Education on sand scoop technique in the water?

Uechi

Aug 27, 2015
Clearwater,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave coil in pin pointed center spot...
Move scoop to rear of coil...
Move coil forward as you scoop.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a mask (& snorkel) when possible- its a big difference
I can recover targets 3 times faster against someone not using one

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh Casper... :)

That almost sounds like a challenge :P :)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn how to dig a target on the dry sand with your eyes shut or in the total dark of night....make sure to start with them on the surface then down about 12 inch's.. Once you can dig all without looking you can hang with anyone. That's one of the reasons I have had a good year I believe. Being able to hit the target and move on. The more you dig the better the odds..

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
It has been quite awhile since I have used a metal detector in the water. I'd appreciate some technique advice on utilizing the scoop once a target is identified especially when you can't see exactly where your coil is from the surface. Thanks in advance.

Here's what I do. I use my foot as a guide. Once you've pinpointed the target, I put the outside of my foot at the edge of the coil. Take the coil away and replace it with the scoop. I like to feel the scoop on the edge of my foot exactly where to coil was. Dig leaving the foot in place. Scan the hole to see if you have the target collected. If not, put the scoop right back against your foot and dig again. Once you have it you can move your foot. Ideally, your scoop and coil are the generally the same width. If not, you just have to adjust a bit.

Hope this helps.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Uechi, I notice you have the AT pro, according to your list under your avetar/member name section. I'm not sure how that signal works in relation to your rod, but if it's anything like the explorers, sov's, or excal's, they detect in a "line", so-to-speak (the DD coil). So even though you can't see your coil d/t cloudy waters, yet with the rod leading down into the water, you can eye-ball a line of where the target is (in direction your facing). Such that it's merely a matter of scooping along that line. Or you can "x" it by turning 90*, etc...., in each case, eyeballing where signal beeps in relation to your rod's entering into the water.

And as for scoop, needless to say you'd need a long-handled scoop, for wading. There's scores of debate on the different types, but here's mine in this video. Although this only shows dry and inter-tidal detecting (no wading), yet I've found this pistol gripped one-hand setup to work good for the purpose you're talking about too.

OP
OP
U

Uechi

Aug 27, 2015
Clearwater,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all the inputs they will be very helpful. I have a long handled scoop I bought from Kellyco more then 15 years ago. No name on it but built like a tank. I just ordered the Raptor handles. This will make it a lot easy for the old guy to move that sand. I hope I run into one or more you on the beach some day.

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
use a mask (& snorkel) when possible- its a big difference
I can recover targets 3 times faster against someone not using one

Are you still using a scoop and using the mask to better see where the target is or are you diving down to the target to recover it?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I water hunting, first get a nice, big, strong scoop. To get in position, I use a similar method to certman. If I can't see my coil, I pin point the target dead center, put my toe right up against the rear edge of the coil, move the coil out of the way to keep it from screaming in my ear when I place the scoop in it's place. I slide the leading edge of the scoop right in front of my toes and take a bit bite. Repeat as necessary. With practice, you should be able to get shallow targets in one scoop, and deep ones in two or three, as long as you have a good big scoop, like the Stealth series.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uechi, I notice you have the AT pro, according to your list under your avetar/member name section. I'm not sure how that signal works in relation to your rod, but if it's anything like the explorers, sov's, or excal's, they detect in a "line", so-to-speak (the DD coil). So even though you can't see your coil d/t cloudy waters, yet with the rod leading down into the water, you can eye-ball a line of where the target is (in direction your facing). Such that it's merely a matter of scooping along that line. Or you can "x" it by turning 90*, etc...., in each case, eyeballing where signal beeps in relation to your rod's entering into the water.

And as for scoop, needless to say you'd need a long-handled scoop, for wading. There's scores of debate on the different types, but here's mine in this video. Although this only shows dry and inter-tidal detecting (no wading), yet I've found this pistol gripped one-hand setup to work good for the purpose you're talking about too.

I made one of those years ago out of a alum cuff crutch.

My stainless is with wrist breaker pull these days.

I am like watching myself... I work the same way ... I cover some ground.

EXCEPT... I fill my holes.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still using a scoop and using the mask to better see where the target is or are you diving down to the target to recover it?
I use mask to see my coil - I get target - can see where I need to scoop and do it
I did the put your foot next to or behind coil thing in the early years - it would take a minimum of twice as long to recover most targets
with a mask in clear water - theres no arguing - I can see exactly where to stick scoop in - I can see items before I scoop sometimes - I can see if item falls out or off the lip - such as sunglasses I hit at wrong angle - or chains that slide over the edge - I can spot small stud earings and small weights that fall threw
I can see the item in the scoop in the water and remove it waist deep instead of pulling scoop completely out of the water which is tough for guys hitting chest deep
with waders
Ive turned a lot of hunters to using a mask with or without a snorkel over the years and they all notice they can retrieve faster
wearing a mask I have found close to $300 in paper money - found about 20 old bottles - found rare shells and other non metallic items too
I can spot underwater troughs - blown out rocky areas and other spots easier
in very rocky - shelly - or mucky areas - I will use a floating sifter - which can speed recovery also - must time I wear gloves and in thick sand or muck
I will stick my hand in and churn the soil out quickly in the scoop which speeds recovery - have seen guys stand there and shake scoop for 5 mins trying to get muck
out - when I know I have target in my scoop - I start to swing as sand filters out - instead of just waiting and will usually wait till I get another signal to see what I got
from last hit - some times will do this when using sifter - especially in thick or mucky spots - will wait till I got 3 targets in the sifter and then pluck them out
all these things plus a few others can speed your recovery - but I feel naked without a mask
if you don't feel comfortable wearing a mask - carry a pair of goggles on top your forehead or around your neck - theyre cheap and lite
I can tell you about 9 out of 10 vets I turned onto wearing a mask - still do - so that says something

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh .. and Ive hunted in extremely rocky areas or solid coral areas in Carribean beaches that guys with no mask had to give up on - where I could
drop down and fan the small crevices and small holes in the dead reef - places where there is just a few inches of sand and scoop is futile
couple beaches in Mex. were like that and partner could only hit shallows where there was sand while I was diving under and fanning gold rings between large coral boulders - so even if you don't want to wear one all the time - good idea to take one on vacays where you don't know what kind of bottoms youre dealing with or keep one in the car - most people that have known me for yrs - know wearing a mask is great for me because I hit form like chest deep and out - very rarely will you find me in waist deep or less - so mask and snorkel lets me get out to the top of my head+ ...and I do it standing
some people think Im actually snorkeling -- Im am not -unless fanning like I mentioned - Im standing ...walking in 6 freet of water using a snorkel ..but not snorkeling

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
other reason is the stealth - I probably get bothered 50% less than most cause I trying staying mostly under even in the shallower water
most people don't know what Im doing till I actually get out - then its "oh..he was metal detecting out there"
by the way - other that read my post on "being a seal" - my girlfriend had a lot of laughs this past weekend cause bunch more people
were saying "look at the seal" at spot I was at - when I picked my head up - people were putting their hands over the eyes or cupping hands to try and block the sun to see what I was

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I use mask to see my coil - I get target - can see where I need to scoop and do it
I did the put your foot next to or behind coil thing in the early years - it would take a minimum of twice as long to recover most targets
with a mask in clear water - theres no arguing - I can see exactly where to stick scoop in - I can see items before I scoop sometimes - I can see if item falls out or off the lip - such as sunglasses I hit at wrong angle - or chains that slide over the edge - I can spot small stud earings and small weights that fall threw
I can see the item in the scoop in the water and remove it waist deep instead of pulling scoop completely out of the water which is tough for guys hitting chest deep
with waders
Ive turned a lot of hunters to using a mask with or without a snorkel over the years and they all notice they can retrieve faster
wearing a mask I have found close to $300 in paper money - found about 20 old bottles - found rare shells and other non metallic items too
I can spot underwater troughs - blown out rocky areas and other spots easier
in very rocky - shelly - or mucky areas - I will use a floating sifter - which can speed recovery also - must time I wear gloves and in thick sand or muck
I will stick my hand in and churn the soil out quickly in the scoop which speeds recovery - have seen guys stand there and shake scoop for 5 mins trying to get muck
out - when I know I have target in my scoop - I start to swing as sand filters out - instead of just waiting and will usually wait till I get another signal to see what I got
from last hit - some times will do this when using sifter - especially in thick or mucky spots - will wait till I got 3 targets in the sifter and then pluck them out
all these things plus a few others can speed your recovery - but I feel naked without a mask
if you don't feel comfortable wearing a mask - carry a pair of goggles on top your forehead or around your neck - theyre cheap and lite
I can tell you about 9 out of 10 vets I turned onto wearing a mask - still do - so that says something

Super helpful. Thank you. I am going to try this next time out. I'll let you know how it goes. Anything that speeds recovery time is worth trying!

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Many thanks for the pictures. They are very helpful. You really can't tell what you're up to and I can imagine you get fewer "find anything?" questions.

other reason is the stealth - I probably get bothered 50% less than most cause I trying staying mostly under even in the shallower water
most people don't know what Im doing till I actually get out - then its "oh..he was metal detecting out there"
by the way - other that read my post on "being a seal" - my girlfriend had a lot of laughs this past weekend cause bunch more people
were saying "look at the seal" at spot I was at - when I picked my head up - people were putting their hands over the eyes or cupping hands to try and block the sun to see what I was

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great pics!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visibility in the water here is less then a foot... so no clear, clean, seeing the bottom. All can be done with your eyes closed and the feel of the scoop against your foot and the audio report of the target. Targets are very deep and clam shells are a issue in many places...fanning is out and confidence is in....Less then 3 minutes to recover a deep small gold ring, never looking down.

ever try attatching a glow stick to coil - if you get them bulk or at right place - you can get them cheap
so you can change out easily - yrs ago I knew a guy that took the plastic clips from old tv tray and epoxied 2 to his coil
so he could pop a glow stick in to night hunt - just a thought
you can get the thin round ones too if you want to try putting around the outside
the other day I could only make out the white wing nut on my coil support and that was enough to guide my scoop
but I have spots where theres a foot of silt or sea weed or what we call mung where you cant see your coil either
but like I said - if I can see clearly - makes all the difference in the world
Ive hunted with a few guys down in Fla. in clear water and watched them take scoop after scoop - some times 4-5 times to recover new drops
where if they had a mask - think it would have been faster for them

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Casper of all the hunters I would say your the most experienced that I know. I love the way you talk about the faints with the CZ.. I can really relate to that...
Used the glow stick several years ago in VB one nite, had the sweetest little thing come up to me and asked what I was doing.. never forget it..she just came out of the water and was totally without... :censored: ... the glow stick thing just never worked and I forgot.. but never forgot the little China Doll...

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
What about securing a detachable line to the scoop handle? What u guys using? Here in San Diego in order to get past the waves you have to go about 12 ft deep. So with that said, unless your doing scuba/snuba/hookah your gonna deal with swells and waves. It is a constant struggle keeping an eye on a Rouge wave and your shovel wacking into your expensive md. I try to get out neck deep. I figure 99% of the other guys stick to knee deep and fresh drop towel line finds around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions