Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent you a PM

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its legal, disconnect the battery, put it in your carry on and your shaft in your luggage... Other option is put it in a hard sided golf club bag.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
One point I would pass along pertains to packing. You didn't mention the type of shaft your Excal has but I can tell you from experience that a travel shaft, either 3 or 4 piece, packs extremely well and you can fit the entire unit in a normal size suitcase or backpack. Having said that, the battery, as Treasure Hunter advised, should be in your carry on. With my O/U travel shaft (by Plugger), I can fit the entire Excal in a carry on size back pack. Am I pushing the limits of carry on? Perhaps, but I like the idea of having that machine with me at all times.

Now what about your scoop and or digging tools? That must be checked. I have a break down travel scoop by RTG that answers the travel call.

As Treasure Hunter said, if you have a hard side golf case, that also works for everything...and hides what's really inside.

I would also carry the user manual so you can show the TSA what this electronic device is if they question you.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I had 2 hard shell gold bags, they served me very well UNTIL, the airlines stated charging $75 EACH WAY. That was 7 or 8 years ago.
I bought a RTG travel scoop - stainless steel - and a travel shaft that fit into my suitcase. Packed well with clothing and a few extra towels.
I've never had a problem either with the detector in my carry-on or checked bags.

If you take a taxi to a beach, make a return time and be there at that time for a ride back. I got stuck at a remote beach...a long walk in the dark. Or take your cellphone, mine worked in St. T. but I did not have a waterproof bag for it back then, I do now. Also have the Taxi Co. phone number and some money to pay for the ride home.

Good luck and HH.

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
I just got back from cancun. I put my 2 piece aluminum rtg scoop in my suit case with water shoes. I have a gym bag as my carry on bag that I put my Excal , batteries , charger , wrap ties and my 3 piece travel straight shaft that fits in the bag with no problems. Also I wrap my Excal , coil and head phones with my water pants and water shirts. It protects the gear and frees up space in the suit case. Most vacations that I have taken my Excal to, I find most of the bling Items in the Water. Also do a google map search of the areas you will be at and make a game plan of the areas to hit. Print the maps so when you get there you can spend more time detecting. Plan on finding lots of pull tabs. Bring a pair of toe nail clippers to cut the wrap ties if you tie your coil cable to your shaft. Also at customs if they ask the value of your detector, Tell them you bought it on ebay used for $250.00. They have tried to charge me A luxury tax to bring it in to the country. Also re charge your batteries when you get there. I have been on trips when I left home with charged batteries and when I hit the beach they died a hour later. Also ask the life guards and beach venders at the beaches if any one has lost any big ticket items. Also bring a small led light that straps on your head so you can go out at night. One more item go to a marine store and buy a small water proof bag. It looks like a zip lock baggy with cam locks. I keep my phone, money and a couple cigars for break time. If you are 420 friendly the beach venders can hook you up. Good luck Joe

Last edited:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much I can add to these suggestions Buzz! 4 days isn't enough. Good Luck!

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks this helped me, flying to bali soon, will be taking my excal aswell as most of my dive gear excluding tanks or weights will buy weights there and rent tanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread