of gold covers one corner, and the inset is mother of pearl.

Found at the back of the beach in a traffic lane while I was returning to the car park, the sand was more in the nature of hardpan, and I had to strike it repeatedly with my scoop tip like a chisel to break it up. I really wanted that quarter!

From my own recollection, the beach did not have vehicular traffic until the 1980s. That, and the Modernist style of the ring, leaves me to believe this was a mid-century drop.
mop ring rotated.JPG mop ring.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real interesting looking ring!

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real interesting looking ring!
I thought so, too, which is why i gave it a post. Light reflecting from the smooth gold cap set above the light reflecting from the square textured silver surface inset from the colors refracting from the rectangular prismatic mother of pearl creates a fascinating effect that is hypnotic. I can sit and just keep nodding my pinky to catch different aspects of the light, and I'm mesmerized.

Ooops...I've said too much. But I'll bet the guy who created this ring very well understood what he/she was doing. Definitely an artist.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Wait ive seen this ring before. Say hello to my little friend.

sent from a sending device

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread