How Sanded In is the Central Florida Gulf Coast?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the beaches your hunting were renourished with sand last year...you are going to be finding recent drops and with so many hunting the recent drops aren't going to be there long...we are having our worst year for gold finds since I started water hunting five years ago....I give a rating of 4.

OP
OP
C

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
@lookindown - Thank you for the perspective. Very helpful to understand the conditions we're hunting in especially since I'm so new to the hobby. Good luck out there!

Most of the beaches your hunting were renourished with sand last year...you are going to be finding recent drops and with so many hunting the recent drops aren't going to be there long...we are having our worst year for gold finds since I started water hunting five years ago....I give a rating of 4.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
East coast extremely sanded in, South Florida is bad as well, I have talked to multiple hunters in South Florida reporting very sanded in conditions....

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Er? What's sanded in mean?

On an island I have sand all the time? Is it something that fluctuates in Fl?

OP
OP
C

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Good question. "Sanded In" means that weather factors are pushing sand into shore putting items below detecting range. On the Gulf Coast of Florida the sand can build up very quickly adding many inches / feet over "overburden". For example, I was out this morning, dug one scoop and stood in the hole. Wiggled my foot to get lower and felt nothing but sand up to my knee. The hardpan was down there somewhere but much deeper that I can detect.

A times, one scoop and you'll be at the shell layer, next day or so the same area will be covered with too much sand.

Hope this helps!

Er? What's sanded in mean?

On an island I have sand all the time? Is it something that fluctuates in Fl?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand on East Coast beaches can fluctuate by multiple feet. The poles on Daytona Beach that blocks the driving traffic can be four feet over my head and later on be head high....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree 4..... just because you are in Fl and the beaches do get renurished year round. Got to put in the time and rotate beaches. Lot of people with the mumbles this year. I hunted a very popular beach the other day with 9 other water hunters passing by. Almost nothing to dig..... those who were digging was chasing targets the other guy dropped back in the water for him..... ugh. I talked to one guy who had hunted 3 hour.......for 3 cents.

Dew

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
As stated above, our beaches along Florida's east coast have been sanded in for quite some time now. The most probable finds you can expect until conditions significantly change are recent drops...and as the summer wanes into fall, the number of visiting depositors naturally decreases. As in all things however, "this too shall pass"

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Seems to me there's a guy with initials of GD that ALWAYS finds gold on the beach......hmmm

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember our rules please....

OP
OP
C

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the perspective and advice. "The mumbles" made me laugh.

i agree 4..... just because you are in Fl and the beaches do get renurished year round. Got to put in the time and rotate beaches. Lot of people with the mumbles this year. I hunted a very popular beach the other day with 9 other water hunters passing by. Almost nothing to dig..... those who were digging was chasing targets the other guy dropped back in the water for him..... ugh. I talked to one guy who had hunted 3 hour.......for 3 cents.

Dew

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Seems to me there's a guy with initials of GD that ALWAYS finds gold on the beach......hmmm

The beaches in question are much further south..Miami and Ft Lauderdale...and are known to attract many more depositors year 'round than some other beaches here in FL and a few really hard core detectorists make it a point to get out much more often than others and at all hours of the day and night. That would sum up my guess as to why a few have greater success than others where recent drops are concerned...and primarily recent drops. The treasure coast is still hiding good stuff beneath tons of sand. However, as I always say, that's just the view, or in this case, the guess, from my foxhole.8-)

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My foxhole's a bit sanded in right now too CDan. By the way, love your Blog. My favorite is the "On Leadership" commentary...GL and HH
The beaches in question are much further south..Miami and Ft Lauderdale...and are known to attract many more depositors year 'round than some other beaches here in FL and a few really hard core detectorists make it a point to get out much more often than others and at all hours of the day and night. That would sum up my guess as to why a few have greater success than others where recent drops are concerned...and primarily recent drops. The treasure coast is still hiding good stuff beneath tons of sand. However, as I always say, that's just the view, or in this case, the guess, from my foxhole.8-)

rancherjl

Jan 22, 2013
Palm Bay, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i ---- Garrett Ace 350 -------
propointer---------
wireless headphones---
lische with T handle --- stealth & rtg scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from Vero to Melbourne beach sanded in rated at a #4
only recent drops. beaches were re-sanded last year by the govt.
best bet is the towel line.

rancherjl Palm Bay, Florida

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Its the same all along the east coast from what I have been hearing. In north carolina its been a terrible summer. Our beaches were all replenished last year and there hasnt been a storm to take it away. Instead its been just getting more sanded in. Every once in a while there is a storm that takes part of a beach so you just have to be on the lookout and it seems to just fill back in pretty fast.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I say 5. Its the worst I've seen in 6 years

OP
OP
C

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
I was hoping to hear from you since we're in the same general area. Let's hope the winter and the record El Nino bring a few storms that remove sand (but hopefully do no further damage).

Good luck out there. I was at Anna Maria last Saturday and it was a bust. Surf was a little rough. Huge river of water close to the high tide line all along Manatee Beach and then a big sandbar prior before the water. In the water you could stand and just keep sinking. Way too sandy. Found less than 50 cents there and in front of the Sandbar Restaurant further north. :(

I'd say 5... has def. been a bad year.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sand dumped on beach.jpg

MILLIONS of $$$ wasted...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread